Warning of “Ecological Armageddon” After 75% Plunge in Insect Numbers

Shit, this year was the worst mosquito, tick, stink bug, weevil, gnat, sweat bee year I've ever seen. Just buggy as hell in general.

Apparently the %75 missing bugs stated in the article came to central Ohio.

I am a state over and we have the same issue. So I think they all just came east of Chicago. :/

All these folks who say numbers of human population is the problem really aren't serious. If they were, they'd commit suicide.

Kinda like Gore and the whole "greatest threat to the planet" thing while living in his mansion and jetting around the globe.

They propose a (final) solution, but expect it to only apply to others.

You think there are too many people on Earth? Lead by example.

All these folks who say numbers of human population is the problem really aren't serious. If they were, they'd commit suicide.

Kinda like Gore and the whole "greatest threat to the planet" thing while living in his mansion and jetting around the globe.

They propose a (final) solution, but expect it to only apply to others.

You think there are too many people on Earth? Lead by example.
By the same tone you must feel just as guilty being a human.

But they spread disease. Infected animals that survive the disease develop antibodies that resist the disease and the antibodies are passed on to the young so that future generations are born with a chance to survive bug Armageddon.

There is a mechanism of nature involved here and I would just say that one must be careful what one asks for, you just might get it.

But we wouldn't have the diseases to worry about without the vectors that spread them. Without these bugs, we wouldn't have to worry about them. Diseases don't just sporadically invade your body, they require a vector.

I REALLY hope I get a world without human parasite bugs, I really really do. It would be nice to be able to go outside on a mild night and not have to worry about getting chewed by a swarm of mosquitoes that could potentially make me sick.

Last edited:
Humans are a part of nature, and everything we do is natural. A skyscraper is every bit as natural as a termite mound. Manmade climate change would be natural as well.
Never said it was unnatural or that we are not a part of nature, but we are more capable than any other animal on the planet and, for better or worse, we think we know what we actually don't know (or just don't give a damn).
What I meant was that we, as any other animal, have an impact on the environmet. The issue is, though, that we have a huge impact on it because of the tech we use. That does not allow the environment to adapt (or the balance, that took ages to appear, just gets thrown out the window). Animals can have a negative impact on their surroundings, sure, but usually the process is slow and gradual, there appear processess in place that counter that.
I'm not trying to say "go green" or anything - heck, I'm a part of the problem. Don't want to get rid of my cars, pcs and other stuff and go live in a forest hut somewhere trying to lessen the impact on the environment. We do recycle here where I live, and I do sometimes try to do "the right thing" when it suits me, but as mentioned before - it's more of a token gesture than anything else at this point.

And, if you have numbers calculated by capturing large numbers of insects, and you have these numbers for both Summer and Fall as was stated, that does capturing 3,000+ a year contribute to the lessening population?

Or is Germany a Catch and Release state ?

And as some are mentioning or hinting around. Insect populations aren't necessarily a consistent thing. I was TDY to Killeen, TX back around 2005 and they were having a massive cricket infestation. Couldn't keep them out of my hotel room, I had them crawl in the damn bed with me. They were so bad that they were in patches on the walls of buildings visible from the street, crawling down the sidewalks 30 or more always in easy sight. It was freaky, but I think it's a once in a great while occurrence that isn't just limited to crickets.

Such things can change in cycles.

It also seems ridiculous to incur such a conclusion from catching them in one small spot on earth, like how does that tell us anything meaningful?

Back