Warning - iPhones will Set you on Fire!

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This is worth mentioning, but it is certainly not just an Apple "problem" at all. This joker FELL off his bicycle and his phone caught on fire. What happens when we puncture lithium ion batteries? Bad stuff. Very cool, but bad if you are wearing those stupid biker shorts. Fun lithium battery video....for fun.

An Australian man is asking Apple to warn the public about the dangers of mobile phone batteries after his iPhone 6 caught fire, leaving him with severe burns.

First world problems.

Joking aside wasn't there a girl whos phone burned a hole in her mattress without undergoing a bike accident?

I Strike Fear into the Hearts of the Masses

I read that as "I Strike Fear into the Hearts of Molasses"

I'm sure things like this happen more often, but all the news about phones + fire have just been iphones to my knowledge.

Any device with a lithium ion battery can set you on fire. When you drop your phone, tablet, ipod etc. wait a few minutes before pocketing it. Better safe than burned.

Last edited:
First world problems.

Joking aside wasn't there a girl whos phone burned a hole in her mattress without undergoing a bike accident?
yeah but she had it under her pillow and was using a cheap Chinese charger and the charger lit up at the connection.

doesn't the manual have warnings about the battery? my BLU does...

yeah but she had it under her pillow and was using a cheap Chinese charger and the charger lit up at the connection.

doesn't the manual have warnings about the battery? my BLU does...

I don't get why people spend $500+ on phones and then get garbage $2 chargers. A decent charger is maybe $10 at most.

First world problems.

Not just first world when you consider who buys iPhones.

The public should probably be warned about any product containing a lithium ion battery... I bet if you read the included documentation you would find a warning.

Any device with a lithium ion battery can set you on fire. When you drop your phone, tablet, ipod etc. wait a few minutes before pocketing it. Better safe than burned.

I think the issue is more how Apple tends to store the batteries inside the phones. They're very thin mylar/foil pillows laying directly against circuitry instead of a block with a plastic box surrounding the battery to reinforce it against punctures and bending.

Exactly. This should probably be in the title.
Reading beyond the headline is fundamental. "This is worth mentioning, but it is certainly not just an Apple "problem" at all. " And more to the point, in this story it was an iPhone that set him on fire.

I think the issue is more how Apple tends to store the batteries inside the phones. They're very thin mylar/foil pillows laying directly against circuitry instead of a block with a plastic box surrounding the battery to reinforce it against punctures and bending.
I think that is SOP for a lot of todays devices with no-user replaceable parts. The mylar/foil packaging is necessary to make devices thinner and save weight. Even hard shell plastic encased li-ion battery are susceptible to shock damage, it's the nature of the beast.

I agree that reading beyond the title is fundamental, but you know as well as I do that people here don't read beyond it.

Personally I don't care as I'm intelligent enough to actually read and comprehend, but reading obviously ignorant posts written by morons who don't read is tiresome.

The ignore feature works wonders, especially with people who have proven to post utter nonsense without thinking. Apple threads usually bring out people who don't want to have a rational discussion, heck people don't even realize what makes Lithium Ion batteries fail.

How many incidents have there been where someone got burned by a lithium ion battery? A handful or two? Out of billions and billions of devices with lithium-ion batteries. Apple has sold 1 billion iPhones. 51 people per year in the US die from being struck by lightning, how much time do you spend worrying about that?

The ignore feature works wonders, especially with people who have proven to post utter nonsense without thinking. Apple threads usually bring out people who don't want to have a rational discussion, heck people don't even realize what makes Lithium Ion batteries fail.

I only wish there was an "Ignored by X people" stat in user profiles on here...

If my large 7.5Ah lawn tool batteries ever decided to go up, it would be a nasty event.

Back