• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Warning for Laptop users

Mohonri

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
5,775
I had an unfortunate experience today. My laptop was folding along just fine on a 600-point GROMACS. I put it in standby, because I didn't have an outlet handy. A few hours passed, and I was then on the plane coming home. I took out the laptop, and checked the status. F@H aborted the WU with early_unit_end because it had not saved checkpoint files in 3 hours and wants to send the failure back.

I'm going to post this on the folding community forum to see what kind of response I get.
 
Bummer. I was curious if standby worked or not with F@H. I guess you answered my question. It's to bad that you lost your wu.

-MN Scout
 
That standby, hibernate, and shut hard disks down will not be nice to WU. :(
Sorry about that.

 
I mourn for the work unit. I have felt the pain myself. I was overclocking and neglected to turn off the service. Needless to say, I pushed hard enough to run Windows but too hard for folding. :(
 
MN Scout said:
Bummer. I was curious if standby worked or not with F@H. I guess you answered my question. It's to bad that you lost your wu.
It's ok with standby as long as it's not more than 3 hours between writing checkpoint files.

FYI, the thread on the folding-community forum (including replies) is here.
 
It's good to know that there is a 3 hr fail safe on the gromac core. That'd stink to get in an eternal loop and have F@H loopy for days on end. The 3 hr is a nice failsafe, but I guess we need to keep that in mind if we are using standby on our laptops. I'm going to file this tidbit away in my memory, so I can use it in a year when I buy a laptop. :D

More folding power!

-MN Scout
 
I dunno, I've slaughtered many a QMD/GROMAC on this lappy kicking the living hell out of it.

Then again, I hardly ever look at the txt file here, console version.

It's always smoking so that must be good. I think I've uploaded a WU driving 80 mph down the road.
 
Ok, I was happier not knowing.

Code from log:

Code:
Why ohh why are you doing this to me?  I give up, again.

Not pretty in there...
 
Ok I know by fact in the config you can set the folding to pause when the pc is on battery power, meaning if the power were to go out it will pause.

But I don't know if it will do the same with laptops
 
marty9876 said:
Ok, I was happier not knowing.

Code from log:

Code:
Why ohh why are you doing this to me?  I give up, again.

Not pretty in there...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Never had a problem folding on my laptop, hardly ever gets unplugged though.

Oldbenwa
 
Oldbenwa said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Never had a problem folding on my laptop, hardly ever gets unplugged though.

Oldbenwa


OMG, he lives.... wussy
 
Oldbenwa said:
Yep, there's my one post (now two) for the year. See you all in January!! :p :D

Oldbenwa
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance! (if you don't celebrate Christmas, then pretend i said "Winter Holidays" instead.)
 
Back
Top