Warning for Corsair 250D

astyler

Gawd
So I got this in the mail on Tuesday and put my build in. One problem: The MB is so high up in the case, that I cannot hook up power connectors to the video card without losing the top panel of the case.

EDIT:
Turns out the specs for my card that I was going by, from Newegg, were wrong/generic. My card is actually a full 1.5" taller than what newegg says (and 0.5" longer). So I guess the real warning here is don't trust reseller specs, always look at the spec sheets!

My card is 5.94" tall and is pretty much flush with the roof of this case. If you are considering the case, I hope this information finds you and helps you. I think that standard height cards (4.376"), the height of the top of the bracket, would be able to fit with about 1.6" of clearance. I think most waterblock ports would fit, but not those on big height cards (like Classifieds)

Last edited:
Which GPU do you have exactly?

This sent me on the hunt that identified the issue. It is an EVGA Classified 780. I was greedy in wanting a medium form factor system with this card, I know. It turns out the size specs on Newegg were wrong. Updated my post accordingly.

I might "step-up" to a reference TI. That should fit and allow a waterblock in the future.

There is a lot of room in this case, but it was a good SFF step for me and my fat fingers.

P.S. my card is 278mm, case says 290mm. I had to squeeze it trough the opening to get it into the case, it was 1mm too long I would say. I think for the extra 10mm length, you would have to put the card into the case diagonal and suspend it, then install the motherboard.

Just in case others haven't seen my prior warning for this case I will add it here as well....

You can not properly fit a normal 200mm front fan (A thin one would probably work if you could find one) + 240mm radiator in this case. At least not any way I can see.

The radiator has two mounting options, a lower set of holes that are closer to the back and a higher set that are closer to the front. If you use a 200mm fan you have to use the lower set of holes because otherwise you won't have room to connect the 120mm fan closest to the front of the case. However, you can't use the lower set because the lower tube of the radiator (H100i in my case) ends up having to be severely bent to avoid the left-most I/O ports on the motherboard (In the case of the ASUS Z87i-Deluxe these are the 4 USB 2.0 ports). I did actually get this to work anyway, but the lower tube is kinked a bit and the USB 2.0 ports have a lot of pressure on them, to the point that the upper two can not be used. I have since switched to a 140mm fan for the front and was able to route the lower tube behind the USB ports without it hitting anything.

Do you have a picture of this? I was hoping to mount mine to the right side of the case (viewing from the front), but I imagined the ports being toward the front, away from the MB.

Do you have a picture of this? I was hoping to mount mine to the right side of the case (viewing from the front), but I imagined the ports being toward the front, away from the MB.

If you put the ports toward the front of the case then the 200mm fan will be in the way.

I don't have pics, but you can see what I am talking about in the back in some of the online reviews of this case, such as the Hardocp review....

In this first pic you can see how the radiator is mounted in the highest and furthest left (toward the front) position:

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTM4OTk5MDYyNGJNb1lJZHRQb3JfNV8xMl9sLmpwZw==

In this one you can see how the lower tube is touching the I/O panel and how if it were further towards the back it would definitely be impeded by the I/O panel. It is

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTM4OTk5MDYyNGJNb1lJZHRQb3JfNV8xM19sLmpwZw==

And in this pic you can see how mounting the radiator the other way would cause the tubes to be impeded by the 200mm fan. This is with a thicker radiator than the H100i, but the issue would still be there since the tubes need space to turn, and have to get around the fans attached to the radiator as well:

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTM4OTk5MDYyNGJNb1lJZHRQb3JfNV8xN19sLmpwZw==

Last edited:
I see, thanks. It looks like you couldn't even put a fan on that radiator without hitting the daughter board of the MB. Is it just super thick? It seems like with a standard width ~35mm radiator you should be able to put a normal fan on, but now, with these photos, it's looking like slim-only, which is tough for a top tier VGA and CPU (for a single 240). Looking in my case now, there is a hair over an inch of space between my fan on that side and the daughter board.

Is a single 200mm radiator in the front the best option for WC in this case?

The daughter board is not a problem at all with a normal radiator and fans, and also works with a thick radiator and thin fans. The H100i fits just fine. The radiator in that third picture I linked requires thin fans. This was all discussed in the HardOCP review.

I don't think a 200mm radiator would work in the front unless you removed the 5.25" bay. I was using a Coolermaster 200mm fan that wasn't squared-off like a radiator would be and it was close to blocking the bay. If the radiator was any more than about 205mm or so in real dimensions it might be an issue.

But as I said.. A 240mm radiator works fine on the side with a 140mm on the front, as long as you don't use a thick radiator and normal fans at the same time.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've already removed the bay, so I'd definitely be interested in the 200mm option. People get a CPU/GPU working on a single 240mm rad in the M1, and I realized a 200mm x 200m was a lot more surface area than that (400 vs 288). The 240 and 140 combo would be 288+196=484. Both should be ample for cooling.

I'm wondering if the 200mm rad with a 200mm fan would allow enough room for a long GPU. I'll double check and post what I find. It would be nice just to remove the complexity of using two radiators I think. Definitely has its sacrifices.

Back