Warner Bros. Picks Blu-Ray Over HD-DVD

Its obvious that you do not know much about Microsoft. You are just a fanboy spewing bullshit because you have all this feelings trapped inside your brain about microsoft that you want to get it out.

Here are some things you should consider before saying "OMG OMG MICROSOFT DOESNT GIVE A SHIT OMGOMGBBQSAUCE!!"

Microsoft is a software company. The only reason they had a HDDVD drive out for Xbox360 is because they cannot adopt Blu Ray since Sony is a direct competitor in the console market. Microsoft supports both BluRay and HDDVD in their Operating Systems. If you cared to watch the Bill Gates CES keynote, he himself mentioned that microsoft is more dedicated to content being streamend directly from servers/internet. Hence, you can stop crapping your pants everytime some one mentions microsoft.

We would be stuck with smaller crappier discs and a far more limited experience. Very few people even no what region codes and DRM are and even fewer care. But I bet they know the difference between 50 and 30.
They *know* the difference, but won't see the difference. I know that because I am very skeptical of how my video playback looks, and on my 1080p projector at 105'' sitting 10 feet away I can't tell. The average owner with a smaller 1080p screen for sure wouldn't tell.

But the 51GB disk is done and was probably going to be released this year, but probably not now, lol.

People were saying the exact same thing back when DVD was introduced. The DRM on the discs was "unacceptable." Then what happened? It got cracked. And so will the DRM on Blu-ray. I think managed copy is the biggest joke in the business. You claim to hate DRM, but you accept DRM with a single-copy limitation internet callback as a rallying point? That makes no sense. Unless the stuff is intrusive, it's a totally moot issue, and it won't become instrusive with any success. Consumers have shown no tolerance for this kind of DRM in the past and it has resulted in bad press and bad sales. They do it again, and it just won't last, so your fears are irrational.

I generally agreed with your points, but I disagree about the public and DRM on movies. The vast majority of people don't make back up copies of movies they own. They may copy a movie from Blockbuster so they don't have to buy it....and a few may backup some kid flicks, but there's not this massive objection to movie DRM. I don't like it, but let's be honest, the last time that Movies were largely distributed without copy protection was the mid-80's. And yes, it was breakable, but I knew very few people who had the equipment to do so, and frankly anyone who did get it, got it for one reason: to copy rented movies.

Now that may change if media servers become the norm, but we're not even close to that point.

Now if we were talking about music, I'd agree 100%, because music has always been easy to copy.

They *know* the difference, but won't see the difference. I know that because I am very skeptical of how my video playback looks, and on my 1080p projector at 105'' sitting 10 feet away I can't tell. The average owner with a smaller 1080p screen for sure wouldn't tell.

But the 51GB disk is done and was probably going to be released this year, but probably not now, lol.

Perhaps, but that doesn't help me as a computer user. I already find 1 layer change annoying. 2 would really suck if a movie was long enough to take up more than 2 layers.

It's not a problem that a few MB of ram wouldn't fix, but I've yet to see a dvd player that I didn't notice the change, and when i saw the last Bond flick at my brother's over Thanksgiving, I saw one as well, so I guess toshiba didn't have enough ram to make it seemless. You'd think they'd have solved this years ago, given how inexpensive ram is.

Its obvious that you do not know much about Microsoft.
Do you work there?
You are just a fanboy spewing bullshit because you have all this feelings trapped inside your brain about microsoft that you want to get it out.
Nope, guess not. They would not hire you
Here are some things you should consider before saying "OMG OMG MICROSOFT DOESNT GIVE A SHIT OMGOMGBBQSAUCE!!"
Hmmm... your post about a fanboy is starting to sound like you.

Microsoft is a software company.
Thanks wikipedia
The only reason they had a HDDVD drive out for Xbox360 is because they cannot adopt Blu Ray since Sony is a direct competitor in the console market.
Please ask someone how to use google and then do some research on HDi and VC-1

Microsoft supports both BluRay and HDDVD in their Operating Systems.
Much in the same way they support Linux and anti-trust legislation.
If you cared to watch the Bill Gates CES keynote,
No thanks, I already had intestinal cramps once this month.
he himself mentioned that microsoft is more dedicated to content being streamend directly from servers/internet. Hence, you can stop crapping your pants everytime some one mentions microsoft.
Wow thanks, Bill's wisdom has shown me the light. They truly are a good and pure company that was surely mentioned in the Bible somewhere.

Just wait till the 8-layer Blu-ray movie layer changes. :p

Thank god that'll never happen. Actually it wouldn't be bad, if they had 25GB of movie and the other 7 layers were all extras....or they had a different versions of the same movie.....or if you wanted to watch all 3 extended editions of LOTR back to back (or better still as one seemless flick).

Yeah, that would be pretty awesome. :D

The only thing though.. it requires a more powerful laser with a different aperture. The layers are semi-reflective and degrade the laser's readability after 3 or 4 layers. It is too error prone. :(

Yeah, that would be pretty awesome. :D

The only thing though.. it requires a more powerful laser with a different aperture. The layers are semi-reflective and degrade the laser's readability after 3 or 4 layers. It is too error prone. :(

They can take there time. i'm sure it'll be a few years before I have a 70" screen in front of the toilet, which is the only place you could watch between 10 and 12 hours of LOTR without interruption ;)

I'm pretty sure we'll see some other form of optical media before they get to that many layers. Or if the world really prefers downloading :)mad:) video, then it'd just require bandwidth.

I like my dvd's with pictures on one side, shiny metal on the other and cases with artwork on it. :D

Fuck, if Paramount did this, it would be great... it wouldn't be long before Universal gave up and I could watch the Bourne movies on Blu-Ray.

If Paramount switches back to Blu-Ray, HD-DVD is officially done.

Fuck, if Paramount did this, it would be great... it wouldn't be long before Universal gave up and I could watch the Bourne movies on Blu-Ray.

If Paramount switches back to Blu-Ray, HD-DVD is officially done.

When all studios are under Blu-Ray, HD DVD will be officially done.

and you might want to read this:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ramount/DreamWorks:__Still_Supporting_HD_DVD_[UPDATED]/1345

Oh and lastly, Universal has been heavily invested in HD DVD and still is so don't expect them to be switching formats anytime soon. They aren't too fond of Sony to begin with after the BETAMAX lawsuit during the 80's.

Oh and lastly, Universal has been heavily invested in HD DVD and still is so don't expect them to be switching formats anytime soon. They aren't too fond of Sony to begin with after the BETAMAX lawsuit during the 80's.

Universal Music releases concerts and such on both Blu-Ray and HD DVD. I would not be surprised if over the next couple months we saw NBC Universal TV series and movies on both as well.

These are sad times =(. I was really rooting for HD-DVD. I do own both players. Blu Ray through my PS3 & a standalone HD-DVD Player, 2nd gen Toshiba. I really liked the HD-DVD a whole lot more with the load of features it had & the movies that took advantage of it. Had superior audio quality as well through the setup I had. Sucks when the consumer has to settle for less in Blu Ray. Son finally won something. It won't go unforgotten though. I'm sure someone is waiting to thrash them when the chance comes.

When all studios are under Blu-Ray, HD DVD will be officially done.

and you might want to read this:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ramount/DreamWorks:__Still_Supporting_HD_DVD_[UPDATED]/1345

HDDVD sure will be a fine format with just Universal putting out movies wouldnt it? Serious how can people like you not see the light. When everyone but Universal has moved to Blu-Ray, obviously Universal HAS to change their stance at some point in the near future. Its about money, liking or not liking a company has nothing to do with it at that point.

These are sad times =(. I was really rooting for HD-DVD. I do own both players. Blu Ray through my PS3 & a standalone HD-DVD Player, 2nd gen Toshiba. I really liked the HD-DVD a whole lot more with the load of features it had & the movies that took advantage of it. Had superior audio quality as well through the setup I had. Sucks when the consumer has to settle for less in Blu Ray. Son finally won something. It won't go unforgotten though. I'm sure someone is waiting to thrash them when the chance comes.

What do you have ur PS3 plugged up with RCA cables or something? Blu-Ray has the superior audio capability due to the space for lossless audio. Blu-Ray has the features HDDVD has now and then some since the 1.1. Consumers definitely are not settling for less.

From a technical standpoint alone, BD was/is far superior.

Blu-Ray movies have 65% lossless movies out there, while HDDVD has 20%. Yeah settling for less...

What do you have ur PS3 plugged up with RCA cables or something? Blu-Ray has the superior audio capability due to the space for lossless audio. Blu-Ray has the features HDDVD has now and then some since the 1.1. Consumers definitely are not settling for less.

From a technical standpoint alone, BD was/is far superior.

Blu-Ray movies have 65% lossless movies out there, while HDDVD has 20%. Yeah settling for less...
:confused: Dolby TrueHD, a lossless codec, is mandatory on HD DVD. Therefore, 100% of HD DVDs have lossless audio. However, Blu-ray has considerably better DTS support, and has the ability for higher bitrate video (40Mbps!), which is why I consistently vouched for Blu-ray from day one.

:confused: Dolby TrueHD, a lossless codec, is mandatory on HD DVD. Therefore, 100% of HD DVDs have lossless audio. However, Blu-ray has considerably better DTS support, and has the ability for higher bitrate video (40Mbps!), which is why I consistently vouched for Blu-ray from day one.

It may be a lossless codec, but most consider Linear PCM to be true lossless, which most HDDVDs cant handle due to space/bandwidth constraints.

And only 20% of HDDVDs support that as far as i know. Virtually all new Blu-Rays have linear PCM audio.

:confused: Dolby TrueHD, a lossless codec, is mandatory on HD DVD. Therefore, 100% of HD DVDs have lossless audio.

You don't know what you're talking about. Mandatory doesn't mean discs have to use it, it just means it's part of the spec and players have to support it. Only 20% of HD-DVD discs have lossless audio. Transformers itself didn't have lossless audio, they were strapped for space because of extras.

You don't know what you're talking about. Mandatory doesn't mean discs have to use it, it just means it's part of the spec and players have to support it. Only 20% of HD-DVD discs have lossless audio. Transformers itself didn't have lossless audio, they were strapped for space because of extras.
Whoops, I had no idea. Thanks for the info.

Now that Microsoft's Xbox could consider Blu-ray support, Universals HD DVD exclusivivity has expired and Paramount preparing to use a, get out clause in its HD DVD exclusivity and go back to Blu-ray, it will not be long until you can use the hammer to drive the final nail in the coffin. My brother told me that his Wal-Mart store had 10 HD DVD Players on the shelf and pulled them. He was told that the store did not want to piss off their coustomers by selling them a product that had no future.

lol, Wal-mart will sell anything and everything, as long as its made overseas. They're probably just taking them to Sam's Club to sell them. :D

Here's another reason why I didn't buy into Blu-Ray, and was apparent from the start:

http://consumerist.com/344116/buyer...-dvd-players-wont-correctly-play-future-discs

Here is the bulk of it:

Representatives at the Blu-ray booth at CES told BetaNews that the PlayStation 3 is currently the only player they would recommend, due to upcoming changes to the platform. But Pioneer, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony have all been selling standalone Blu-ray players to customers.

So here's how it's going to work: current players are Profile 1.0, and can play future hi-def discs but no bonus stuff. Profile 1.1 dics will include additional bonus material that won't play on 1.0 players—these discs will have a "Bonus View" sticker. Come October, Profile 2 capability will come to the market, which includes Internet activity, but only on Profile 2.0 players—these discs will have a "BD Live" sticker.

When asked why current players were released to the market when in such a primitive state, manufacturers blamed the release of HD DVD and said it forced them to come to market too soon. "We should have waited another year to introduce Blu-ray to the public, but the format war changed the situation." Okay, well how about we just don't buy any Blu-ray players for a while (not counting the PS3) until you guys decide to get your act together?

One of many reasons why I did not support this format from the get go.

Here's another reason why I didn't buy into Blu-Ray, and was apparent from the start:

http://consumerist.com/344116/buyer...-dvd-players-wont-correctly-play-future-discs

Here is the bulk of it:

Representatives at the Blu-ray booth at CES told BetaNews that the PlayStation 3 is currently the only player they would recommend, due to upcoming changes to the platform. But Pioneer, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony have all been selling standalone Blu-ray players to customers.

So here's how it's going to work: current players are Profile 1.0, and can play future hi-def discs but no bonus stuff. Profile 1.1 dics will include additional bonus material that won't play on 1.0 players—these discs will have a "Bonus View" sticker. Come October, Profile 2 capability will come to the market, which includes Internet activity, but only on Profile 2.0 players—these discs will have a "BD Live" sticker.

When asked why current players were released to the market when in such a primitive state, manufacturers blamed the release of HD DVD and said it forced them to come to market too soon. "We should have waited another year to introduce Blu-ray to the public, but the format war changed the situation." Okay, well how about we just don't buy any Blu-ray players for a while (not counting the PS3) until you guys decide to get your act together?

One of many reasons why I did not support this format from the get go.

reason for not supporting the bluray format... huh?? i guess thats one way to look at, another way would be to not support the companies who put out players that couldn't be upgraded with a simple firmware release. Its funny how people always say bluray is all sony and sony is evil but you point out now its blurays fault for the lazy companies crap. get your head out of your ass, you sound just as stupid as people who actually bought anything but the ps3 as a bluray player!

reason for not supporting the bluray format... huh?? i guess thats one way to look at, another way would be to not support the companies who put out players that couldn't be upgraded with a simple firmware release. Its funny how people always say bluray is all sony and sony is evil but you point out now its blurays fault for the lazy companies crap. get your head out of your ass, you sound just as stupid as people who actually bought anything but the ps3 as a bluray player!

Wow who whizzed in your corn flakes. Bit hostile aren't we?

Sorry but Sony is the biggest backer for the format being a Movie studio and hardware manufacturer, with the most invested in it because of the PS3. So please don't try and whitewash with your insults that they are absolved of this. Also not the manufacturers of the players fault when a standard isn't defined before you release it. Sony pushed it early for the PS3, which is why it had to come out when it did. Especially since including BluRay already caused the delay of the PS3 because of the blue diode parts shortage in the first place. So yeah great decision on their part that in the end will screw over the early Blu-Ray adopters (minus the PS3 bunch, lucky for them) who paid alot of money.

Sorry but not a smart bunch (Blu-Ray Group/Consortium), but unfortunately Movie Studios and such care more about profits than their consumers so oh well. Maybe once the get a firm version, and we see that 50% price reduction that Sony is boasting, and when they allow copies to a format other than their own PSP, then it might be worth buying. Otherwise it's all about them and controlling the format and making more money (and not ending up like the music industry, with no control over the media format).

At this point it is moot becasue we all know HD-DVD is about to get boned but my thing about lossless audio is I can't tell a difference if it is lossless or not. Maybe it's cause I lost a few octaves growing up on Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Iron Madien, Megadeth and Ministry. But at any rate I have a question about extras who actaully watches them. I did a impromptu survey at work out of the 82 people at work that I talked to none of them have ever watched extra's on dvd's. People always mention the extra's and how Blu-Ray has HD extras and HD-DVD only has SD extra's honestly who cares. Strip out the extra's, previews for other movies and just give me my damn movie at a cheaper cost. I have not jumped on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray due to cost. I won't buy a regular dvd untill it's around 10 bucks, no way am I gonna blow 25 to 35 dollars on one HD movie it's just not worth it to me. That's my rant I feel better now :D.

Sorry but not a smart bunch (Blu-Ray Group/Consortium), but unfortunately Movie Studios and such care more about profits than their consumers so oh well. Maybe once the get a firm version, and we see that 50% price reduction that Sony is boasting, and when they allow copies to a format other than their own PSP, then it might be worth buying. Otherwise it's all about them and controlling the format and making more money (and not ending up like the music industry, with no control over the media format).

Who cares really. The Profile 1.1 stuff is picture in picture. Don't care. Profile 2 stuff is connecting your player to the net, REALLY don't care.

Profile 1.0 players will still play the movies and the extras I care about, like making of features. I could care less about bells about picture in picture or internet connectivity. I just want to watch the movie or the other features.

You are making mountains out of mole hills.

Maybe it's cause I lost a few octaves growing up on Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Iron Madien, Megadeth and Ministry.

I always think about that when thinking about lossless audio. I can't tell the difference, even when someone points out the subtle differences, i come away thinking "was that the big deal?"

Anyway, after reading about the upcoming BD Live giving us a total of 3 versions, and thinking that HD-DVD has had all these features since day one, why did HD-DVD lose again?

It may be a lossless codec, but most consider Linear PCM to be true lossless, which most HDDVDs cant handle due to space/bandwidth constraints.
Packed or unpacked, lossless is lossless. The term itself perfectly represents the content: you lose nothing.

If you want to make an argument against HD-DVD, at least try to make a semi-intelligent one.

Sorry but Sony is the biggest backer for the format being a Movie studio and hardware manufacturer, with the most invested in it because of the PS3.

thanx for again pointing out it inst Sony's brand but their investment. Not sure why you would point that out when your trying to prove a point to me but thanx :rolleyes:

Also not the manufacturers of the players fault when a standard isn't defined before you release it. Sony pushed it early for the PS3, which is why it had to come out when it did. Especially since including BluRay already caused the delay of the PS3 because of the blue diode parts shortage in the first place.

Sony managed to put out a player that works with future upgrades and yet your still to stupid to see its the companies fault and not the format, sure its being tweaked but its up to the company to be ready for changes. Specially when they do know there will be changes being made, that or they are blindly backing a format and needs better or more involved staff...

So please don't try and whitewash with your insults that they are absolved of this.

thats funny coming from someone who cant even get his shit right but likes to blame blame blame and then try to walk away like your correct about your opinions.

Uh you missed my point, but not surprising from someone who has to flavor his comments with junk.

Blu-Ray is a group, but the primary backer, and most invested in it, and controlling factor is Sony, so for all intents and purposes it is theirs. The decision to roll out an unfinished format, ergo is theirs since they wanted to get the PS3 out the door.

Sorry maybe you could understand better if I put in sh*t like you do, when you think your making a point, or thinking your all that.

thanx for again pointing out it inst Sony's brand but their investment. Not sure why you would point that out when your trying to prove a point to me but thanx :rolleyes:

Sony managed to put out a player that works with future upgrades and yet your still to stupid to see its the companies fault and not the format, sure its being tweaked but its up to the company to be ready for changes. Specially when they do know there will be changes being made, that or they are blindly backing a format and needs better or more involved staff...

thats funny coming from someone who cant even get his shit right but likes to blame blame blame and then try to walk away like your correct about your opinions.

Who cares really. The Profile 1.1 stuff is picture in picture. Don't care. Profile 2 stuff is connecting your player to the net, REALLY don't care.

Profile 1.0 players will still play the movies and the extras I care about, like making of features. I could care less about bells about picture in picture or internet connectivity. I just want to watch the movie or the other features.

You are making mountains out of mole hills.

The unfortunate folks who bought a Blu-Ray player thinking they could play all Blu-Ray discs that's who cares. You know like DVD's and CD's and most major consumer products. Not how you build faith in a brand.

Just because you don't (no idea if you even own a Blu-Ray player or not) but folks who spent from $400 - $1000 depending on when they bought it, might have a different opinion.

The unfortunate folks who bought a Blu-Ray player thinking they could play all Blu-Ray discs that's who cares. You know like DVD's and CD's and most major consumer products. Not how you build faith in a brand.

Again, you are exaggerating. The profile 1 players will play all movies, they just won't play the extra features they don't support (Pip and internet).

The idea of having to upgrade the fucking Blu-Ray player in my home theater every so often just to gain access to the functionality that should have been enabled from the get-go is more than a little frustrating. The fact that there was a deadline from the BDA stating that any player released after October 31st would have to be Profile 1.1 compliant that Sony circumvented by releasing the BDP-S500 (a non-1.1-compatible player) a few weeks before the cutoff is highly questionable. Basically, I have a very bad feeling about Blu-Ray and its future, with regards to Sony's control over it, the profit-driven nature of the format, the broken nature of the technology's DRM (and the idea that the BDA will try to "fix" this in the future with even more consumer-unfriendly DRM)...the list goes on.

Again, you are exaggerating. The profile 1 players will play all movies, they just won't play the extra features they don't support (Pip and internet).
As somebody who's been researching this for a few weeks now, take a look at any consumer electronics review site (epinions, hell, even Circuit City / Best Buy) and you'll find mention of certain players not being able to play certain movies without certain updates or workarounds. The Profile 1 players *should* be able to play all movies, but they can't yet.

Back