Warmonger Multiplayer Test

signed up for it. this is THE game I've been waiting for since I got my PhysX card. I pass NetDevil's campus on my way to work (they're in Louisville, CO) :D

w00t! i just got the email that I was chosen for the beta! I'll be downloading that bitch ASAP! I'll post screenies if you guys want/don't get an invite.

had a chance to play Warmonger last night and I must say that I'm more than a little disappointed. First, there are several bugs in the menu GUI where, for example, it wouldn't let me remap my keys despite offering me the option to do so.

Graphically, the flags are really "ugly" -- nowhere near as fluid as the cloth in the cloth tech demo. Character animations of opponents look like animations from Quake II or the like. It's _just_ the standard run, jump, crouch animations and there is no connecting animation between them. Maybe I'm spoiled by Half-Life 2's animation system but this busted the immersion for me.

Also, there are some real clipping issues -- especially when "physics-enabled" items are right next to and touching "non-physics-items." the physics items remain solid body and sometimes bleed into and through the non-physics items. i most noticed this with walls (a car sticking through a wall), though I also saw it with some debris on the ground.

Finally, the PhysX effects are sparse. Yes, they are gameplay physics effects (a building/car explodes and the debris can hurt you) but not _everything_ is destructible like NetDevil and AGEIA advertised. I emptied four clips of my machine gun into the same building and all I got was the normal "ding" texture in the side of the building. No actual structural damage to the building at all.

this is really sad for me as I had been really looking forward to Warmonger and thought that it would finally show off the PhysX core with real gameplay affecting changes. unfortunately, it appears I was wrong. :(

It's a beta version, if you read your agreements you should notice that the quality of the version is not the actual product.

It's a beta version, if you read your agreements you should notice that the quality of the version is not the actual product.

Actually, the video is not what is undergoing the beta test. It's just the multiplayer component. Also, if it's 'beta' and they intend to fix it, they need to do it before Tuesday which is the official release date.

I wait till the release version is out and take it for a spin.

First they claim " everything is destructable." well don't know if they say that exactly or something similair. I don't make my expectation on that. wat I expect is some global interaction with structures that's for sure. I know PPU has a limit. I also know what ageia island brings to the table. It give a grassp at it's limit's

It's much more Phsyics. But of course somewhere the Glops are used up and there nothing left. A full scale destructable enviorment is a very heavy Phsyics load. So you must spread a larg part of PPU power to do Phsyics over the complete enviorment for this one Phsyics feature.
This means the Physics fine grain fidelity could be a bit crude.
That is is what I expect.

A PPU3 on 45nm with 1terra Flops would do a lot more in detail and at game global scale.
For what we realy wish what must be in there.
I would more focus on how this Gameplay Physics influence the gameplay.

It might be for some one Expectation the need PPU's in Okt sLI :)

Is the gameplay fun.

Is the gameplay fun.

While I'm sure others will disagree, for me the answer is 'NO' - the gameplay is not fun. Most of it revolves not around the physics per se, but rather because of the other points I noted about their usage of the UT3 engine being sub-par. Items sticking through walls, poor character animations, etc. It all adds together to distract from the gameplay. My other note about not being able to reconfigure my controls impacted my gameplay experience because I play with the numeric pad rather than with WASD.

I _sure_ hope that they polish it before Tuesday. I, alone, have submitted about 25 bug reports via their bug reporting page and the emails that the beta testers get alludes to the fact that other folks are reporting lots of bugs, too.

Sucks to be me, I can't even access the ftp site from the e-mail they sent me. Dunno what could be the problem. I figure I'll wait for the public release to give it a try.

Sucks to be me, I can't even access the ftp site from the e-mail they sent me. Dunno what could be the problem. I figure I'll wait for the public release to give it a try.

are you using a dedicated FTP client or via a web browser? web browser FTP failed for me but BulletProof FTP worked a charm.

The game have fantastic physics effects, but performance need to be optimised.
Performance in some ocasions dips to low 20's. Multiplayer games need 60 fps to be playable, or else the mouse begin to lag.
I'm playing this on a q6660 + 8800GTX + bfg physx card
Sometimes, the game freezes and I have to hit reset button, anyone had this problem too?

The game have fantastic physics effects, but performance need to be optimised.
Performance in some ocasions dips to low 20's. Multiplayer games need 60 fps to be playable, or else the mouse begin to lag.
I'm playing this on a q6660 + 8800GTX + bfg physx card
Sometimes, the game freezes and I have to hit reset button, anyone had this problem too?

be careful criticizing the game or expressing opinions at all or you'll end up with a "warning" email from AGEIA like I did.:rolleyes:

I'm free to give my opinion regardless of ageia warnings.
The game have potential, it just need some bug correction and performance optimisation, and a basic thing like 16:10 resolution support.
This demo also shows the difference between using hardware physx and software.

I'm free to give my opinion regardless of ageia warnings.
The game have potential, it just need some bug correction and performance optimisation, and a basic thing like 16:10 resolution support.
This demo also shows the difference between using hardware physx and software.

can you check your install and see if it will let you remap the keys? that's a BIG BIG BIG point of contention for me.

No key remap for me either. But remember this is a very beta demo, it lacks very options.
My main concerns is the hardlocks and crashes. Just a while ago, when I end the training mission I was greeted with a general protection error.
Have you experienced such problems?

No key remap for me either. But remember this is a very beta demo, it lacks very options.
My main concerns is the hardlocks and crashes. Just a while ago, when I end the training mission I was greeted with a general protection error.
Have you experienced such problems?

Fortunately, I haven't had any crashes -- just the annoying interface and graphical issues.

However, I _think_ (still doing testing) that the Comrade software that gets installed is somehow conflicting with Steam and Half-Life 2 causing HL2 to crash. Comrade leaves some services running that appear to be conflicting with Steam's online community component. I've only done informal testing thus far but I plan on getting to the bottom of it this weekend when I have some more free time.

As some of you know, we’ve opened NetDevil’s Warmonger: Downtown Destruction for beta testing. We’re still looking for people to help us in the multiplayer game testing. The minimum specs for this game to play well are:

• Dual Core Processor, 2GHz or higher
• 2 GB DDR2 RAM
• GeForce 7900 GT (or ATI equivalent) GeForce 8800 series (or ATI equivalent) preferred
• AGEIA PhysX card - of course

Please keep in mind that this is a beta candidate and that is not the final build – ergo the beta testing. Comments on the game must be kept off public lists so that we don’t spoil first hand impressions of those who are not participating in the program. If you agree to the terms and are still interested in working with me on this, I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Please send me an email outlining your computer specs and your location. In return I will send you information on where to find the game and game servers.

To all of you who have been participating in beta testing so far, thank you. Your comments are very valuable to us so keep them coming. We are working around the clock to optimize the game.

Marti
[email protected]

Don't hijack my thread Marti! Lol, j/k. Thanks for the update on what's going on with the testing. @Sven - I'll give the bulletproof ftp thing a shot later tonight. Thanks for the help!

---------------------------
General protection fault!

History: Address = 0x7f37b8 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files\Netdevil\Warmonger\Binaries\WMGame.exe]

OK

When I boot up, haven't been able to play.

Same error here. I thought it was related to me being on an x64 platform, but apparently not.

svet any news on that Comrade vs Steam/HL2 conflict? I'm really curious about that.

svet any news on that Comrade vs Steam/HL2 conflict? I'm really curious about that.

On Saturday morning I did a complete system reinstall and install HL2/Portal/Steam with nothing else installed except the device drivers. In this configuration I was able to play about 90% of portal without a crash (previously, it would crash every 5 minutes or so). However, it did still crash. So, I have to say that it's not Comrade/HL2 causing the crashes since it still crashed in the same manner without Comrade or Warmonger installed.

Just got this:

Hi,

Looks like one of the files in the new build did not upload well. We’re in the process of resubmitting files for upload to the server. Please stay tuned and apologies for the inconvenience.

Marti

Apparently game was delayed til holidays

http://ageia.com/physx/warmonger.html

Warmonger Ship Date Update

We’ve recently undergone some additional online field testing with a select group of PhysX beta testers and have gotten great feedback. We want to take advantage of the feedback and ensure that Warmonger is 100 percent polished and truly shines as the best next-gen, hardware-accelerated physics and UE3 based game. Therefore, there will be a slight delay in shipment in order to make a few functional adjustments and server infrastructure improvements. We are committed to rolling Warmonger in time for the holidays. We apologize for any inconveniences and will send notification as soon as possible once a new date is determined.

For More Information on Warmonger, visit NetDevil's Warmonger site, warmongergame.com.

probably for the best.

I haven't been able to play yet, stupid error :(! What did you think of it, level design wise and usage of physics and whatnot?

I haven't been able to play yet, stupid error :(! What did you think of it, level design wise and usage of physics and whatnot?
see above for my thoughts on the first beta release. like you and others I haven't been able to play RC3 either.

RC3 worked. Only played for a bit, I have heating issues so I can't play long before artifacts come up. I think it's pretty cool so far. Definitely liked the subway level.

This game is very demanding, I have to admit this is one of the rare games that make my gpu card fan speed up even after only 5 mins of gameplay.

The only time the game hardlocked on me was last week when I was testing 1066Mhz memory n my rig (failed attempt btw).

This is the most demanding game I ever tested. I thought I had a stable overclocked system, which ran hours of prime and never freeze on any game.
I ran this demo and my system freezed in less than 10 min. I had to lower my cpu overclock just to run this game. It's a true stability benchmark. Try it and get I mean.

I thought I had a stable overclocked system, which ran hours of prime and never freeze on any game.

Did you check your PCI bus when you overclocked?Usually when I overclock a system I disable timing on unused slots, this helps.It's always easier to overclock w/o soundcards, pci cards in general, even RAID and SLi in some cases.

So yeah this one is a very good to test a machine stability, UT3 engine is wonderfull so far.

Back