Warm- Velociraptor $199 at Bestbuy 2/01/09

smoothmove

Limp Gawd
They are having a 20% off sale on all WD HD's.

Picked up two raptors for $199 each.

I picked up 2 160GB Veloci's off of eBay for $213 shipped. I thought that was a steal....

The 160GB version is a Raptor. When they updated to the 300GB version they name changed from Raptor to Velociraptor.

Note that the product number is "GLFS" and not "HLFS". I believe the only difference is the GLFS has the 2.5" drive centered in the 3.5" heatsink, so the data and power connections are in a non-standard location for a 3.5" drive. The HLFS have the 2.5" drive moved over so the data and power connections are in the "right" place. The GLFS won't work with a lot of 3.5" drive enclosures.

Good to know about the differences. Who's going to put a velociraptor in a hdd enclosure though?

The 160GB version is a Raptor. When they updated to the 300GB version they name changed from Raptor to Velociraptor.

Actually no....Dell and HP have a 80 and 160GB sized Velociraptor that is made specifically for OEMs.

Warm for sure. Personally, I wont be buying one till they hit the $130-$150 range. $200 is still too expensive for a 300gb drive, no matter how fast it is.

Ill stick with my 74gb raptor for now.

^
Agreed, once they hit $150 i'll bite on one.

*hint* *hint* to any retailers/online sellers that may be reading.. ;)

Picked one up had a 50 dollar gift card I won at work and a 10 dollar reward zone gift card and for 140 it was a steal.

Good to know about the differences. Who's going to put a velociraptor in a hdd enclosure though?

I recently purchased a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA Hard Drive USB Docking Station from Amazon for $39.99 w/free shipping only to find out that my 300GB velociraptor drive won't fit for the reasons being discussed. No big deal really as I got the velociraptor to use as my OS drive in a new system build.

Instead, I purchased a 1TB WD 'Black' Cavier drive for $115 and hooked that up externally. Because it's hooked up via eSATA it runs great.

The Thermaltake BlacX eSATA Hard Drive USB Docking Station really is great, if you are pulling SATA drives out of old systems or other drives and only need to copy the data, just plug it in to the docking station, wait a few seconds to be recognized and copy away.

I really love it.

This is the lowest price I've seen these drives personally (without annoying rebates). And being able to walk into a BestBuy and take it home and install it within 30 minutes is a bonus. And also being able to return it without paying for shipping and going to the UPS store is another bonus if needed.

It is hot to me, I bought two yesterday. Thanks.

Back