Warm?: Samsung S27B970D $999.99 on Newegg

What does this thing do that makes it worth $1000? I didn't see anything obvious.

What does this thing do that makes it worth $1000? I didn't see anything obvious.

It's a PLS panel according to tftcentral:

27"WS Samsung PLS (LTM270DL02-201)

-------

PLS (Plane to Line Switching)

Due to the popularity of IPS technology in the market, Samsung took a step away from their PVA investment and introduced a new panel technology in 2011. It was designed to offer wide viewing angles similar to IPS and offer improvements over some of the limitations of Samsung's PVA technology. While the technology is still in its infancy, it shows promising performance in terms of colour reproduction, black depth and responsiveness as well.

-------

Panel Details:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm
(Search for LTM270DL02)

I'm sure its a great monitor, I quite like the predecessor s27A850D. However, the price is outrageous considering the 2713 goes on sale for 650$ regularly, and the u3011 is selling for 999$.

The price for this monitor is outrages.

Don't think it's warm at all, still overprice at this point.

If you want another alternative PLS, give a shot on PB278Q.

The price is not outrageous, it is factory calibrated, has a compensator and comes with a 90%+ screen uniformity guarantee and it does not use PWM dimming, though apparently it goes on sale for 800$ some times from MC.

The U2713 has a bunch of quality control issues (tinting, light bleeding, semi-glossy coating cross hatching), the Asus has less issues but it uses PWM dimming.

But all IPS / PLS monitors at this resolution are at $1000 MSRP and have been for years. This would only be interesting if it was 120hz. Not saying the price is terrible but its not a deal

But all IPS / PLS monitors at this resolution are at $1000 MSRP and have been for years. This would only be interesting if it was 120hz. Not saying the price is terrible but its not a deal

Not all, like the model I said above cost you $680 only.

I currently own this monitor, and having seen nearly every similar or comparable monitor (with the exception of the new ASUS one), it is by far the best monitor in it's class. I dropped $1,200 when it first came out and haven't regretted it once. Money well spent, and $1,000 is a steal.

Not all, like the model I said above cost you $680 only.

The new U2713H I just ordered the other day from Dell only cost me $659 + tax after a coupon and gift card promo and the week before I ordered two U2713HM's for $484 + tax each. Dell is the way to go to get the best deal on high-end IPS displays due to all the promotions and coupons they have throughout the year and Dell easily has the best monitor warranty which is why I keep going back to them.

Last edited:
The new U2713H I just ordered the other day from Dell only cost me $659 + tax after a coupon and gift card promo and the week before I ordered two U2713HM's for $484 + tax each. Dell is the way to go to get the best deal on high-end IPS displays due to all the promotions and coupons they have throughout the year and Dell easily has the best monitor warranty which is why I keep going back to them.

Yep, i'm not hating on the S27B970 - I *know* its a great monitor, I own and use the predecessor s27a850d (which I really, really like). However, given the cost I feel like dell has an advantage - the 2713H is found for sale around 650$ quite frequently; You will also never worry about getting a bad dell. If you get a bad catleap, then what? I've heard numerous stories from friends about screwed up catleaps with no recourse, good luck and getting an honored warranty on that. With dell that is never an issue.

You do realize Pb278Q and this Samsung is PLS right?

Also, U2713HM have tons of people reporting cross hatching problem and buzzing. I wouldn't call that high end at all.

I just picked one of these up at microcenter for $800, Really a very nice monitor. The lack of anti glare coating is a bit of a worry. I'll find out how tolerable it is when the sun shines in tomorrow.

I'm having issues getting windows media center to play nice with it though. aside from that it's been great so far :cool:

I really want two 27 inchers to flank my current NEC 3090. I think my price point is about $700 total for both. Thought about the Yamasaki's, but I would have to invest in better stands which would cost too much in the end.

Shimian has a fine stand. Mine has no problems. Not adjustable though. Has been working flawless for nearly a year. Of course if you want 3 different monitors at the same level exactly you will need a nice stand though.

You do realize Pb278Q and this Samsung is PLS right?

Also, U2713HM have tons of people reporting cross hatching problem and buzzing. I wouldn't call that high end at all.

You do realize that PLS is just Samsung's name for their IPS variant, right?

Back