Warm: Saitek Eclipse - $40 BB

Z(+)DIAC

2[H]4U
Came across this keyboard in BB's Sunday Ad. Doesn't seem like a bad price for what seems to be a popular keyboard. I see the froogle price ranging anywhere from $42-60. Wouldn't be bad to pickup in B&M.

Linky

I bought one when it was $60 at BB. A week after the keyboard started to flicker. Not being able to find the reciept I e-mailed tech and was told to mail it in with an RMA number. Didn't find that really exceptable, just paying $60 for it and to have to pay to send it in only a week after buying it. They should of offered to send a new one and mail the bad one back in the same box. Now it's just 5% lit all the time, but bending the keyboard and putting pressure around the space bar area bring it back, but will go away again in less than a minute.

My misfortune might not be common, and at $40 the keyboard is pretty decent.

Instead of wasting money to get it fixed I'm holding out for the Optimus keyboard with the OLED display technology (better than LCD, no need for a backlight and brighter). A link below shows 3D renderings, but it has a greenlight in production. You can see the mini 3 key version they tease you with for now.
http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

The question is though, just how much is one gong to have to shell out for a keyboard like that?

Z(+)DIAC said:
The question is though, just how much is one gong to have to shell out for a keyboard like that?

Some articles point to this:

Right now the keyboard is still technically a prototype and the cost is hovering around US $200 to produce this keyboard. The good news is that the keyboard is slated to go into mass production next year and launched in the Summer of 2006, which should allow the price of the "new" technology go down. Organic Light-Emitting Diodes still have a price premium on them, but I'd pay the extra dime to be able to create my own keyboard icons.

Even at $300 I think it would be worth it.

For some yes, but I can tell you right now, more people would more than likely dish out $40 on a keyboard rather than $300.

Z(+)DIAC said:
For some yes, but I can tell you right now, more people would more than likely dish out $40 on a keyboard rather than $300.

Before I never planned on spending that much money on a keyboard, $100-150 with a mouse tops and had to be something special, but this is so different price doesn't matter anymore, atleast with just this keyboard, it's just in a whole other class, like buying a 7800GT when there had only been 5200LEs before it.

But yes, it's not for everyone one, but if someone wants the best, I don't think it gets better than the Optimus.

$120 for 3 keys, LMAO. They can shove that right where it belongs...

I spent almost 3K on my current machine now, and I'm using a $20 Logitech multimedia keyboard. It's quiet, looks good, and has a nice layout. I don't see myself spending $100 bucks on a 3 key device, let alone $300+ for a keyboard.

It's not about being cheap, it's about not falling for the hype.

Back to the OP, I think this deal is quite hot, considering it pretty much beats any Eclipse being sold on the FS/FT board right now. :cool:

I ended up biting on it. I had $10 left on my BB gift card and figured what the hell.

I only hope I made the right choice retiring my MX Duo Keyboard...

UnknownSouljer said:
I'd be on it, if it was the red version...

I already have the blue one but if BB was selling the red one, I would also be tempted to buy another Eclipse..

TimothyB said:
I bought one when it was $60 at BB. A week after the keyboard started to flicker. Not being able to find the reciept I e-mailed tech and was told to mail it in with an RMA number. Didn't find that really exceptable, just paying $60 for it and to have to pay to send it in only a week after buying it. They should of offered to send a new one and mail the bad one back in the same box. Now it's just 5% lit all the time, but bending the keyboard and putting pressure around the space bar area bring it back, but will go away again in less than a minute.

My misfortune might not be common, and at $40 the keyboard is pretty decent.

Instead of wasting money to get it fixed I'm holding out for the Optimus keyboard with the OLED display technology (better than LCD, no need for a backlight and brighter). A link below shows 3D renderings, but it has a greenlight in production. You can see the mini 3 key version they tease you with for now.
http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

In my experience, I own one too, this is a great keyboard. I've had no problems with flickering, although the A, S, and D keys are slightly rubbed off from gaming. The gray coating is rubbed off to where you can't rally distinguish the letter. It's a great keyboard besides that, I jus wish it didn't rub off at all
-Andrew

Garzilla05 said:
In my experience, I own one too, this is a great keyboard. I've had no problems with flickering, although the A, S, and D keys are slightly rubbed off from gaming. The gray coating is rubbed off to where you can't rally distinguish the letter. It's a great keyboard besides that, I jus wish it didn't rub off at all
-Andrew

Doesn't the blue light shine through though? I mean, is the letter still distinguishable with the backlighting turned on?

real nice keyboard...feels good, quiet. Lights turn off for when you need to sleep but your computer doesnt!

Back