WARM? Kingston Digital 240gb ~$74.99

Is this the model line from them that got major league crapped on over ninja changing the memory in them?

Is this the model line from them that got major league crapped on over ninja changing the memory in them?

Yes, I have one and its slow as fuck. It was $120 for the 240gb last year on BF.
It is still working so I'll give it that, but can't endorse this brand.

Edit: cancelled the order for this SSD, bought a Sandisk instead. Didn't realize this drive had some hidden issues.

Yes, I have one and its slow as fuck. It was $120 for the 240gb last year on BF.

Not surprising that its still working, because the drive suddenly dying wasn't really the crux of the issue. It was the fact Kingston pulled a switcheroo mid-production and moved to asynchronous NAND without revising the printed specs. Then one of their "reps" named Jewel had the gall to try to spin it that "well you'll still see the advertised specs if you run the ATTO benchmark". Facepalm.

I'm kind of amazed that there are still people unaware of this to unknowingly post deal threads about it. Kingston made its bed, I'm sure they'll pull their heads out eventually, but meantime, you see a "deal" with the words Kingston and V300 in the title, run the other way.

It is slow since I have first had experience buying one recently, which was promptly returned. Stay away from Kingston SSDs!

after they did their bait and switch along with PNY i refuse to buy Kingston SSD products.

Wow that's unfortunate. I went with the Sandisk Ultra II personally. Wasn't aware of the Kingston/PNY scam.

Dang. That should be a class action. That is totally illegal here in CA at least.

Got my 240GB M500 for $79.99 when it went that low.

Runs like a champ, have been wanting another for raid.

For an older machine limited to 3Gb/s, what's the most reliable 120-128Gb drive? Since speed is capped, I'm looking for reliability on my old machine.

Last edited:
For an older machine limited to 3Gb/s, what's the most reliable 120-128Gb drive? Since speed is capped, I'm looking for reliability on my old machine.

The current "wisdom" is that it really doesn't matter if you're on SATA2 or SATA3 most of the time, as the speed difference only starts to become apparent when doing large transfers from RAM->SSD or SSD->RAM or SSD->SSD and most transfers are smaller ones that require drives to do alot of seeking. Since SSD's don't have to seek things with a physical head, their responsiveness goes through the roof.

In short, get whatever SSD you want and it'll be awesome.

Last edited:

If you could live with 64GB, I'd say get the x25-e on ebay for $100. Not much beats SLC.

Back