*WARM* GATEWAY P-6831 FX $689.99

Yeah, I just said warm because some people on here are finding the 7811 for $750 which is a really *hot* deal.

*HOT* The higher end CPU for the 6831 FX are cheaper then the 7811 FX's currently are (x9000 or x7800 for $300-400 on ebay) to breath some real life into this unit. For the 7811 your still looking at $600+ (x9100) for high end and $350-500 (t9300 and up) for mid range CPU.

at 1400 x 900, the 8800m is pretty much perfect.
it can pretty much max out settnigs in crysis
but as aforementioned, T5450 | 1.66 GHz | 2 MB L2 cache | 667 MHz FSB

That, is quite a bottleneck

extremely good deal, but i think for a little extra ($750, is it?) I'd rather have the upgraded Gateway model... I've been lusting after that laptop for some time now.... if only i could unload this 8600m GT laptop

pretty good deal, just replace one of the 1gb sticks with 2gb and replace the cpu with atleast a 2.0 c2d. I have a NIB T7500 2.2 ghz 4mb cpu if anyone is interested pm me.

pretty good deal, just replace one of the 1gb sticks with 2gb and replace the cpu with atleast a 2.0 c2d. I have a NIB T7500 2.2 ghz 4mb cpu if anyone is interested pm me.

This is exactly how I look at it, we are [H]ard here after all. I'm already looking at CPU choices (P9500 looks mighty tempting) and slim BD drives for when my warranty runs out on my notebook around xmas next year. T7500 looks to be a good choice for this notebook, don't know how much RAM it supports though. One would think a full 4GB?

First off, off topic. Second, post that in the mobile discussion so the threat doesn't get locked. I would of loved to seen some input from other customers of theirs.

PS, if you didn't know and this is not trolling, all notebook technical support sucks. Just to different degrees. What do you expect from Gateway/eMachine/Acer? Plus this is a refurb...you'll only have to worry about your warranty for 30 or 90 days, lol!

This is exactly how I look at it, we are [H]ard here after all. I'm already looking at CPU choices (P9500 looks mighty tempting) and slim BD drives for when my warranty runs out on my notebook around xmas next year. T7500 looks to be a good choice for this notebook, don't know how much RAM it supports though. One would think a full 4GB?

P9500 won't work, 800 fsb limit for the santa rosa chipset, you will need to stick to the T series. 4gb of ram is supported.

First off, off topic. Second, post that in the mobile discussion so the threat doesn't get locked. I would of loved to seen some input from other customers of theirs.

PS, if you didn't know and this is not trolling, all notebook technical support sucks. Just to different degrees. What do you expect from Gateway/eMachine/Acer? Plus this is a refurb...you'll only have to worry about your warranty for 30 or 90 days, lol!

How is it off topic? These laptops have high failure rates. Why do you think there are so many refurbs available? ;)

Don't get me wrong, its a great laptop....while it works.

How is it off topic? These laptops have high failure rates. Why do you think there are so many refurbs available? ;)

You're borderline trolling. ALL lappies have a high failure rate if you don't know how to treat them right. I've heard people bitch about every laptop I've ever owned, nearly all of them claiming each model is plagued with failures. I've never had a laptop fail. Ever. And I've owned 6 in the past seven years.

It is bad that your laptop died. I have had the same laptop for a while now with no problems. Just the luck of the draw I guess.
I do feel for you and your experience with tech support.That is shitty. With that said you gave people an opposing opinion which will help in their decision.
Just not mine. I bought another one for my son :)

No, the OP is right, it's just warm.

p7811fx -$750
p6860fx -$799 (wth, right?)
p6831fx -$690

All with their pros and cons. Like the 7811's run hot with the fans on high much of the time, and the 6831's have low spec cpus, etc.

And for the record, my 6860fx bit the dust doing a standard bios update and has been gone 2 months. Not my first laptop or my first computer; I know how to do bios update, firmware update, etc. Possibly luck of the draw. I buy refurbed stuff all of the time too and this is the first thing I've ever had break. I'm not going to call Gateway bad names but for the price I paid, how much can I complain? Now if you want to talk about their service THAT might get me going...

I had to RMA my ASUS C90s 3 times, dead video card, bad motherboard and dead camera, and on top of that exchange the brick for a more powerful one (90w for a 120w); my first Toshiba (Satellite P105 S9722) would randomly lock up, my second Toshiba (Satellite P105 S9337) had a bad video card and my third Toshiba (again Satellite P105 S9337, Costco exchange) flat out wouldn't work with Vista and that's the OS it came with (the bios update that fixed it didn't come out till nearly 2 years later, LOL). I have a little more experience in this field :p

All of them took time to fix, all were eventually fixed. The HP (Pavilion dv1049cl) I'm on now I've had for 6 years and never failed me once, then again no GPU and a mild CPU.

You're borderline trolling. ALL lappies have a high failure rate if you don't know how to treat them right. I've heard people bitch about every laptop I've ever owned, nearly all of them claiming each model is plagued with failures. I've never had a laptop fail. Ever. And I've owned 6 in the past seven years.

I'm not trolling. I gave a link to a thread with my issues with this laptop. As a warning, that is all. I'm sorry if it is perceived as something else. And please don't say I treat my laptops poorly. They are always well ventilated with plenty of airflow(from external fans) and with plenty of room underneath to breath. Don't get me wrong. I loved my p-6831fx, its a great laptop. But im just giving a warning that these are not the best as far as quality. I mean the motherboard they replaced mine with was DOA as well. There has to be something there don't you think? Like I said, I'm sorry if I'm being perceived as a troll, and for that reason, I will no longer post in this thread.

As I said, I would of loved to have seen that thread in the "Mobile Computing" section and read some of the responses. Something similar was posted on NBR in the Gateway section. With my karma, I'll end up getting a bad unit.

This is a good deal with you wanna spend the time to change out a few parts, other then that it is warm. RAID, CPU that are now cheap and 8800GTS are a good combo

He got the same model and had an issue...its pertinent. Chill people.

Mines coming on Monday. Will post reactions/problems if they arise.

Sweet deal, just ordered the 6831 for my wife. Ditto about posting problems if any arise but I expect the major drama to be my wife and Vista because it's 'different'. Oh boy.

My P-6831 FX went bad too and needed the mobo to be replaced. My laptop was gone a little over a month being repaired... It is now back in repair to have the CPU fan replace. I hope it doesn't take nearly as long because I need it back before school starts.

Oh and this motherboard problem existed when I first got the laptop and the CPU fans bearings have gone bad. Neither are my treatment problems. I treat it very well and it stays in a padded backpack specifically for laptops.

Laptop arrived in good working order, no issues. Nothing *but* a laptop and power cord in the box though; no books or accessories. My cc was declined because of all the crap I bought; called up the company and gave them a different # and they honored the deal--the price had gone up $10 in the interim.

I didn't really stop and think about how big a laptop with a 17" screen would be. Wow.

My wife doesn't like it because it's not white. Oh boy.

Back