[WARM] Antec New TP-550 at Fry's

I can confirm the item is

Antec Truepower New550 w

Bought it earlier in the week. 540 combined watts on the 12v line, aka 45 amps.

Last edited:
Good deal. Too bad I don't need one. I've got several NIB spares sittin around still (VX550 for $45, EA430 for $20).

Aaaah, more people with a Power Supply fetish. I have about 5 "backups" sitting around the house right now, and I would probably pick up more given the opportunity. Its good to know I am not alone :D

lol... fetish? nah, just have a lot of computers, so its good to have spares, lol.

When you have more spares than computers, and you have 5 working computers, I think you can safely call it a fetish :)

When you have more spares than computers, and you have 5 working computers, I think you can safely call it a fetish :)

so i have a toothbrush fetish, too, since I have 3 of them? pfft. having spares of something does not make it a fetish, in my world. i have 5 rolls of toilet paper in my bathroom... no, i don't have a tp fetish. :p I have a steak knife set of 8... no, I don't have a knife fetish. i have 8 USB sticks... no, no fetish, just like having them around when i need one. must i go on? :p but hey, its your world, so call it what you want, lol.

I picked up one of these at Fry's yesterday and I've had nothing but issues. I swapped it into a working system and it didn't boot. Took it back and they tested it, bad. I grabbed another and they tested it before I left, bad. The third they said their tester was bad and went back to the service area and they claim it tested good with the tester there. I just got home and installed it. It's bad too.

Not a bad deal. Also, PSU 'testing' at retailers is basically if the system POSTs or not.

so i have a toothbrush fetish, too, since I have 3 of them? pfft. having spares of something does not make it a fetish, in my world. i have 5 rolls of toilet paper in my bathroom... no, i don't have a tp fetish. :p I have a steak knife set of 8... no, I don't have a knife fetish. i have 8 USB sticks... no, no fetish, just like having them around when i need one. must i go on? :p but hey, its your world, so call it what you want, lol.

Comparing toothbrushes to PSUs... bit of a stretch. My "spares" are often pillaged out of older builds.

Anyway, regardless of number of computers, I don't see much of a need to have more than one backup, unless of course it's a different size, spec, etc.

I've had maybe one or two PSUs die all together on me for the past 9 or so years, that is, of course, respecting the idea I've always gone for good, quality brands, and always use a good surge protector or UPS (if I have one available).

Batteries, toothbrushes, whatever... my point is, having spares of anything is not a fetish. I have 2 spares, not 200, lol.

Yes, I've used more of my spares for other people's systems than for mine over the years, but thats not going to stop me from stocking them. :p I usually pickup a spare if its an extremely good deal, and its usually been from Fry's.

Homer's story reminds me: if you're buying something to be a spare, you should test it while within your return window.

Back