WARM: 7970s now going for 439.99 on Amazon.com

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would have picked this up if I didn't just pick up a 7950 from 3 bills here in the forums.

Still $500 for me considering tax and the rebate that will never come back.

I really think that all you guys who don't get the rebates are somehow messing up the forms or not sending in what you are supposed to :D

My last 2 builds have included several rebates, this last one had 4 of them, I got them all, a few I did the rush option for $1 and the others I did standard (depending on how much it was for), never a problem, in fact I think in my whole life with dozens of rebates I might have gotten screwed on 1.

Anyway, this deal seems really good! I get 3% cash back on amazon too, so thats like getting it for $427. Given that performance is about the same in many games with the GTX 680, this seems like a great deal. Hopefully it will force Nvidia to reduce their pricing soon too as the GTX 680 should have been $399 to start (and called the GTX 670).

Keep thinking that until it happens to you.

If anyone is getting less then 4 in 5 they are doing something wrong or their local post office is garbage. I've done over 50 rebates in 3 years and have gotten every one. I've had to send emails for 3 Zotac rebates. Their policy is to only send out a rebate when someone emails which is pretty shady. But you will get it within 3-4 days of sending an email. I had one rebate delivered to the wrong address but those people were kind enough to put it back in the mail. Otherwise no problems at all.

Certain rebate companies are really bad. I remember that the Office Max rebates a few years ago were extremely bad. You'd be lucky to get 1 in 5. It made me quit shopping there.

I used to have problems with OCZ. A build from 4 years ago I had to fight tooth and nail for a rebate on RAM and a PSU. Within the last year, I had no issues with two SSD rebates.

Prices on 7970s have been warm to pretty smoking hot over the past week+. I had pre-ordered an overclocked evga gtx 680 superclocked+ on when my Twin Frozr gtx 580 bit the dust last week. Was debating what to do when I spotted a price drop on a sweet Sapphire with custom cooler I'd previously been considering. Prior to selling out, it had hovered between $449-469 after MIR. I got it for $449 and after giving it runs in Deus Ex, Skyrim, Guild Wars 2 and SWtOR, this card is so unbelievably silent under load I couldn't be happier.

I really think that all you guys who don't get the rebates are somehow messing up the forms or not sending in what you are supposed to :D

Most ignorant statement of the week.

Keep thinking that until it happens to you.

I do understand people have been screwed over on MIRs, but count me in with Aumakua in thinking those are the exception, not the rule. I've lost count on the number of MIRs I've sent out over the past ~15 years (30? 50? 20+ at a minimum). How many have showed up? Every single one of 'em. On a couple occasions it's taken ~3-4months, but it got here, eventually.

Last edited:
I do understand people have been screwed over on MIRs, but count me in with Aumakua in thinking those are the exception, not the rule. I've lost count on the number of MIRs I've sent out over the past ~15 years (30? 50? 20+ at a minimum). How many have showed up? Every single one of 'em. On a couple occasions it's taken ~3-4months, but it got here, eventually.

This.. I have never not received a mir. The secret to getting them back is to read everything and follow the directions.

Most ignorant statement of the week.

I build computers all the time, for work, family, friends, etc -- to the best of my knowledge have got EVERY rebate i filed that was still eligible. (post marked within 21 days, signed, upc code, printed invoice etc)

I agree, if you guys are having so much trouble your either not following directions or simply not doing them at all and complaining about them. ** also 95% of my shopping is through newegg, maybe other retailers are more difficult to claim rebates, i dont know... **

The key to rebates is two fold, making sure you do everything on your end correctly and second, if the rebate doesn't come due to USPS screw ups or the company making a mistake is simply calling them repeatably. Keep your foot on their neck at all times and hold them accountable and you will find rebates work, although they are still annoying.

I knock on wood every time I send a MIR in. 100% success rate. 1-2/month.

I also have a feeling that all these companies have their rebates handled by third parties, sometimes the company issuing the debate card directly, all the rebates I have gotten in the last 2-3 years were Visa (normally only have 6-12 months to use it) or AMEX (which are the best, like a 8 year life). I think the old way had many issues because the third party company would show the manufacturer all the claims and collect their percentage but never send out a handful of them and blame USPS on it! I think many manufacturers caught on and are going with more reputable companies now. The couple times I have been screwed were years ago before rebate cards...

How is there no point when Newegg has 7950 as low as $379? And that will probably be almost as fast as 7970 when both overclocked to max (7950 seems better balanced).

Back