Warm? 3800+ X2 and ECS KV2 Lite $319 ??

rbarr110

Limp Gawd
Is this a decent deal for an upgrade? I cant afford new mobo, cpu, and Pci xpress card, but really want a better performing machine. The outpost site has the bundle for $349 but local ad for Fry's is $319. I know the processor itself is typically $300+

I currently have a Athlon 2800+ (non-64) and a BFG 6800 OC (agp) and 1 gig DDR 3200.

I have lag in BF2 and want to help solve the lag issue, hoping a new CPU will help. Since most good vid cards are all pci xpress I would have to upgrade 3 items and possibly a PSU.

Seems like a killer deal to me. 3800 X2 is $322 at NewEgg though I haven't looked around.

fyi, if u do go thru with this deal, make sure to download the hotfix for windows xp. if i wasnt so lazy, i'd link u, but thems the breaks. Just do a google search, or search the forums

I say go for it, it certainly can't hurt your lag in BF2. You will have to reinstall Windows XP, though.

I am dying to know how fry's does those prices. They had that deal for $280 on black friday and it hovers between $350-$370 normally. I guess you have to pay sales tax on that locally though which would add up ($20?)

I don't know about the board, but no matter what that package will getting you a nice setup right now and for the same price i paid for my x2 a couple weeks ago. if you don't like the motherboard you can always get a different one and sell the ecs.

picked up a combo at fry's last month with a venice 3200 and a kv2 lite. not a bad board for free. the only issue I have with it is if I use the Hibernate feature (since ECS boards don't tend to support S3) when I resume the pc the built in nic goes away! not just in windows but in the bios too. I have to reset the bios to get it back. Oh, this was on 3 different boards too.

It is a good hold over board till you can get something better.

ok deal, but you'd see better performance in BF2 by just adding another gig of RAM

Once you go dual-core you will NEVER want to go back... Good deal

Also a new CPU will NOT help any lag issues, those are simply related to internet connectivity. It will help performance issues for sure though. I went from an athlon xp 2500+ @ 3200+ to X2 3800+ @ 2.2ghz and the difference in games is night and day.

Back