Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II - Beta

So let me see if I got this correctly. It looks like your Hero is either the Force Comander, Apathacary or a Tech Marine. If that is so good job at fucking up WH40K rules. All three of those are PART of a command squad and dead meat on their owm. May be passing this up and seeing if a mod is out there for DOW1 to upgrade the graphics a bit.

Well, the heroes each have abilities suited toward certain roles.

None of them are really good "own their own" and if they get flanked by a couple of squads, or a really built up squad (IE sniper) they can go down damn fast.

Most of the heroes have abilities that help any friendlies near them and the upgrade equipment for them can do various things for your troops.

The FC is more for a support fighter, going into the fray with your front line troops.

The Tech is good at setting up defense and staying behind the liens.

The apoc is more support then combat really.

So I'm unable to play with one of my friends - since every time we try to connect to each others game we get a 'NAT negotiation failure', which is the same bullshit drama I had with some other friends during CoH. Each of us can connect to other games fine, but just not to each other.

I've been playing online games for over 10 years now and Relic is the only company that has produced this peer-to-peer error for me. I sigh.

The matchmaking needs work. ran up against a team of rank 13's against rank1's
Needless to say it was a fast game.

Person whom's hosting needs to set up proper port forwarding on his router.

For help: http://www.portforward.com/

Well, I'm pretty sure it's my friend, because I've had no connection problems as of yet to anyone else I play with. But I tried forwarding port 3074 TCP/UDP (which I've been told is the correct port) and I get an error back from my router telling me that that 'port is in conflict with another service'. Sooooo.... I don't know. At this point neither of us can host for one another.

Netgear WGT624

Wow.... And that's not a good kind of wow, a bad kind.

Did they mess this thing up or what?

There's like 7 units for Space Marines, 5 of them are foot soldiers, 1 dreadnaught type and a predator? Not to mention they all move slow as hell?

What happened to building a base? Why are req. points so slow? Why is everything so darn expensive.

Seriously, even on a 6 player map in 1vs1, there's barely enough strategic points to keep req. points rate at an acceptable level.

Buildings are virtually indestructible... One turret can take down 3 squads and get hardly damaged.

The whole thing felt sooo slow and ponderous I had to play Ninja Gaiden 2 in the meantime while I get enough req. points to build a squad.

Plus, micromanaging your Leader is even worse now. He has like 50 different options for gear and stuff.

Too bad, i was hoping for an old-school RTS like DoW1 was, but this is another victim of Company of Heroes virus, where people seem to have more fun micro-managing 2 squads instead of 10.

Unless there are radical changes in final game, I'll be skipping this one. It's just, boring.

Gamespeed does seem a lil slow. Wondering if they did it on purpose for the beta so everyone could learn? dunno The majority would probably want a lil slower pace. People that play Starcraft, WC3 and so on will want a faster pace than what it is currently.

Rush the other base wont work. Tanks take forever to kill a base...It's all about controlling areas of the map. Garrison is a joke imo

I did like when my hero guy did a fatality move on another hero.. I was like...hmmm, didn't expect that.

Anyone else encounter this problem on 32 Bit Vista where you're in a middle of a game, and it CTD with BSOD - memory dump? I have 4 gigs of memory and hardly anything running in the background.

What makes this really suck, is the last two times, I was actually winning both those games and crashes and reboots. Any thoughts?

IMO, it's the best title that Relic has released so far. Base building? Please. When I play RTS, I want to focus on maneuvering and positioning. All the micro is up @ the battle lines...

Relic hit a home run on this one. I loved CoH, but this blows it out of the water.

Great job Relic.

Agreed. Base building is rarely tactical in RTSs anymore, it's a speed race at least for the first part of the game, and it ALWAYS is annoying. I want to be in battle, not play the Sim City.

Game is crap looks like Games Workshop is whoring itself out for stellar tittles like Warhammer online and now this POS.

I would have an opinion on the game, but I can barely run it on my laptop's 8600m gt. Company of heroes runs fantastic though. Aren't they the same engine?

I would have an opinion on the game, but I can barely run it on my laptop's 8600m gt. Company of heroes runs fantastic though. Aren't they the same engine?

I dunno but 80%++ of the games lag like mad cause most of the people have their settings to high.
It does seem to work both cores on my pc but I can tell it is working hard

I have mixed feeling about the game after spending 6hrs on it. Some thing I really like and others...um, it still needs work.

You can have the best game graphics in the world but if the people don't have the pc spec for it then you're sol.

Solid game play comes before graphics imo. Lot of developers kinda missed that memo though.

Wow.... And that's not a good kind of wow, a bad kind.

Did they mess this thing up or what?

There's like 7 units for Space Marines, 5 of them are foot soldiers, 1 dreadnaught type and a predator? Not to mention they all move slow as hell?

What happened to building a base? Why are req. points so slow? Why is everything so darn expensive.

Seriously, even on a 6 player map in 1vs1, there's barely enough strategic points to keep req. points rate at an acceptable level.

Buildings are virtually indestructible... One turret can take down 3 squads and get hardly damaged.

The whole thing felt sooo slow and ponderous I had to play Ninja Gaiden 2 in the meantime while I get enough req. points to build a squad.

Plus, micromanaging your Leader is even worse now. He has like 50 different options for gear and stuff.

Too bad, i was hoping for an old-school RTS like DoW1 was, but this is another victim of Company of Heroes virus, where people seem to have more fun micro-managing 2 squads instead of 10.

Unless there are radical changes in final game, I'll be skipping this one. It's just, boring.

yup. DoW2 is in no way a traditional RTS...There's barely a shred of the original DoW left. Its like a fast food version of what made 40k so great. Just spit units and go capture a point. As much as I'm trying to like this game, its just not clicking. It really is slow and boring..not one ounce of epic.

Just might be leaving this to the kids that would just rather microwave units and run around capturing/recapturing points all day and call that style of play "tactical".

yup. DoW2 is in no way a traditional RTS...There's barely a shred of the original DoW left. Its like a fast food version of what made 40k so great. Just spit units and go capture a point. As much as I'm trying to like this game, its just not clicking. It really is slow and boring..not one ounce of epic.

Just might be leaving this to the kids that would just rather microwave units and run around capturing/recapturing points all day and call that style of play "tactical".

Right, because spamming the opponent's base with mass tanks or seeing who can build more units quicker is much more tactical?

Well, I'm pretty sure it's my friend, because I've had no connection problems as of yet to anyone else I play with. But I tried forwarding port 3074 TCP/UDP (which I've been told is the correct port) and I get an error back from my router telling me that that 'port is in conflict with another service'. Sooooo.... I don't know. At this point neither of us can host for one another.

Netgear WGT624

Not sure about your router or setup, but I forwarded the ports in this article and it works fine. Of course I made exceptions in my software firewall as well.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

As for the game, it's lacking in some things. Functions and characteristics of units are not well documented... all they give is some generic "effective against X" in the description. I can't figure out what is best to counter certain units with these qualitative statements. Doesn't really that much though, since I'm still learning what each race has by playing against bots, and they suck ass. I'm a terrible and inexperienced RTS player, and the expert bot is a complete joke by comparison. :confused: I expected to get owned, what a letdown. No doubt that will happen once I play ranked matches.

GFWL with Steam is redundant. On the bright side, Steam integrates more smoothly with DoW2 than Valve's own games. I can actually use the community interface when the map is loading, which relieves the boredom of waiting 5 minutes for my friends to load. Having pings and performance bars is a great feature, but the whole custom game interface feels a bit weird. Using GFWL to invite friends takes more clicks than using Steam. I hope the final version would deal with some of these issues.

Right, because spamming the opponent's base with mass tanks or seeing who can build more units quicker is much more tactical?

Eh, you can attempt to belittle true campaign warfare by saying its just "spam", but war is SUPPOSED to be hectic and pure hell all around. People usually only refer to it as "spam" when their sorry asses can't think fast enough or multitask keen enough to defeat it. There's no such thing as "skirmish warfare".

Like I said, I'll leave the capture point humping and unit hemmoraging to those that are too lazy/doltish to manage a full scale war effort.

Eh, you can attempt to belittle true campaign warfare by saying its just "spam", but war is SUPPOSED to be hectic and pure hell all around. People usually only refer to it as "spam" when their sorry asses can't think fast enough or multitask keen enough to defeat it. There's no such thing as "skirmish warfare".

Like I said, I'll leave the capture point humping and unit hemmoraging to those that are too lazy/doltish to manage a full scale war effort.

Yeah, because 40k isn't about squad based combat... :rolleyes:

I see your push for unit spam, base building for no reason, and general bad attitude continues.

Campaign warfare? All I see you talking about is blob spams.

I don't know, there's just something about this game that isn't clicking with me. I don't mind the lack of base building, I don't mind the slow speed...... I loved CoH, so logic would suggest I'd love this too. But I don't feel I'm having as much fun with it as I'm supposed to.

For one, the units aren't really doing it for me. For the most part they all feel kinda the same - even between the different factions. There are a few truly unique units, but many are carbon copies across each faction. And then there doesn't seem to be enough variety in units either - especially considering most games are won in tier 2. I rarely ever see a tier 3 on the field.

The maps are boring - that much I know. There's really no real theme to them. They just look like a bunch of elements pasted onto a flat battlefield. And I never really feel like the cover system is working either. I click a squad behind a log or half-wall or something, and they sorta go over there and take cover, but there are always units that fail to figure it out. The squads just don't seem to mesh with the cover as well as they did in CoH (which even that wasn't perfect).

Graphics are well enough - I love the art direction. But a problem I have, especially in team games or a 1v1 in which I'm fighting the same faction, is that I have a really hard time distinguishing my units from the other guys. During melee and large battles they all just sort of blend together, and often times I just have to draw a huge bounding box on the battlefield to figure out who's who.

I like the game and I'll keep playing through the beta hoping that it'll click for me, but right now I'm thinking of passing on the purchase.

I will say my favorite part about DoW 2 is the emphasis on keeping your squads alive - leveling them up, equipping them, and the overall lack of unit spam in this game. EDIT: I guess that makes me a dolt.

Yeah, because 40k isn't about squad based combat... :rolleyes:

I see your push for unit spam, base building for no reason, and general bad attitude continues.

Campaign warfare? All I see you talking about is blob spams.

Agreed.

And to those complaining about how it's slow and boring, go play some 3v3 against decent players.

The matchmaking needs work. ran up against a team of rank 13's against rank1's
Needless to say it was a fast game.

The matchmaking is based on TrueSkill, not rank. Rank is simply how many points you have accumulated. You can lose every single match and your rank will go up while your TrueSkill will stay even or go down.

Agreed.

And to those complaining about how it's slow and boring, go play some 3v3 against decent players.

No doubt! My impressions of the game changed dramatically once I went online. The play-style online is much faster and more like front-line combat to me.

I just got done playing it for an hour or so and all I can think is, meh. The game really doesn't do anything for me. Maybe I need to give it more of a chance but from my first impressions it really didn't "wow" me. The squad combat is nice but I feel like there needs to be more variety with the units. I agree with PoweredBySoy, all the units feel the same. For example, a Nob Squad in the original DoW could dominate just about anything on the battlefield (with upgraded power claws and a Warboss attached) but the Nob Squad in DoW wasn't as powerful as I thought it would be. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but the Nob Squad didn't seem like a huge upgrade over the Sluggaz like they were in the original DoW.

I don't know, maybe I need to try the beta some more but those are some of my first impressions. But, I really do want to love this game like I did the original so I'm hoping after a few more matches I'll enjoy it more.

The matchmaking is based on TrueSkill, not rank. Rank is simply how many points you have accumulated. You can lose every single match and your rank will go up while your TrueSkill will stay even or go down.

No doubt! My impressions of the game changed dramatically once I went online. The play-style online is much faster and more like front-line combat to me.

Does this game have recorded games? I really like watching top players go at it.

I just got done playing it for an hour or so and all I can think is, meh. The game really doesn't do anything for me. Maybe I need to give it more of a chance but from my first impressions it really didn't "wow" me. The squad combat is nice but I feel like there needs to be more variety with the units. I agree with PoweredBySoy, all the units feel the same. For example, a Nob Squad in the original DoW could dominate just about anything on the battlefield (with upgraded power claws and a Warboss attached) but the Nob Squad in DoW wasn't as powerful as I thought it would be. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but the Nob Squad didn't seem like a huge upgrade over the Sluggaz like they were in the original DoW.

I don't know, maybe I need to try the beta some more but those are some of my first impressions. But, I really do want to love this game like I did the original so I'm hoping after a few more matches I'll enjoy it more.

While I am glad you are posting your honest opinion, I can tell you need to play more.

An upgraded Nob squad will just about kick the shit out of anything on the battlefield. If you pair them up with a Warboss or other Ork hero, forget about it. Seriously, they just dominate everything.

FYI, Try em with a Warboss in tow with a power claw. (Yikes.....)

I'm not digging it so far. What I don't like is the god powers deal, specially late in the game everyone just uses the area of effect skill that costs 650 combat points.. Same reason why I didn't like Company of Heroes, the artillery spam turned me off CoH.

I like the beginning of the game, but late game is really boring when everyone is just spamming wraiths, avatars, canifex and the nuke.

I'm thinking I'll wait until Starcraft 2 to see if will have god powers. The only I win button Starcraft had was Terran nuke, and it was easily countered with detector.

Cliff notes: Artillery = bad.

The artillery (and other similar one for the Eldar) cost a shit ton to use and it isn't that large of an area.

Literally I generally only have enough power to use it end-game one time,

Anyone else encounter this problem on 32 Bit Vista where you're in a middle of a game, and it CTD with BSOD - memory dump? I have 4 gigs of memory and hardly anything running in the background.

What makes this really suck, is the last two times, I was actually winning both those games and crashes and reboots. Any thoughts?
Yeah, it's a known issue that Relic is working on. You need to lower your settings until they release the patch.

Cliff notes: Artillery = bad.

This game has significantly less artillery than CoH. And the artillery abilities that each faction possess come so late in the game, and cost so much power, that I rarely even see them.

Not sure what kind of games you're playing - it's rare for me to see tier 3 units, let alone them being spammed.

Yeah same here, my 3v3's tend to be over before anyone can even build Tier 3 units, let alone use the AoE super power.

It's sad most are basing their opinion of the game on (sucky) AI skirmish or against people who have no idea how to play, because as I've said before, once the skill level rises the amount of depth is amazing.

If your game is lasting until tier 3, then either it's really bad or really good.

On the marsh map, I've had some epic battles at the lower victory point, to the point where I've gone in with an avatar and three wraithlords against opponents with similar load outs.

I like it, although I can't enjoy it because after I have to wait for a ranked game to start there is always some retard with his settings set to high or just people that have high ping, and after the last patch it also freezes a lot and I have to restart my PC.
The game also lacks a good server browser and in game instructions.

I like it, although I can't enjoy it because after I have to wait for a ranked game to start there is always some retard with his settings set to high or just people that have high ping, and after the last patch it also freezes a lot and I have to restart my PC.
The game also lacks a good server browser and in game instructions.

QFT.

It sucks when me and my buddies start a team game and we're all pinging great to eachother and have good rigs, get pitted against a team that's in the EU or something that is apparently trying to run this game on a Pentium II. Not only does it take freaking forever to load (at least in CoH, you could watch peoples progress bars and berate them about it later) and once in game, massive starting lag and then hiccups in gameplay every couple seconds. Inevitably as they start losing, they just drop from the game entirely. I hate that crap.

I also tried some team battle with random teammates and their all either A) Complete morons, or B) AFK. I had a game with some dude who was standing literally right on top of my incapacitated hero, and I was telling him to revive me in chat over and over. Eventually he just strolls away and gets himself killed. Brilliant. Then I had the gem of the game where both of my teammates were AFK the *entire* game. I managed to hold one victory point until all three of the opposing players descended upon me like a swarm of locusts. I don't know what took them so long, as I told them my teammates were afk at the start.

It's this kind of shit that pisses me off and turns me off from the game, however playing team battles with my friends is gobs of fun provided we have opponents with decent computers and connections.

I just finished a 3v3 game where arty spam was everywhere and it was really annoying. If you are paying attention it's not a big deal if you can move fast enough. That was a great game though really back and forth and the VP count was 25-0 for us. Really close but in the end but when I got my avatar on the field it swung the battle, those things are so unstoppable it's awesome.

The lag from people with too high of settings is killing this game for me though. If every match was nice and smooth I'd be all over it, but it's pretty frustrating. Voice is pretty poorly done and Windows Live just sucks. Why do I need Windows Live and Steam in the same freaking game. Also the lack of a lobby or anything makes organizing games a pita.

I just wished it didn't make me sign up for LIVE for the features I want :(; also anyone know if there is a windowed mode?

It's a pretty safe bet to expect a windowed mode in the final version or shortly after release. It was already confirmed on relic forums that the beta runs on a chopped down CoH engine, and CoH didn't have windowed mode until some number of patches later on.

QFT.

It sucks when me and my buddies start a team game and we're all pinging great to eachother and have good rigs, get pitted against a team that's in the EU or something that is apparently trying to run this game on a Pentium II. Not only does it take freaking forever to load (at least in CoH, you could watch peoples progress bars and berate them about it later) and once in game, massive starting lag and then hiccups in gameplay every couple seconds. Inevitably as they start losing, they just drop from the game entirely. I hate that crap.

I also tried some team battle with random teammates and their all either A) Complete morons, or B) AFK. I had a game with some dude who was standing literally right on top of my incapacitated hero, and I was telling him to revive me in chat over and over. Eventually he just strolls away and gets himself killed. Brilliant. Then I had the gem of the game where both of my teammates were AFK the *entire* game. I managed to hold one victory point until all three of the opposing players descended upon me like a swarm of locusts. I don't know what took them so long, as I told them my teammates were afk at the start.

It's this kind of shit that pisses me off and turns me off from the game, however playing team battles with my friends is gobs of fun provided we have opponents with decent computers and connections.
That sounds epic :)
I had a game where it was 2vs3 and we managed to hold 2 CPs for a good period until the other team started pushing us back, right after that the third team mate joined from his afk and helped us enough to get all 3 and win.

I came across someone from my country (ping lower then 50 :D) ,we had a blast in a 2vs2bots Annihilate, I think that is the only way to play this, no ranked matches bs.

I agree that there are some problems with lag in most games. I'm sure some of it is the net code, but I think most of it is people with slow rigs maxing their settings.

As for GFWL, I don't really have a problem with it, but I do wish there was more than just a generic Friends list. I'd like to have separate list for each game, for instance, or to block my status unless I'm playing a specific game, etc. GFWL just seems too limited. And no game lobby? What is up with that?

You can add -window in the launch options. But it is a performance hit.

Yeah same here, my 3v3's tend to be over before anyone can even build Tier 3 units, let alone use the AoE super power.

It's sad most are basing their opinion of the game on (sucky) AI skirmish or against people who have no idea how to play, because as I've said before, once the skill level rises the amount of depth is amazing.

This = true

Relic has never made excellent ai, its just good enough to play. Hopefully the skirmish ai mod team jump on this and ramp it up. You really can't appreciate the game play until you play with some awake and experienced players with rigs that can run the game. I hang out at the official and unofficial boards a lot, and when the specs announcement was released you wouldn't believe all the complainers saying they needed to upgrade.:D

Edit: here is a replay against the AI, dont judge me, I was drinking coronas: ;) http://www.2shared.com/file/4764027/6ed2be5a/hard.html

Back