Wanting to stream my wedding live to the people that cant be there

TheGeekFreek

Supreme [H]ardness
So Im getting married in Texas on the 9th of next month. Due to some circumstances some people from Ohio cant make it.. Wondering if it would be possible to run a live feed using nothing but a laptop, cell phone with unlimited data, and a webcam..

Its a 3G cell phone and we will be in DFW so the coverage will be really good.. I have tethering on my plan, and im kind of assuming I could do a like Skype conference for a video feed..

Thoughts? Suggestions?
There is a 50/50 chance that this will be done on a mac book, the alternative is a netbook.. But let me know your thoughts on this.. This is mostly for my half sister whom I just met for the first time yesterday (People subbed to Genmay can see the thread), but also for a couple uncles/aunts that cant afford the trip.

If you have an iphone or a blackberry check out pdanet. I think it might work with Android phones too. You can tether to a computer via usb or bluetooth using your data plan for free during the trial. I use this when I'm on the road.

Someone else is going to have to suggest a service for streaming the video.

I think the biggest issue you're going to have is the latency on the cell connection. With Sprint 3g I get 100-150 ms at best which isn't ideal for trying to stream video and audio. That said it never hurts to test it out. I might try out using video chat through google

Im not really expecting the video to be perfect or anything, but good enough to watch for the people that cant make it.. If I work fast enough I might be able to get my hands on an Evo 4G which has live video streaming straight from the phone.. That would make this a whole lot easier, but for the time being heres what ive got to use..

HTC Touch Pro
MacBook 13" (Old one)
1.3mp Webcam

Your number 1 enemy will be Bandwidth.

Look into VLC. You will need to setup your laptop as a server. You will need to set up some random server on the internet to relay the video. Then you need to setup the relay to cache the video before sending it out to everyone connecting to it.

If you want to stream directly from your laptop to the internet with a crap connection, MAYBE one person would be able to watch it.

Long story short, you need a stable connection on the laptop and a decent server on some beefy bandwidth to pull this off successfully.

I did the something. Our church let us use their internet and we used Skype, with a HD video camera hooked into the PC via FireWire

It worked well, not a HD stream or anything but totally watchable, we were recording the feed as well

Ustream.com and a 3g connection will work just wont be the best quality.

Best part is you don't need a server or a relay.

If I work fast enough I might be able to get my hands on an Evo 4G which has live video streaming straight from the phone

If you can get a 4g connection - it will be pretty slick. Make sure you have a way to keep it charged if you go that direction. I'm sure you'll want someone walking around the reception with the camera as well. 4g sucks juice...heavy.

and ....

Congratulations!

Yup we've done this at a couple of weddings, laptop, cam, cellular card, and Skype for the software. Easy and worked well.

Yeah, it is likely that one 1 person will actually be watching the feed.. Even though I could give the info to about 20 people, that 1 person is the only one that would actually watch it..

So im sure eithe r a 3g or a 4G connections should be up to the challenge.. Dont have to worry about the phone or laptop dieing as it will be inside. So laptop can remain on charger and phone is hooked to laptop.. Hell, I may get lucky and the place will have WiFi or something, I dunno.. I think the 1080P video cam I got my brother last year can act like a webcam.. If they have wifi I might be able to stream with that and skype/ustream

Back