Wanting to get into the Apple-side

TheComputerguy

Limp Gawd
Hey hey...

I have wanted to get into the apple world.

I usually talk on AIM,mostly surf, load my ipod with music, watch some movie, download a few movies ;), I also do a lot of FTP for my websites.

I have a friend that has a brand new Powerbook 12inch he offered to me for 700.

I don't think that is really good deal, but I could be wrong. Any tips would be awesome.

I am thinking a macbook would do alright, but I want the laptop to last me for a good bit so I was thinking to spend the extra cash on pro.

Gaming isn't a big deal to me, so that is why I was contemplating the pro.

Do you want to post the specs? Maybe we can give you a better answer. :p

As long as it's not terrible, it doesn't seem like a bad deal unless you want to run Windows.

it's the 12 inch, 1.5ppc, the 5200 GeForce, and 1.25gb of ram.

I can still get the apple care too :)

I sorta would like to have the option to run windows, which is why I would like the intel based a little better.

A brand new MacBook is about a grand - I'd spend the extra $300, personally. There's a WORLD of difference between a Core 2 Duo MacBook and a G4 Powerbook. For what you listed, a MacBook should suit ya fine - The Pro isn't needed.

Welcome to the Apple Side of things. You'll like it here.

I was thinking of going with the little nicer white macbook.

the 13.3 is a little bigger than the 12...

thanks for the welcome

I was thinking of going with the little nicer white macbook.

the 13.3 is a little bigger than the 12...

thanks for the welcome
I would wait until the refurbished models are back in stock before making a purchase. Waiting until Leopard if you don't need one now wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Then again, if you have to have it now, I'm not about to stop you. :)

Spend an extra $300 and buy the Macbook instead. You get MUCH better CPU performance (5-6 times faster, at the very least) and it feels a dozen times snappier, plus you get warranty, a much better display, higher RAM capabilities, etc.

Yeah man, I bought my Mini about 8 months ago. I bought my Macbook last month. Though I am still mainly Windows/Linux, I really enjoy the Apple end of things. So I have 1 PC, and two Macs. It allows me great freedom to utilize each of their respective strengths.

Setup:

PC - e6600/2gb pc8500/8800 gtx
Mini - t5600/2gb pc5300/Lacie external 250gb
Macbook - 1.83 c2d/2 gb pc5300/Hitachi 160 gb deskstar

So hopefully I can upgrade the Mini to a Mac Pro, and the Macbook to a Macbook Pro.

Welcome. I think that you will love a lot about Apple. The robustness, unix components in OSX, elegance, and overall culture of Apple if enjoyable Fellow Mac users are a great help.

Good luck on your purchase.

I was in the same situation. I decided to go with the powerbook as I was just learning macs. Needless to say I fell in love and kicked myself for not saving for the macbook.

Get the macbook

Refurb Core Duo Macbooks are $799 when they're in stock...I would definitely take even that over a PB.

Back