• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wanting to connect computer to wireless network

mannyd11

n00b
Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
28
Hey, I've recently decided to build a computer and it will be in my room. And I have my cable and wireless router all setup in the basement.

My question is what would be the best option for me to get a wireless connection upstairs? I think a linksys wireless access point (WAP54G) will be what I need but I'm not too sure. I've looked up numerous things on newegg but read reviews saying they won't work for windows 7 64bit. Please recommend something that you think will work for me.

Just some info for you guys I have a linksys WRT54GS wireless router and I plan on using windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks,
Manny
 
If it didn't work for them they were doing something wrong. A device like the WAP54G doesn't need drivers. The only drivers you'd need to get it working is the ones in your computer for your Network Interface Card (NIC). it will also require minimal setup if you're running wireless security, which is something I HIGHLY recommend doing on a wireless network. WPA2 is the current best among wireless devices for security.

**Edit, another cool alternative to wireless is something like a power network adapter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122362
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124306


Cool thing about those is all you gotta do is plug 'em in and go. Very little setup needed (other then again making sure you have the needed drivers for your current built in NIC).
 
Last edited:
Odd, I doubt a router gives a flying ratz crack what OS your using. The compatibility should be with your Wireless card and the router. IF the wireless card works with the router and there are drivers for the wireless card for the OS you are using...it will work.

Only caution is the location of your router to the wireless card and the configuration.
 
Back
Top