• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wanted: Multi flash-card reader that only appears when in use.

SlimyTadpole

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 26, 2007
Messages
107
I'm looking to get a flash card reader that can handle multiple card types. I have one built into the printer I'm about to get rid of. The nice thing about this card reader is that the drives only appear in My Computer if the given slots are actually occupied by cards. I've tried some multi-card readers, but they always show up as multiple drives, and they are always there, regardless of whether a card is present or not.
 
I'll have to disagree with you Wildfire99 as on my system the drives show up when not in use. I disable the ones I don't ever use though-
 
Which brings up the question, WildFire, what multi reader do you have? With my Sony one they are always there..
 
I'll have to disagree with you Wildfire99 as on my system the drives show up when not in use. I disable the ones I don't ever use though-

yup on my vista 64 my card reader shows up as 4 different drives even if there are no cards in reader.
 
Weird. I have a Transcend TS-RDM5W. I plug it into my XP box and I get the usual umpteen million useless drive letters. I took it and plugged it into my Vista (32b SP1) box not long ago and I had no spurious drives show up except for the actual one that represented the card I had plugged in (a Sony Memory Stick).

I was so happy seeing that, I thought MS had fixed the drive problem on Vista. Weird. I suppose I'll have to go do it again to see if I'm insane or blind or what.
 
I hooked it up to my laptop (Vista 32/SP1 also) and I get four spurious drives. I'll have to try it on the original box and see what was up. I noticed it took several seconds for Vista to discover all the drives, so perhaps I was just super fast or something and plugged it in, got the card in, and navigated to it before the extra drives appeared. But still... I must be losing it.

That sucks. And here I actually thought MS had fixed something significant. What a downer.
 
Back
Top