Wanted: Low Profile PCIe x1 Graphics Card

grandmaster

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a low profile PCI Express x1 graphics card. Anything vaguely recent will do, this is for 2D use only.

I'll require the low profile bracket as this will be going into a slimline PC.

Is all you have available is a x1 slot ?

If you are wanting a true PCI Express x1 video card , those are going to be a little harder to find. All the ones I saw on Newegg are around $100.00

I would hope you have a x16 slot that is x1 electrical ??

I'm putting this into an HP Pavilion Slimline which has one PCIe x16 and one x1 slot. It also has Geforce 7100 onboard.

I need to put a 4x expansion card into the x16 slot, leaving me with the x1 slot for the GPU.

I've found that integrated GPUs often use software emulation for the hardware overlay. Intel GMA 950 and X3100 have proved to be useless for my applications, sucking up CPU power whenever the overlay is in use. nVidia swear that the 7100 has a fully hardware accelerated overlay, but I'd just like to get all my bases covered if the price is right.

I suppose in a worst case scenario I could simply file off the end of the x1 slot and use the x16 8400GS the Slimline ships with, but I'd rather not.

You won't find much that's cheap unfortunately. A few FireMV, Quadro, and Matrox cards. There are the two X1550 cards on Newegg as well. Off the top of my head, the FireMV 2250/2400 are available with PCIe 1x (and low profile) and the Matrox G550 (I have one...works pretty well in my server).

Back