• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Wanted: Cool looking farm enclosure

mikeki

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Messages
87
I'm thinking about building a 5 (or so) board blade type folding rig. However, I want it to have a decent looking enclosure for it. I've been surfing trying to find something, but haven't come accross anything compelling. So, here is my idea.

It would be nice to have some sort of plexiglass type box that would hold all the MB's and power supplies. Use some simple spacers between MB's. I could put the server on the top, so there is room for a hard drive. Add some 120mm fans to the sides to generate some airflow. Finally do some nice cable routing and maybe an LED or two, and you would have a conversation piece almost that I could set in my office and folks would ask about it.

Does anyone know if someone has designed such a gizmo? It seems like a single custom cut and drilled sheet of plexiglass for each MB and then some spacers between them would do the trick. Can you screw stand-off's into plexiglass? Any ideas for securing the PSU's. That may be the toughest part.

Once this thing is designed, it seems like it would be easy to go to a machine and have them pop out a few hundred and then sell them to other folders for semi-nice looking folding rigs.

I'm looking for any good ideas / pictures.

 
It sounds like you just need a rackmount cabinet. There was a setup like you mentioned on mini-itx.org, some kind of cluster that was built naked on metal sheets.

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/cluster/

Im slowly putting together a rackmount cabinent to hold all my crap, it really cleans up wiring messes. My room used to look like a dump-truck just backed up and dumped PC's from about 50 feet high, they were laying everywhere, a real mess.
 
Great looking farm and it's the right idea, but I'm looking for an example that uses standard PSU's.
 
There was one around here that had a big aluminum enclosure that they made and it all the psus and motherboards in it. It had a window and was on rollers. I can't seem to find the link. Maybe this'll help someone else who saved the link.

 
Back
Top