Want YOUR opinion. AMD OR P4?

brigga4u69

Limp Gawd
need so help, should i go with a xp2500+ oc'd to 2.2-2.4 ghz on an abit nf7-s OR should i go with a P4 2.4c at 3.0-3.1 on a p4p800 deluxe? let me know what you think
i have to decide tonite
i'm going to be using both with an fx5900, 1 gig pc3200 ddr. let me know what you guys think.
just need a couple extra opinions
lata
iCk
BTW which one would be faster?

If stuck at 3.0-3.1, then the 2500 would be better.... but if you're like my friend comeron and got 3.75ghz, then that would be better.

Also, why the 5900?

also, my 2.5ghz barton was owning 3.2P4's....

Get the AMD , then with what money you save from not getting the p4 you can drop the 5900 and get a 9800 :D

personally Id got for the 2500+ with the NF7-S rev2 with some high overhead ram and OC the bitch till it bleeds.
and lets not turn this thread into a video card debate please, it does nothing more than get threads locked and no questions answered.

Alright I love my ATi but I will not deny NVidia is reconsiled in my boat

I havent followed them too much but seems the BFG 5900NU is the best buy PERIOD. Itll run 5950U's speeds and the drivers have made a big performance gain. 5950's are just as fast or faster in some benchies than the 9800XT.... for 200 bux :eek:

I feel like my 9800Pro is under powered now... a card beatin me out for 100 bux less

P4
whoever said their 2500 beats out 3.2c's i wanna see some pr00f b/c i dont believe that. and if it does, what about mem bandwidth.

What about a p4 with a 1 gig fsb....

AMD all the way!!
its the cheaper route and its just as good as Intel :D

Originally posted by Cloud15x
P4
whoever said their 2500 beats out 3.2c's i wanna see some pr00f b/c i dont believe that. and if it does, what about mem bandwidth.

It can be done, AMD's IPC is higher than Intels at the moment..last I checked :p

id say the 2.4C

but thats just beacseu ive had such a great experience with the chip, its insane

read my sig to see what im talking about

Originally posted by Cloud15x

Memory bandwidth isn't everything buddy.

see i already have a nf7-s and i'm getting a 2500 but i also found a great deal on the p4 setup. and if i get that, they end up costing me about the same. which one is best performance? and also, i got a killer deal on that vid card. i don't have it yet. it's on the way. was thinkin about the 9800 but first i gotta see how well this thing does. so a couple more opinions and maybe some people would like to elaborate on why one is better than the other. i've been with amd for a while so i'm not really sure. let me know what you guys think
thanks
lata
iCk
BTW thanks to all for input

I would get a 2.4c which will probibly do close to 3.5/3.6 rock stable on a nice heatsink.

Dont think the AMD would keep up with that.

AMD all the way man! I am not sure if AMD is still cheaper than Intel but it proably is since it always been and its just as good. I got an epox mainboard herd its great for OC'in but i havent OCed yet. So get the AMD and OC it 2 go beyond the intel. Or is it already beyond intel? :D

This is quite simple. If you do heavy video editing then go P4 because it has more memory bandwidth; however if you play games and do heavy multimedia then go for athlon xp. I switched from a P4 platform back to athlon because I realized that I don't do as much video editing as I thought I would, thanks to dvd shrink 3 and imgtool making dvds is much easier and quicker. I also made the switch because I was waiting for hyper-threading P4s to come out then Intel screwed me over by only releasing P4s with 800mhz fsb. I decided not to wait anymore for the price to drop on the only 533Mhz fsb P4 with HT and went back to athlon because they're quicker than my celeron which I bought when I had first built my system to save money towards the P4 and waited over a year, thanks to college I haven't had the money to get it. I know that I'll be able to afford the 3000+ athlon by this summer after my school bills are paid off. With the prices ever dropping so rapidly on the athlon XPs the P4 chip will still cost around $250 I figure around summer while the 3000+ will be around $150 Trust me on this unless you do heavy video editing the P4 isn't worth the price. I looked at the latest benchmarks on the P4 versus the athlons and the difference between them now compared to last year is now marginal (Tomshardware, Anandtech) I basically waisted my money going to P4. Price/Performance ratio even the most expensive athlon XPs are still better than the P4s. BTW if you do some video editing once and a while the athlon 3000+ 333Mhz fsb athlon xp is faster in encoding than the 3000+ 400Mhz fsb because of its faster clock rates.

chronofox, if you do heavy video editing, get a 2x2GHz G5 and stick 8 gigs of RAM in it. :D 16 gigs per second! ;) A little pricy perhaps... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd say AMD... more performance for the money, at least in anything that needs a good FPU. Buy a 2500+ Barton and overclock it?

if you are going to be using DDR400 then you should go Athlon.
If ya go Intel (especially a C series 800 fsb version). You will want to get some higher rated ram, ddr500, because you wont have much overhead with the lower speeed ram as you are starting out at 200 fsb and intels are multiplier locked meaning you need to use the bus to overclock.

Either one works very well, but if you go Intel get a 2.6C, as their so cheap right now. Also someone mentioned 5900's in this thread, theres an article at the inquirer.net on how to flash the bios of your 5900 to the bios of a 5950. So yeah 5900 is a great bang for your buck card now.

Originally posted by Ben-mod
Either one works very well, but if you go Intel get a 2.6C, as their so cheap right now. Also someone mentioned 5900's in this thread, theres an article at the inquirer.net on how to flash the bios of your 5900 to the bios of a 5950. So yeah 5900 is a great bang for your buck card now.

5950 still isnt as good as a 9800XT...unmodded

Just a quick little note. Barton 2500+'s can be had for under $90.00. A 5900 128MB can be had for under $200.00. Are you willing to pay double the CPU price for equal performance, and almost double the video card price for a negligable increase in the real gaming world? Are you really going to notice 10FPS in UT2K3? AMD systems were my favorite in College because I had no money. Now, I have a little more money and still appreciate the quality you get for the price you pay. A 2500+ overclocked to 2.2+Ghz(Almost all can do this) on a 400FSB and a 5900 128 make for one hell of a cheap gaming rig. Then, you can spend a little more money on a high quality motherboard, RAM, Cooler, and STILL have money left over.

I'm not saying that a good late core 2.4C and a Radeon 9800XT won't go faster. Many 2.4C's have gone over 3.2Ghz, and the 9800XT does smack down the 5900 128MB like a red headed stepchild. But is it worth the extra cost?

My own personal choice? Check my sig.

Matt.

Well it depends if you are on a tight budget. If you are on a budget, the 2500 oc'ed to around 2400-2500mhz will give you almost [email protected] performance. If the 2.4c is stuck at 3.0-3.1ghz, go with the amd cause the amd 2500 is a sure bet to at least around 2200-2300mhz, in which case it will beat the 3.0-3.1ghz 2.4c. But if you are not on a tight budget, get a 2.4c and some high quality ram. Most of the new MO steppings hit 3.5-3.6ghz rock solid with default vcore. Even some of the older chips hit those speeds, albiet with a little more voltage. Just look at my sig. With my mushkin arriving tomorrow, there will be no denying that this setup will crush a 2500. But again, that costs a lot more. IT all comes down to what is important to you and what you want to spend. bottom line:

AMD 2500 is the best bang for the buck. period.
Intel 2.4c @ 3400-3500 with good memory is the higher performing chip.

again, it all comes down to preference and how much you want to spend. I hope this helped.

If your not going over 3.2GHz with a P4 then go amd. If you get a 2.4C and some good cooling/ram and get to ~3.6GHz then your all set. I recently bought a 3.0C and running it at 3.75GHz:)

p4 if you can afford it. Personally i dont have enough dough to buy a fast p4 so i stick with my 80 dollar barton 2500 and push it to 2.2 ghz. An amd3200 equivelent for 80 bucks, illl TAKE IT.

Originally posted by Ben-mod

Get a 2.4C, they are overclocking so much better.
My 2.6C takes a lot of volts to get the same overclocks as many of the 2.4C's are doing.

The simple fact is, if you can spare the extra cash, go for the Intel; you wont be sorry ;)

Originally posted by enraged78
...the 9800XT does smack down the 5900 128MB like a red headed stepchild...

LOL! Heh, thats one of the funnier analogies I heard in a long time :D

Personally I'd go AMD, but that's because I've always been an AMD fan. My Barton 2500 does 2.3Ghz stock voltage....

hey, diseased cow, what did your 3.0c do on air? reason I am asking is I am about to finish up my wcing and am wondering what kind of gain I will get.

Originally posted by computerpro3
hey, diseased cow, what did your 3.0c do on air? reason I am asking is I am about to finish up my wcing and am wondering what kind of gain I will get.

he never ran it on air....

also, I don't understand your comment? amd sooooo got pwned how?

uh i didnt mke that comment, but maybe he's saying cause I got the better oc? If thats true, it isn't really relevant cause all chips are different and no oc is guaranteed, so AMD didn't really get pwned...

ive had the 2500+/Sn45g combo @ 2.4ghz , and it was great, but i just love the new rig,

the biggest reason i got the p4 was because i got a damn good deal on it, if it wasnt for that, i would have bought a 3000+ ,

-paulm

I say P4 man...I always go Pentium...

I smell a flamewar coming upon us very soon!:p

majority of the people get 3.4GHz on air, and up to 3.6GHz if the air cooling is at its best,

about the pwned comment:

"My Barton 2500 does 2.3Ghz stock voltage...." ~500MHz OC
"my 2.4c does 3.45ghz stock voltage" over 1GHz OC

thats why I made the comment, although that barton is probably as fast as the P4...;)

I would say AMD man, like repeated so many times before " You get more bang for the buck". Now hearing all this about AMD or Intel, just go with the one you know will benefit you the most. I was thinking the other day, and correct me if I'm wrong, let's imagine we could take a AMD CPU and give it the Mhz and FSB of a P4 2.4, ( take the 2500, a 32 bit processor, to make this fair) and give it all these features, don't you think that the 2500 would run hell of a lot better than the P4. Also, 2.4 is a great OCer right, how about are imagined CPU( 2500, just to give it a name) being able to OC to 3.6, wouldn't it run like a what 4.4mhz. Now this is just a thought, nothing to start a flame war, just an example of AMD's inovated work, having there 2.2's run competitive against 3.2's, they seem to get the job done with just half the power, sounds good to me. Comments and opinions on this are well excepted, while flaming bitches can go F@*K themselves. Excuse my French.

iv had a 2500+ @ 2.2 ghz and 1.725V
i now have a P4 2.4c @ 3.6ghz and 1.54V stock.

the difference is night and day. the P4 spanks what the 2500+ could ever even try!

benchmarks on my 2500+ compared to my 2.4c are no contest. the P4 beat the 2500+ in my machines by thousands of 3dmarks. right around 2200 more marks.

this is with an abit IC7 MAX 3
2.4c
9800XT
1GB mushkin Level 2 PC3500
and homebrew water cooling with a DD RBX and 1/2 tubing system.

its hands down. the P4 owns the barton as far as i am concerned.

not only that, but dual channel in my 2500+ and NF7 S rev 2, the memory bandwidth was around 3500mbps.

with my Intel rig, i have reached over 6000 mbps.

thats smackdown.

just my opinion. tak it as you will.

how about are imagined CPU( 2500, just to give it a name) being able to OC to 3.6, wouldn't it run like a what 4.4mhz.

I'm not talking about an actual 2500, it was just to give it a name

I run my 2.6C at 3.3 on stock voltage. I prefer intel as I have had no bad experiences with them.

Back