Want to use Outlook 2002 as an email server and client

rsnellma

Gawd
I want to use Outlook 2002 as an email server and client. Is this possible? If so, how? I don't have an email server, but I do want to send and receive email from within my LAN. Sorta like GroupWise. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob2001

Outlook is not a mail server. There are, however, free win32 mail servers available. Check into Mercury or ArGoSoft

What sort of internet connection are you planning on running this server from and who will be using it? If you're planning on running it from your residential broadband, consider that most ISPs either block the mail ports or forbid you from running a mail server in the TOS. You'll need to check with your ISP first. Another problem associated with running a mailserver is you must purchase (or otherwise obtain) a valid domain name. The MX (mail exchanger) record for that domain must point to the IP that the mailserver is on. This becomes especially problematic if your public IP is dynamic.

Assuming you're not troubled by the above concerns, check out ArGoSoft, as it is the best free mailserver available for windows. Windows does not have great mailserver selection, and the only halfway decent ones are meant for businesses, as the proce tag tends to be several hundred dollars (see MDaemon(my favorite) and Exchange). If all you want is personal email for you, friends, or a few employees, go ahead and purchase a domain name and some webhosting through a hosting reseller.

I am sorry I didn't make things clear. I understand that Outlook is an email client, but is there a way to set it up to send and receive email without an email server. I would be using it for training purposes of Outlook and it would be in a LAN environment with no outside world connection (via Internet). I just need to send and receive email from within Outlook to other people that will be taking the training. I guess you would call it an Intranet environment. Thanks in advance.

Bob2001

A mail server is required for email. Just use one of the freebies above. TOS won't be an issue if it stays internal, nor will a domain name be a requirement.

Back