Want to use a 2nd router as just a switch on growing network

hyt3k9

2[H]4U
Okay, my home network has started to grow bigger than I expected. I now have too many PC's than ports, instead of buying a new switch.. I would like to use a Gigabit Router I have lying around, and configure it to just act as a switch with my current router.

So.. My setup consists of D-Link Wireless Router (54g) piped into a Netgear 5 port gigabit switch at the moment. I want to add my Netgear gigabit wireless router into this mix, just to get the extra gigabit ports, and only have this router function as a switch only. Is this possible? If so, what settings specifically do I have to disable so this thing wont conflict with my D-Link. I know DHCP has to be disabled, but anything else?

Yes, I know the Netgear would make a better main router, but my WHS box doesn't like to configure well with it, and allow outside FTP requests when I am on the road. So this router go demoted to switch status :D

Any help would be appreciated!

You would have to disable dhcp, make sure the router has a different ip than the other hardware.

disable dhcp on second router, set ip of router, plug cable from router1 lanport to router2 lanport (not wan).

Hey! buy my 48 port baystack! :D :D

Yeah, but it's not gigabit, I know.. :)

Just disable DHCP and don't use the WAN port of the router. Also make sure it's LAN IP doesn't conflict with your existing router.

Back