Want to try android again...

David-Duc

[H]ard|Gawd
I was a long time android lover, switched to iPhone after my Nexus 6 because the lack of timely software update... fast forward 1 year to now, iPhone 7 Plus is still great but I miss android a lot. Went to BestBuy to day to grab the LG G5 Unlocked - RS988 ($379) and I'm dissapointed again. The phone is still stuck on Marshmallow 6.0.1 with 1/17 security update. Here are my concerns:
1. Will LG update this particular model (RS988) to 7.0 at all or 6.0 is the end of it?
2. Is bootloop a common issue with this gen? If so, how do you test it?

Thank you all.

You changed from a Nexus device because of lack of updates? I'm not sure how many more updates you could get.

#1 - No clue. The G5 was basically a DOA POS. There's little wonder you were disappointed.
#2 - It has a bootloop issue and is covered under an extended warranty (for bootlooping), as well as the class action lawsuit. How do you test it? You don't. You don't buy LG until they get their fucking shit together.

1. I can only assume it will get Nougat since all the carrier variants of the G5 have got the update already. For whatever reason, it seems Samsung, LG, and Moto are having more trouble supporting their unlocked phones more than their carrier variants. You would think it would be the opposite.
2. I haven't see many bootloop reports on the G5 yet. It seems to have mostly affected the G4, Nexus 5X, and V10 models. But I do know the G5 was a part of the class action lawsuit going on right now because of this defective hardware.

Anyways, it's odd that you chose to get one of the worst phones of 2016 to go back to Android for. I'd say the Nexus 6 you had before that would have been a better phone overall, esp. considering you say you left it for lack of software support and any non-Nexus/Pixel phone is going to be significantly worse than that Nexus 6 was in that aspect. The only way I see anyone complaining about lack of timely updates on the Nexus 6 was if they were on AT&T, which were holding back a lot of their Nexus 6s from getting the Marshmallow update, which was easy to work around in most cases.

T4rd: got the G5 mostly because of its price, I thought $379 is a good price but I'm thinking about returning it because of the lack of support.

You changed from a Nexus device because of lack of updates? I'm not sure how many more updates you could get.
The Nexus 6, even those bought from Google, still have to wait for the carrier to push out the 6.0 update: as soon as you put the carrier SIM in to the phone, it will upgrade the phone to the carrier specific version. That was the last straw for me.

For that price, get a OnePlus 3, or save a bit of coin and get a Moto G5 Plus.

The Nexus 6, even those bought from Google, still have to wait for the carrier to push out the 6.0 update: as soon as you put the carrier SIM in to the phone, it will upgrade the phone to the carrier specific version. That was the last straw for me.

This isn't true. You can always download the release directly from the Google site instead of waiting for the OTA:

https://developers.google.com/android/images

Source:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...being-withheld-but-it-doesnt-actually-matter/

Last edited:
Agree. Also with the dreaded bootloop on the G4 and G5's I would not touch LG with a 10 foot pole. If your on t-moblie grab the G7 edge for 420$. 7.0 out of the box. If not Moto G5 Plus 4GB ram and 64GB storage for 299$ 7.0 out of the box. If not grab a base line OPO 3T or regular 3

Another vote for the OnePlus 3T. It brought me back to Android from the iPhone... well, about 75% back. I still like my 7+, but the 3T is my every day phone, now. Super fast, superb battery life, dual SIM, easy to root/ROM if that's your deal, recently updated to 7.1.1... Lots to love.

$439 64GB/$479 128GB from OnePlus, but you can find it cheaper on Swappa.

If timely OS updates are your thing, the Google Pixel line is your only option with Android. You really shouldn't consider anything else.

You'll see vendors that are reasonably good about cutting the delay to weeks (or maybe a couple of months), but you're always going to face a significant delay between Google's initial release and when it reaches non-stock phones. And outside vendors have a habit of dropping update support quickly... it's not uncommon to get no more than one or two major OS updates.

Whatever you think of iOS, that's a distinct advantage Apple has in controlling both the hardware and software: when it says an update is available, it means everyone with an eligible device can get it that very moment. No staged rollouts, no half-year waits, just go and get it.

If timely OS updates are your thing, the Google Pixel line is your only option with Android. You really shouldn't consider anything else.

You'll see vendors that are reasonably good about cutting the delay to weeks (or maybe a couple of months), but you're always going to face a significant delay between Google's initial release and when it reaches non-stock phones. And outside vendors have a habit of dropping update support quickly... it's not uncommon to get no more than one or two major OS updates.

Whatever you think of iOS, that's a distinct advantage Apple has in controlling both the hardware and software: when it says an update is available, it means everyone with an eligible device can get it that very moment. No staged rollouts, no half-year waits, just go and get it.
The Pixel XL is a good phone but it is nowhere good enough to command that $700+ price tag, IMO. I would pick it up if it is priced around $450-500.

I guess I'm returning the G5 and will order an OPO 3T then. At least I think the 3T has tons of roms available for it should OPO decide to stop supporting the phone.

BestBuy stores are now charging $35 buck for phone return (my G5). Returned a crappy ZTE phone 2 years ago and they didn't have that policy in place :(. Got home and placed the order for the 3T, should arrive next week.

Also played a bit with the S8+ and Pixel XL, it puzzled me that the vibration on them just felt "cheap": the motor vibration is weaker and not as crisp as the taptic engine inplemented by Apple. Not a deal breaker but you would think Samsung and HTC should know how to polish their products. And Samsung want $850 for a phone that still lag when scrolling? No thanks. Yes, the S8+ I tried was laggy when scrolling through the app drawer and recent apps.

The S8 lags because their in-store demo software basically only allows it to show the demo properly. Everything else is a mess. That's why it resets to demo mode after 15 seconds or so.

As for the Apple Taptic Engine, yes, they did something really well with the 7/7+, but before October, it was the same crap on every phone. The 7 is the only phone where I don't actively hate the vibration module. And since Apple has a patent on this and are lawsuit happy... We won't see anything equivalent for a while.

I'm having an issue with file transfer over network share (Windows SMB). The speed is painfully slow and I could not figure out what is the problem:
- From file server to desktop (SMB, 1Gbps wired): 800+ Mbps.
- From file server to laptop (SMB, Wireless N 150 Mbps): 60 Mbps.
- From file server to phone (SMB, Wireless AC 430 Mbps, Total Commander): 10-ish Mbps. However, I'm getting around 40-50 Mbps while downloading stuff from internet so it just does not make sense to me. Didn't have this problem with my iPhone as far as I remember.
- File transfer using USB cable: ~15 MBps (~100+ Mbps) so the flash memory is not the problem.

Last edited:
Former Nexus 6 owner checking in...

I had to get rid of mine because of a call issue where, when I picked up a phone call, it would hang right up on the person, so I'd have to call them back. And chances are they are pissed because they think I'm dodging them.
Well, the last straw was a major family emergency that did not end well, and my phone did that to my Father.
Ditched that and went the Note 5 - BEST phone I have ever had.
Then I got sweet-talked into using an LG V10. Never. Again. Currently that is my Android gaming device, but other than that, it speaks volumes (along with the G5 in this thread) about how un-reliable LG has become. And I say that knowing how much I loved my Nexus 5 when I had it.

Back