Want to reconfig the network at work so desktop isn't local. help?

Brothernod

Limp Gawd
The simplest exposition possible. I work at one branch of a company that has 3. The corporate IT guy is at another location (only 1 guy) and is trying to like unify the places and is trying to assert his authority. So he set us up on a domain and the ass set me up as an admin but won't give me the actual local pc administrator passwords, even though i'm the only IT person at this branch (small 10 computers)..... okay sorry, he pisses me off.

THE MAIN POINT. our computers are all ass slow and corporate isn't ready to upgrade them even though they're 3 gig harddrives win 192 megs of ram on Pentium 2 300mhz with Win2k. I've starting to get very fearful of the harddrives dying and ontop of that with only 3 gigs, on a few pc's I don't have enough room to install updates :/

We have a local fileserver running Windows 2000 Server and I would like to set it up so all our computers store their desktop and My Documents folder on the server. Ideally I'd like it so that anyone could log on to any computer and it would be as if they were at their home pc. It's not necessary since they don't move around, but it would be useful for me so when these pieces of crap start dropping it won't take nearly as much time to get someone back up, plus they can work somewhere else while I fix stuff.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Question: Are all the PCs logging into the domain? Is the server logging into the domain?

If the answer is yes then you can set up a share on the server with user directories, map a drive to the share on the PC, and redirect their My Documents to that user folder.

Then you can turn on Roaming profiles on the accounts for the people you manage.

I normally do this through Group Policy but in your case I would be cautious since you don't oversee the whole network. You would just do these manually.

Also another hint: If you have Domain Admin you can change the local admin password. But that is depending on your situation. Don't do anything that would get you in trouble but at the same time you might need to change it to get into the local interface of a PC.

Instead of taking things in your own hands, you really should try to *work* with the main IT guy to get things the way you would want them.

There are many possibilities in which things can be made better, but if you were to start changing things without corporate approval you just might find yourself in a lot more trouble than what its worth.

I wouldn't be changing things without corporate approval. I would discuss it with him and let him know what's going on and his opinions, after all he is the domain controller.

But I was there before he was at the company and he's acting all high and mighty when I swear he's just starting to take courses in this shit.

I'm not trying to start a war or anything, I'm trying to do things the way they should be done. Because in the end if anything goes wrong i'm the one that's gonna have to fix it not him, and since they're being stingy and not replacing their 5 year old computers I think this is a step that needs to be done.

Opinions?

Well, for starters how and what is setup and corporate and each branch office?

Alot depends on the existing topology to where you want to go and could be a way to pinpoint existing problems.

I will agree that employees need to be saving their data to a "centralized" server which can be accomplished by establishing a network share combined with roaming profiles and folder redirection.

If possible I would setup the root of the DC at corporate with backup DCs at each office if each office has it's own server.

One thing to look into is using your larger central file server as a terminal server. That way the end user PCs don't mean anything as far as performance is conecerned. It greatly simplifies admin and no matter where you log on, you get your desktop.

the local file server isn't fast enough to act as a terminal server plus I'm only part time there so if it ever went down there would be problems.

What's this about Citrix?I know they use it for something but nothing related to this.

Citrix acts somewhat like a pcAnywhere type program would. It allows you to log onto a central server via the network and use any terminal anywhere to access the functions of that server. The example I've seen used before, is that you could essentially run Win2k and Office2k on a 486 by using the Citrix client to log onto your server.

It would also allow you to setup individual directories for each logon.

I had a setup using Citrix at a previous job, where there were no functions available on the local machines aside from logging onto the Citrix server. Once you were logged on, only then were you able to access functions like web browsing, office, email, etc.

Back