Want to host a BF2 ranked server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatmatt

[H]ard|Gawd
<<Ranked server requirements?>>

EA is limiting trusted server distribution to our network of ‘trusted partners’ in order to protect the integrity of the code system. We want everyone to be able to play Ranked if they choose, preferably free of charge, so we’ve been working on ways to broaden the free trusted server network in the last few weeks.

What we recently decided is that in order to keep the trusted network manageable and secure, we will provide trusted server code to hosts that a) can demonstrate the security we need (i.e., total protection of the trusted server code, no FTP access to the boxes running Ranked Servers or anything like that) and b) are willing to host at least 10 free servers for a year. In addition, as they rent additional servers (beyond those first 10) they must also put up more free servers (one for each 10 rented). EA are asking for that arrangement instead of sharing revenue on the server rentals, as we are committed to getting as many secure, free ranked servers as possible for our community.

Something else to be aware of with Ranked servers is that they will have a number of settings hard-coded so that user's cannot adjust them. These settings were all set as below to keep the competition on Ranked servers balanced across all providers.

Min Players: 16
sv.password = empty string (there are some servers out there with passwords…Ranked servers are intended to be available to all players, thus they may not be the right leasing choice for all players…please make sure that your clients understand that they are not to password Ranked servers…this item will also be hard-coded in the first update, so again best to sort out now).

sv.numPlayersNeededToStart = (6 for maxPlayers 16, 10 for 32, 10 for 64)
sv.spawnTime 15
sv.manDownTime 15
sv.ticketRatio 100
sv.teamRatioPercent 100
sv.punkBuster 1

Though it is not required, we also request that all servers run Friendly Fire at 100% for all settings.

Lastly, Ranked servers will not be allowed to run Mods or Custom Maps, as we cannot ensure the balance of these components.

Ranked server lessees should be allowed to apply a password to the server, but in order to facilitate this, your systems will need to be able to switch the Unranked server executable to do this.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns.

If you feel that your company can provide the security and breadth of servers to our Community that we are requesting, then we would are willing to move forward and evaluate your service as a potential Battlefield Trusted Server Provider and partner.

Thanks,

Ouch

That's a motherfucking joke that you can't password your ranked server. It's YOUR Server, your money.

What about clans that want to play ranked matches??? That'd be impossible to do without a passworded server.

And run 10 servers free just so you can run a ranked server? HAH! that's almost laughable.

why would a clan need to play a ranked match against another clan?

that whole thing sounds pretty decent to me

ill be happy as long as theres plenty of free ranked servers to play on

Jesus_Faction said:
why would a clan need to play a ranked match against another clan?

that whole thing sounds pretty decent to me

ill be happy as long as theres plenty of free ranked servers to play on
For competitive reasons and practice for tournaments. It is very common so, yeah, no passworded servers suck. They are only doing this because of people like the NERV clan who were cheating their ranks up very high by playing a medic revive game on their locked ranked server.

>For competitive reasons and practice for tournaments.

No, that doesn't explain why they need to play on a "RANKED" server. What, you get no training unless the statistics are collected globally? Gee, I wonder how people ever trained before all this statsmasturbation began...

eloj said:
>For competitive reasons and practice for tournaments.

No, that doesn't explain why they need to play on a "RANKED" server. What, you get no training unless the statistics are collected globally? Gee, I wonder how people ever trained before all this statsmasturbation began...
I wanted my stats tracked in clan matches before, so yeah, ranked servers for us.

That's just so anal. The stats are still there for the individual matches, it's just that they're not tracked _globally_, since those stats are only meaningful in the context of other ranked servers and for whacking off to.

eloj said:
That's just so anal. The stats are still there for the individual matches, it's just that they're not tracked _globally_, since those stats are only meaningful in the context of other ranked servers and for whacking off to.
Don't blame honest clans for the locked (or lack thereof) ranked servers, blame clans like NERV.

So you rent a ranked server from EA or trusted hosting entity. Make it public. When you and your crew who are paying for it want to play, an admin just kicks some people off the server. What's the big deal?

I'm the Dude said:
So you rent a ranked server from EA or trusted hosting entity. Make it public. When you and your crew who are paying for it want to play, an admin just kicks some people off the server. What's the big deal?
If you want to have a match on it (requires PW) you will get delisted. Also, it's BS what server hosts have to do just to be able to rent ranked servers.

kick@ss said:
If you want to have a match on it (requires PW) you will get delisted. Also, it's BS what server hosts have to do just to be able to rent ranked servers.

It says you just switch to the unranked version in order to lock it.

Tedium said:
It says you just switch to the unranked version in order to lock it.
And you have to restart the server for that, through some web based interface provided by the server host. What if everyone doesn't have access to this (which is likely)? That could limit the amount a team could scrim or could possibly cancel a match if something unforseen happened with the person who can switch the server between ranked and unranked.

kick@ss said:
And you have to restart the server for that, through some web based interface provided by the server host. What if everyone doesn't have access to this (which is likely)? That could limit the amount a team could scrim or could possibly cancel a match if something unforseen happened with the person who can switch the server between ranked and unranked.

Then don't use the server for your matches unless you have access to it? If you can't switch the server from ranked to unranked then you probably don't have the ability to lock it in the first place so it isn't really an issue.

Tedium said:
Then don't use the server for your matches unless you have access to it? If you can't switch the server from ranked to unranked then you probably don't have the ability to lock it in the first place so it isn't really an issue.
No, there's a significant different between having access to web based admin control panels and rcon. A lot of my friends have rcon access to various CS and CS:S servers. They do not, however, have access to the based admin control panel (if the server has one). Only the person who rents and pays for the server has access. So yes, it really is an issue.

It seems like if the clan knows in advance when a scrim/match is gonna happen, the right person will get access to this server tool that allows the server to be rebooted. I mean that just makes sense. I would agree with you if you're talking about last minute, or last second type situations. Maybe you are and I didn't read well enough. It's possible.

Ranked servers for clan tourneys is rediculess. Can you imagine the rule modifications TWL or CAL would have to create. Besides it's the EA system that tracks it. You would have to have a 'match only' profile NEVER used in public servers to maintain fairness (can you hear the screaming when the lamest player has the highest rank and unlocked weapons) And try policing this madness????

Personally I think EA could be playing with fire with this whole idea anyhow. Antitrust anyone? They are forcing us to use their servers or their "trusted" partners, that is such a load of shit. Give it time, I'm sure someone will come up with a lawsuit.

As usual, its a good idea that is being executed extremely bad. Tracking stats and stuff should be a fun kick to look at later, not a vice to gameplay that supercedes any sane public standard. They really mucked this up.

And they threw out coop and singleplayer options for this crap...

digilink said:
Personally I think EA could be playing with fire with this whole idea anyhow. Antitrust anyone? They are forcing us to use their servers or their "trusted" partners, that is such a load of shit. Give it time, I'm sure someone will come up with a lawsuit.

lol, anti-trust lawsuit? You can't be serious.

"DoJ, you must help us! EA is restricting access to their player ranking system!"

www.branzone.com has the ranked servers and I know the owner. I talked to him and he had to agree to host 10 free servers to be a "trusted parter". He applied and is getting access in the next day or two.

"DoJ, you must help us! EA is restricting access to their player ranking system!"

Why not? They did it to Microsoft. AMD is suing Intel over the same grounds, why would they (EA) be any different?

And yes, I was serious. Admittedly, I think it would be foolish for such a lawsuit to be executed, however, given current industry trends, it would not surprise me in the least.

Time to take a breather guys.

Take a step back and think hard why EA would do this for their their ranking system.

People were abusing their system by constantly kill reviving in a locked private ranked server. Now this may be perfectly fine to some people.. but EA doesn't like it so tough luck. You play on their ladder.. you follow their rules.

It's almost like placing first in a gold tournament where you cheated on your score and turned that in. Sounds pretty damn ridiculous doesn't it?

Some might use the "My money, my server, I can do whatever the hell I want." You know what? You are free to do that. You just won't have your stats uploaded to EA's ranking list. You can have private clan matches whenever you like. Just host the match on an unranked server with weapons unlocked.. boom you got a fair playing field.

Stop trying to justify improper stat boosting.

people who cry over a ladder based stat system for a video game should probably readjust their priorities in their lives. unless of course, they are offering a huge cash prize?
:D

and oh yeah, its their system. dont like it? dont play it.
I will play BF2 plenty but could care less about stats.

weebling1 said:
Ranked servers for clan tourneys is rediculess. Can you imagine the rule modifications TWL or CAL would have to create. Besides it's the EA system that tracks it. You would have to have a 'match only' profile NEVER used in public servers to maintain fairness (can you hear the screaming when the lamest player has the highest rank and unlocked weapons) And try policing this madness????
The issue is if a clan wants to have a public server with stats but occasionally needs to use it for scrims or matches with the ranking off.

Steel Chicken said:
people who cry over a ladder based stat system for a video game should probably readjust their priorities in their lives. unless of course, they are offering a huge cash prize?
:D

Actually, for me, the issue is the existence of it at all. Aside from statwhores being amazingly annoying, you've got incentive to whore - better guns, more likely to be commander.

Now, some say that the guns are different, not better. To those people, I ask you to aim any default sniper rifle through the windshield of a chopper. Watch the pilot smile at you behind the crack. Now try it with the Barrett. Sonofabitch stopped smiling, didn't he?

The other guy paid $50. I paid $50. He has more content than I do. Explain how this is fair. On top of that, either the game was balanced with the added content in mind, which puts me at a disadvantage, or the game was balanced without the extra content, which puts them at an advantage. Either way, I get screwed, unless I either find some people to statwhore with, stick to default-weapons-only servers, or quit my job to devote 8 hours a day to Battlefield.

Kevin Lowe said:
Actually, for me, the issue is the existence of it at all. Aside from statwhores being amazingly annoying, you've got incentive to whore - better guns, more likely to be commander.

Now, some say that the guns are different, not better. To those people, I ask you to aim any default sniper rifle through the windshield of a chopper. Watch the pilot smile at you behind the crack. Now try it with the Barrett. Sonofabitch stopped smiling, didn't he?

The other guy paid $50. I paid $50. He has more content than I do. Explain how this is fair. On top of that, either the game was balanced with the added content in mind, which puts me at a disadvantage, or the game was balanced without the extra content, which puts them at an advantage. Either way, I get screwed, unless I either find some people to statwhore with, stick to default-weapons-only servers, or quit my job to devote 8 hours a day to Battlefield.

Far out man. YOu're the same Kevin Lowe from the ars site as well right?

digilink said:
Why not? They did it to Microsoft. AMD is suing Intel over the same grounds, why would they (EA) be any different?

And yes, I was serious. Admittedly, I think it would be foolish for such a lawsuit to be executed, however, given current industry trends, it would not surprise me in the least.

Microsoft and Intel did it in markets that were already established, the computer software markets...you're talking about the Battlefield 2 server market, a market based on a product entirely owned by EA. You're saying EA shouldn't have say over how their product is used, and that any attempts to do so are monopolistic?

Got any other problems in life? Maybe a bad back, poor eyesight? Are there people you would like to sue for those too?

Got any other problems in life? Maybe a bad back, poor eyesight? Are there people you would like to sue for those too?

No, I am healthy. Thank you for your inquiry. :rolleyes:

I never said I would personally like to sue them. I simply stated that it would not surprise me if someone did in fact try. And I also disagree with you that EA is not being monopolistic. The only way to gain weapon unlocks and ranks is to play on THEIR server code. That is like Microsoft telling me I have to use Windows Media player to listen to my MP3's instead of something like Winamp, this situation is no different.

I understand their need for doing what they did, I just simply think they are going about it the wrong way and I would not be surprised if someone pulled an anti-trust lawsuit based on the history of those lately.

It's really shitty how they basically make you do their job for them by having you run 10 servers for free and you can't unlock weapons on a unranked server, it should have been a variable.

No, see...you don't understand. The only way this would be like your little MP3 example is if Microsoft patented MP3. It's THEIR game. You play it, you play by their rules. If you don't want to play by their rules, DON'T BUY THE GAME. I'm not saying it's pretty unfair what they're doing with the way they're handling ranked servers, but it doesn't matter IF YOU DON'T PAY FOR IT. Jesus, understand now?

If you aree paying for a unranked server they shouldn't be able to tell you shit other than it can't be cracked.

Sorry, but I wouldn't pay for a server that I had absolutely no control of. That is fucking absurd.

Not only do you have to leave the game unlocked but you also have to leave Friendly Fire on 100%? What kind of bullshit rule is that? It's bad enough that pubbies are allowed access to ranked servers, let alone allowing them to gun their teammates down when they realize they can't reach their flying coffins in time.

FF at 100% wasnt a requirement....but a request

in other words:
they want it that way but feel it is a bit too much so its your choice on the FF part....but they REQUEST that you leave it at 100%

IMO the no PW thing is BS.....if a clan wants its stats to be recorded while scimming/in a match then why the hell cant they have it that way? what difference does it make? there playing the game. althought there playing it CORRECTLY while the n00bs in un PWed servers are TKing and not being team players......when they wanna be and wanna get rewarded for it they cant...

Is there anything preventing clans from using 3rd party stats collection things for their matches?

I don't really understand why you'd need access to the global ranking thing.

This whole ranking system by EA is just retarded. They could have done this so many better ways.
What pisses me off is that people who don't want to fork out money for a mandatory minimum of 10 free servers that they have little control of anyways are getting punished for that decision.
My clan wants the ability to run what ever mods we want and make adjustments (such as realism tweaks) as we see fit. Before the realease, EA and DICE promised that the Python files were going to be accessable to encourage modding.
Then we find out that:
1) Most mods will get our server delisted
2) Only those ranked servers we didn't want to pay for in the first place can have the full game content that we paid for by purchasing the game.
3) If we unlock said content our server gets delisted.
4) Players with rank can come to OUR server and have all the benefits of rank while server regulars get nothing. (like commander positions)

In short, EA is making the game as lame as possible for people that want to run a private server.

Talon Blackrazor said:

Um, video games are a 3.5 billion dollar a year industry. Couple that with all the digital rights issues that seems to be such a hot topic in this country lately and yeah, it's serious enough..

Um, video games are a 3.5 billion dollar a year industry. Couple that with all the digital rights issues that seems to be such a hot topic in this country lately and yeah, it's serious enough..

Thank you. This is exactly the way I see it.

No, see...you don't understand. The only way this would be like your little MP3 example is if Microsoft patented MP3. It's THEIR game. You play it, you play by their rules. If you don't want to play by their rules, DON'T BUY THE GAME. I'm not saying it's pretty unfair what they're doing with the way they're handling ranked servers, but it doesn't matter IF YOU DON'T PAY FOR IT. Jesus, understand now?

Dude grow up and quit flaming. If you disagree with me fine, but you could be more civil about it, you are a straight up jerk.

Flaming? Um, the only thing in that that might possibly be construed as a flame, is you might have possibly thought I was calling you Jesus. How about you grow up, bud? You think all problems are solved by suing what you perceive to be the source, and you complain about me trying to make you understand something because you repeatedly refuse to. I refuse to abandon the message in favor of 'civility,' despite the fact that I believe my last post was plenty civil. Retrospectively, there are about 17 different places where I could have said the f-word along with its various other forms, but I didn't, because I'm such a darn nice guy.

cgrant26 said:
Then we find out that:
1) Most mods will get our server delisted

Only if it's ranked.

cgrant26 said:
2) Only those ranked servers we didn't want to pay for in the first place can have the full game content that we paid for by purchasing the game.

You can have global unlocks on an unranked server, anything else is tied specifically to an EA owned and maintained system which they have, and are entitled to, full control over.

cgrant26 said:
3) If we unlock said content our server gets delisted.

Only if it's ranked.

cgrant26 said:
4) Players with rank can come to OUR server and have all the benefits of rank while server regulars get nothing. (like commander positions)

This is an admin controlled setting, and does not appear to be a requirement on even ranked servers.

cgrant26 said:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with EA restricting access to their ranking system to only servers they deem "trusted."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back