want to hook up old computer

nertil1

Limp Gawd
i found an old pc that has network card installed and my main pc doesn't have one. I know to connect them together you need a network card for both of them, but what else do i need.

The pc i found is good enough to play unreal tournament so i want to connect both the pc's to play this game with my brother. It's only two people.

What do i need to connect both of them
yes i am a noooob at networking
thank you
-nertil

Yes, make sure you get a crossover cable... a straight through cable won't do you any good if you just want to directly connect the two together. Don't bother getting a crossover cable at Best Buy, their prices for cable are ridiculous. Fortunately I have a Fry's in my area, where I can get 50' of cable for $16-20... I don't know if you have that option, but check around first.

Basically all you need to do, once you get net cards in both of the boxes is connect the two comps directly together. Then just run the network setup wizard (to make it easy) and you should be good to go.

Since you need a card you could get a gigabit NIC. Gigabit cards will automatically crossover the signal for you so don’t need a cross over cable. A standard ethernet cable will work.

Then again a crossover cable and a 10/100 nic is still cheaper than a gigabit nic.
Just a thought though

Back