want to get into modding

i have a small little microatx case with tons of crap jammed into it. everything barely fits and its ugly as hell. i want to get into modding, but a monitor will look like crap. im wondering what projects i should look at if i want to get into this kind of stuff. anyone have some suggestions?

i was thinking maybe i could pick up some rounded ide/floppy uv reactive cables (i still use ribbon) and maybe i can make the wires neater. then maybe a cold cathode and a window. or is this dumb seeing as everyone and their mother has done a window mod?

got a pic of what your rig looks like now? so we can give some ideas on what we think would be nice for that case

Windows are STILL COOL as long as they are unique. Don't do the standard rectangle, try something different. Like Splizaat's window, or maybe something even more complicated. A unique design can say alot about the modder.

i dont have a dremel, but i do have a jigsaw. can i drill a hole in my case for a place to start with the jigsaw and do a window without a dremel?

I perfer jigsaws. Just cover the panel with lots of masking tape to keep it from getting all scratched while cutting the opening.

i can say that rounded IDE cables would be a freaking blessing in a small case like that (trust me i have one and i wish i had them)

on top of looking neater they'd be easier to manage arround corners for awkward angles and such...

mabe a sleeving kit too for the power supply because you dont have any place to hid the spare tails in any thing like that

and if you know how to paint wel you cant go wrong with a unique color

Originally posted by stringcheeseincident
i dont have a dremel, but i do have a jigsaw. can i drill a hole in my case for a place to start with the jigsaw and do a window without a dremel?

In short... Yes :D That's what I am doing right now, but I ended up having to do the corners with a dremel because I didn't have a thin enough jigsaw blade to make the turn. But I already had the dremel, and a blade is gonna cost alot less :D

I really wouldn't worry what other people say about your window if you put one in.. I say if you like it, you shouldn't even worry about what other people think about it.

I'm guessing that the case is made of steel rather than aluminium, in which case a jigsaw is better than a dremel unless you happen to lik ebuying new dremel disks. Tight corners could always be cut roughly with a jigsaw, and then neatened with a dremel/dremel clone or by hand with a small needle file. The important thing to remember with jigsaws is to take your time, and let the blade do the work for you - dont push on the jigsaw.

If you don't want to install a window then it's probably best to stick to your ribbon cables. Although rounded cables can provide better airflow through a case, the negative is that data loss/corruption can occur in the cheaper brands, as the individual cables are bunched up tightly. Also ribbon cables are very easy to bend around corners, and tend to stay where you put them a lot easier than rounded cables do.

Personally I recommend you start with just a small mod, maybe changing the LEDs, or tidying the internal cables. This will give you the confidence to move on to bigger tasks such as window cutting or painting.:)

jigsaw's work fine, my friend cut a window into his case w/ it and it was fine. his wasn't mounted on a table tho, so it was kind of messy and not too straight, luckily he was able to cover it up.

i'd suggest non-standard windows. i prefer backlit desgns to standard windows. no one wants to see the inside of your computer, they wanna see what you can do w/ the outside

Originally posted by stringcheeseincident
or is this dumb seeing as everyone and their mother has done a window mod?

Everyone has to start somewhere

and i woudlnt use round ide

THeir are a pain to move and they dont fold well.

Back