Want to get a tablet, what are my options?

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
I want a simple devices I can surf the internet with, watch some videos from time to time, pandora streaming from time to time and write notes occasionally. All things I already do with my phone, I just want a larger screen and better specs.

Ideally I would get an iPad but they cost more then I would like to pay (sub $300), at $499 I might as well suffer with a laptop. I'm looking at getting a Nook Color and rooting it (especially now that the work of porting 3.0 to it is underway) but I'm also wondering if there are any others I should consider? Any Windows netbook tablets in this price range?

I'm looking to get two, one for me and another for my sis. She really wants the Nook Color and so far I think this might be the way to go.

Android is coming on strong at this point and gaining momentum, especially with Android 3.0 rolling in soon. My suggestion:

Get a NOOKColor and stick with it as far as it'll go. It has a most excellent screen in it - arguably the very best 7" screen on any device at this precise moment in time, including the Galaxy Tab. I've had them both side by side and the NOOKColor's screen just blows the Tab's right outta the water twice over.

Same resolution on both - 1024x600 - but the NC just looks so much better (at least to my ages/decades old peepers).

The NC just offers so much considering there's a HUGE community of support behind it as a unique device; go try and find anything useful for the Galaxy Tab or more any other Android powered "tablet" at this moment and you won't find any device as supported by the community and most especially the XDA-Developers forum in the same class, not one.

And it just gets better with each day that passes...

You already know what to buy, and so does your sister. ;)

Thanks. :)

The NC really does seem like the only thing that really hits all points I want in this kind of device. I played around with a friend's and was greatly impressed, and then I heard it could be rooted and made into a tablet. With modders bringing Honeycomb to it it seemed like a no brainer, I was mostly wondering if there was any that I might have over looked.

I love my NC. No doubt. But i couldn't see doing anything but the most basic of notes with it. Definitely nothing for class if that's what you need. Other than that it fits the bill for everything else you want.

The next option up would be either the tab(which i have a hard time recommending for much the same reason Joe Average does), the tablet netbook thing that lenovo released last year or the hp slate thing. It really depends on whether you might want to do more with the tablet later. I could see the NC being limited if your needs ever grow. Otherwise i completely recomend the NC.

Sorry for the double post, posting from NC on dolphin and editng posts doesn't work. But i feel it is worth mentioning that literally everything you want to do can be done on a stock nookcolor. It has a browser that was improved to be very usable with 1.1 (added pinch and zoom gestures). It has a youtube ap and pandora app built in. Gmail could be used for notes.

In case anyoneis wondering, rooting isn't necessary for those uses. Rootingit just adds more options. Its just really easy to root and there is no real reason not too.

sub $300 the nook color dominates everything. just go with it already and love it.

Back