Want to Dual boot, Linux/Windows.

Catsonar

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Ok, so I would like to learn on making my lappy( Dell 9300) in a Dual booting machine. The linux distro that I have choosen is ubuntu, and of course XP Pro. Now, I would like to have both on my 100GB 7200RPM HD. Each OS I would like to assign 50GB. How do I go about doing this, as I have no idea where to start. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thx

Catsonar. :)

It's pretty easy. Just reboot your laptop with the Ubuntu disc in the drive and follow the instructions. Most mainstream Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, come with partition managers built into the installer. It will ask you how you want to split things up before you begin the install. Ununtu will also install a bootloader--a little program which allows you to select which operating system you want to use--which will come up when you boot your dual partition computer.

It's just like having two windows sytems on a disk it just asks you which one you want after the bios / sys checks. click the one you want. sooopah easy.

Ubuntu automatically sets up the bootloader for you during the installation process so that you can boot either Windows or Ubuntu.

Hey guys,

alright well I put the Ubuntu CD in and it let me to the setup. Well I ran into trouble when it began asking me about what I wanted to do with my disk. I'm thinking that it has already detected that I had half the disk used for Windows side. Now, options that were brought up to me was to use free space( or what was left for ubuntu, or partition #1(Compact what is already there) and then begin to make a second partition. Again, I not very good at this so I'm not sure what to do. Now when, I went with the second option, it said that it failed, first one does the same. Help? thx

Catsonar

I would install windows first and only tell windows to make a 50 gig partition. I usually have trouble trying to install windows after linux so thats why I say that. Once windows is installed then linux should be pretty friendly about using the unpartitioned space.

EDIT - If you already have windows installed I'm sorry I wasted your time. I must have read it wrong in my morning coffee blur.

ethos747474nikon8989 said:
I would install windows first and only tell windows to make a 50 gig partition. I usually have trouble trying to install windows after linux so thats why I say that. Once windows is installed then linux should be pretty friendly about using the unpartitioned space.

It sounds like he already has Windows installed...

sitheris said:
It sounds like he already has Windows installed...

^^^^^^ yes sir, I do. I don't need to reformat my whole hardrive again do I? Hope not.

You should have a free 50GB of unpartitioned space. I suggest creating a ~256-512MB partition for swap space (linux generally uses a partition, not a file like windows) and create yet a third partition (~49.5GB) for the actual install.

Back