Want to clean install Vista, but don't want to be labeled a "pirate" later...

kent

2[H]4U
I just got my Moduslink supplied express upgrade to Vista Premium today and I want to install it this weekend.

I legally own MCE2005, obviously as I got my upgrade through the Vista program.

The thing is, I really want to do a clean install and I know how (google if you don't..) I just don't want to be flagged by WGA in a couple of years when Microsoft sees Vista upgrades outselling Vista retails 10:1 or something.

What would you guys do?

As long as you discontinue use of your MCE, its legal to use your upgrade and install it cleanly.

How does Microsoft know if I've discontinued use of MCE though? They obviously can disable your MCE install key -- if you upgrade MCE -> Vista.

But if you do it the only way where you can do a clean install, which is clean install Vista, skip product key screen, upgrade Vista to Vista (lol) and activate finally with your upgrade install key -- Microsoft has no idea you've discontinued use of MCE.

The short short short way to clean install a Vista upgrade edition:

1) Install Vista without using the legit upgrade key provided with the upgrade edition. Obviously this will be done on a blank drive, which you can remove all partitions from using the Vista installer.

2) When Vista is installed and running, click Start - Accessories - and right click directly on the Command Prompt shortcut. Choose Run as Administrator, click Continue on the UAC popup.

3) In that Adminstrator Command Prompt you type these 3 commands and wait for them to each complete (this is assuming you're online and connected to the Internet when you do these commands, of course):

slmgr.vbs -ipk <the Product key with the hyphens> (press Enter and wait for the response)

slmgr.vbs -ato (press Enter and wait for the response)

After that, technically you're done - but the last part is to confirm the status:

slmgr.vbs -dlv (press Enter and wait for the response)

If the last line shows a status of Licensed, you're done.

There is no easier way to do this than that methodology I just laid out above. The delays in processing each command are because of a lot of stuff going on when you execute them; I can't quote specific times because each and every machine is different, so just wait till you get the response from Vista that each command is done. The response is a popup with information on it.

There is no need to do the "double install" of Vista on top of itself. There is no need to disable UAC ever - things are different now so get used to it. You don't even have to reboot after following that method above.

'Nuff typed.

It's called honesty.

You shouldn't have to worry about it as long as you actually do it.

I have no clue what kind of setting this is going in- but if Microsoft ever audits you and you HAVEN'T been honest- you will be totally screwed at that point.

The short short short way to clean install a Vista upgrade edition:There is no need to do the "double install" of Vista on top of itself.

And this is also the ILLEGAL way.
I've talked to two Microsoft representatives about it- the double upgrade is fine with them- but they got all bent out of shape when I told them about the method you mentioned.

They sent me to their manager who wanted to know where I heard of it, and who was doing it. I recorded the whole conversation, but the darn company (321 Call Log) doesn't let me download the file outside of their interface.

I'm simply not going to get into this legality issue ever again with anyone. It's pointless, it ends badly, and no one gives a flying fuck anyway. The method I just described is perfectly legit as long as the person doing it concedes that they are not supposed to use the upgrade product ever again. I can't speak for other people that won't abide by that "rule" so there.

As always, to each his own.

Legality debates aside, I don't see WGA throwing a fit. Assuming your key is legit and your copy is activated using that legit key, WGA should be fine.

I'm simply not going to get into this legality issue ever again with anyone. It's pointless, it ends badly, and no one gives a flying fuck anyway. The method I just described is perfectly legit as long as the person doing it concedes that they are not supposed to use the upgrade product ever again. I can't speak for other people that won't abide by that "rule" so there.

As always, to each his own.

Wow! I figured the double upgrade was the best way. You're my new best friend.

In short, format the target partition, install Vista, run those commands inserting my upgrade key and I'm done.

Now, I plan to reuse the upgrade disc when well.. I reinstall Vista when it goes crazy in 12-18 months. Will there be a problem reinstalling Vista?

Also, I never plan to use my MCE again. I'm not trying to jack/cheat/pirate Microsoft, I just wanna do a clean install of Vista hehe

Oh, ninja edit, you said do command -ipk <key-with-hyphens>

Do I put the < > or not?

so you want to violate the terms of MS' EULA, and you don't want to get screwed for it if they start cracking down on this? shouldn't this thread be locked? :confused:

so you want to violate the terms of MS' EULA, and you don't want to get screwed for it if they start cracking down on this? shouldn't this thread be locked? :confused:

How does this violate the EULA? Personally, I do not see anything in the EULA that requires the previous edition from which you are upgrading to be installed. All that is stated regarding upgrades is:

To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

i.e., you can't use the previous version any more. So long as this passes WGA (which obviously we don't know what the future holds, but right now it's fine) I don't see anything in the EULA being violated by this process.

I don't see how bbz's method is violating the EULA. There is not, and never has been anything in any EULA that I have ever seen that explicitly states you must have a qualifying OS already installed on the computer.

I don't see how bbz's method is violating the EULA. There is not, and never has been anything in any EULA that I have ever seen that explicitly states you must have a qualifying OS already installed on the computer.

To throw MS a bone - there is a prohibition against "work[ing] around any technical limitations in the software," but I don't see how using the software itself as a workaround would violate that prohibition. :confused:

Oh well - enough EULA reading. Back to Jackie Rogers Jr's $100,000 Jackpot Wad :D

*reading the EULA right now*

They sent me to their manager who wanted to know where I heard of it, and who was doing it. I recorded the whole conversation, but the darn company (321 Call Log) doesn't let me download the file outside of their interface.

Uh-oh, bbz_ghost is in big trouble now. ;)

Just one of the sources...

While my first name is Paul too, that ain't me, and besides, my reworking of that oh-so-popular method is the easiest one you'll find anywhere, period. Aside from purchasing a full version, that is. :D

As for Microsoft, fuck 'em. I haven't paid for a Microsoft product in 20 years - they just keep giving the stuff to me for free. I attend product launches (2 copies of Win95, 3 copies of 98SE, 1 copy of NT4, 3 copies of Win2K, 5 copies of XP Pro when it was released, 2 copies of Win2K3, and now 1 copy of Vista Business from the PowerTogether web promotion, all of them NFR), seminars (Visual Studio, etc), workshops (Office98, Office2K, OfficeXP, Office2007, etc).

It's like everytime I turn around my email inbox has yet another offer of some kind or an invititation to attend yet another event where I'll end up leaving with a "goodie bag" full of stuff.

Why ask why? :p

To throw MS a bone - there is a prohibition against "work[ing] around any technical limitations in the software," but I don't see how using the software itself as a workaround would violate that prohibition. :confused:

It can hardly be considered working around any "technical limitations" when Microsoft themselves have included the command line tools and documentation to perform such actions.

This is why I hate this entire universe Microsoft has created around Activation, WGA, etc...

The man paid good money for a product. He now has it in his hand.

And yet he STILL has to take time out of life to worry about such bullship.

This is why I hate this entire universe Microsoft has created around Activation, WGA, etc...

The man paid good money for a product. He now has it in his hand.

And yet he STILL has to take time out of life to worry about such bullship.
Microsoft could take a few lessons from some of the game Cos out there. I just had to reload my wifes pc and she had a lot of games she bought from BIGFISH. Al I had to do was download from a special link, and enter a activation code they e-mailed me and all is well.No Overseas call no 50+ digit code, no stupid are you only using this on 1 pc? (like anybody would ever say NO,it's on 3. ") Alreadly people are having problems with MS Marketplace and anytime upgrades.

I did it this way and it works

1. Boot with The Windows Vista DVD
2. Click Install now
3. Don't enter a product key
4. When it prompts you, place a check mark next to the version you purchased
5. Install Vista
6. When the install is complete do an inplace upgrade and this time enter the key.

I did it this way and it works

1. Boot with The Windows Vista DVD
2. Click Install now
3. Don't enter a product key
4. When it prompts you, place a check mark next to the version you purchased
5. Install Vista
6. When the install is complete do an inplace upgrade and this time enter the key.

That requires you to install Vista twice - once clean then once again on top of itself. Why waste an hour doing such a thing when the 3 basic steps I outlined way back near the beginning of this thread accomplish the exact same end result?

Makes no sense to me why people continue to do the "double install" IF they are aware of the method I laid out, even in it's longer form the other websites spew out. Disable UAC... yeah, right... I don't think so. ;)

I batch filed and saved for future reference:

clean_vista.bat
Code:
 start /w %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk %1
start /w %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ato
start /w %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs -dlv

Just run clean_vista <key>

Will work from UNC path.

Screenshot of other valid switches. It works across the network as well if you specify a machine name.

slmgr.jpg

Pretty slick Nessus.

I'm going to install Vista today... maybe :D

Back