• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Want to by a UPS.

Phranq

Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
842
Anyone have any suggestions? I was hoping for something to run the PC, monitor, router, and modem. I'm not entirely sure how UPS's work as I've never owned one. Too many power surges lately, don't think my group in guildwars appreciates it when I drop. Not to mention my PC when the power surges.


Edit: I'm not looking for anything that will run for more than 5 minutes tops...just need to be able to shutdown when power goes out and not go off during quick surges...
 
Phranq said:
Anyone have any suggestions? I was hoping for something to run the PC, monitor, router, and modem. I'm not entirely sure how UPS's work as I've never owned one. Too many power surges lately, don't think my group in guildwars appreciates it when I drop. Not to mention my PC when the power surges.


Edit: I'm not looking for anything that will run for more than 5 minutes tops...just need to be able to shutdown when power goes out and not go off during quick surges...
APC UPS: American Power Conversion (APC) http://www.apcc.com makers of IMO the world’s finest Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS), check them out, I promise that you will be glad you did.
I recommend this one as it also protects your network connections.
Back-UPS ES 725 Broadband: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE725BB
Available at new egg for $81: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=42-101-127&depa=1

Dave ;)
 
That seems like a good unit to me.

I got a 300va APC back-ups for my dad's computer. (Barton 2500+ system, 17" Viewsonic CRT monitor, DSL modem). It runs it for 6 minutes and works perfect. I think it's a bit underrated for what is on it but it works just fine. He's had it for 4 years and it still works great.

Having a UPS for a computer is a very smart move. Even if it's just for the convenience of not having it shut off during a power surge. :)

If I had the money i'd have one but it's not as big a deal with a laptop. It sucks when the router, cable modem and monitor go off though. I don't loose any work though which is good. :);)
 
thanks for the recommendation...what do you think about Belkin? like this for example?

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd..._Id=&Section_Id=76&pcount=&Product_Id=171906#

There's a free coupon for 50% I've got at Belkin.com


Edit: oh...I guess I'm full of questions, but what is this broadband thing? http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd..._Id=&Section_Id=76&pcount=&Product_Id=171916#

I don't see why if you had you're modem/router plugged into the UPS it wouldn't work, but maybe I'm missing something.
 
I have used APC's for well over 10 years, probably alot more & they have never failed me.

Sam's Club has discountied APC Back Up Pro 1100's for $125,
these communicate with the PC through an RS232 serial port instead of the USB,
these were $454 two years ago.

I have 4 of them with me right now.
Dave
 
That "broadband thing" just means that it has an RG connector on it (like you have on your TV). So let's say lighting hits your house, yes your computer is still protected since it isplugged in to the UPS but the energy can travel down the TV cable into your modem then possibly thru the cat5 and zap your computer that way. I'm not saying it's gonna happen but YMMV
 
Copper0 said:
That "broadband thing" just means that it has an RG connector on it (like you have on your TV). So let's say lighting hits your house, yes your computer is still protected since it isplugged in to the UPS but the energy can travel down the TV cable into your modem then possibly thru the cat5 and zap your computer that way. I'm not saying it's gonna happen but YMMV
Ethernet connectors. ;)
 
I have this CyberPower one I got from newegg. It has saved my butt several times when we've had power glitches. :)
 
Lethal said:
I have this CyberPower one I got from newegg. It has saved my butt several times when we've had power glitches. :)

I am to, in the market for a UPS. That UPS seems like its a good one, and will get the job done. I just dont get what it means by 410 Watt UPS. Does that mean it only powers a 410 watt power supply or less properly, or what?
 
just be sure to spend the extra few dollars and get the auto-voltage-regulation feature (AVR). Thats the feature that mantains nice tight steady voltages, whereas the non-avr units will not correct sagging voltage from brownouts etc.
 
SJetski71 said:
just be sure to spend the extra few dollars and get the auto-voltage-regulation feature (AVR). Thats the feature that mantains nice tight steady voltages, whereas the non-avr units will not correct sagging voltage from brownouts etc.
Actually, even the cheapest of the APC UPS's (without AVR) will correct for undervoltage (brownouts) & overvoltage,
by switching to batteries. This is annoying & lowers the battery runtime & battery life, so I to recommend getting one with AVR.

This is a good one: ;)

Back-UPS ES 725 Broadband: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE725BB

Available at new egg for $81: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=42-101-127&depa=1
 
Most lightning damage to computers actually occurs through phone lines. Most people put a surge protector on them, which offers at least some protection. On top of that a decent power supply can absorb a harder hit than a modem. Phone lines, OTOH, are much less likely to have decent protection.

I got hit with a phone line surge once. It killed my DSL modem and the old 10 mbit isa ethernet card in the 486 I was using as a router at the time. Strangely enough the external 10 base T transciever (really old school board- had built in coax and an AUI port) survived. After that I picked up a $20 phone line protector at Radio Shack.

I've also experienced that brownout flip to UPS problem. I used to work for a remote control webcam startup, and we were setting up a system at the Chicago Air and Water show. There was a big old fridge on the same circuit, and whenever the compressor kicked on the lights would dim. One of the guys figured that since the power was crappy we'd better put the machine on a UPS. Over the course of a few hours the fridge-related brownouts kill the battery in the UPS and the computer shuts off. We just plugged the computer & monitor into the wall & left the camera on the UPS, which took care of the problem since the power supplies in the comp and monitor were ok with the brownouts. It might not have been good for the computer's PSU, but we were much more concerned about blowing our webcast than frying a cheap low spec Optiplex or two.
 
For $100 - $150, you could get an APC Smart-UPS unti off eBay. Look for APC 1400 - there's plenty of them.
 
why don't you just install a few diesel generators in your basement with power conditioners and keep a few barrels of diesel around. that will last you the 5 minutes and more! :eek: :cool:
 
perplex said:
why don't you just install a few diesel generators in your basement with power conditioners and keep a few barrels of diesel around. that will last you the 5 minutes and more! :eek: :cool:
I know that you are joking,
but in real life we use banks of APC UPS's to cover the 60 to 300 seconds it takes for the generators to kick in. :D
 
Back
Top