Want opinions on PDF reader and XPS.

JonathanJ

Weaksauce
I just installed the Windows 7 RTM trial and I need a PDF reader. Normally I use Foxit but I've heard Adobe Reader has become less unpleasant in the last few years. Does it allow the user to edit metadata within PDF documents? What is the general concensus on PDF readers in [H]F; Do you all prefer Adobe, Foxit, or some other reader?

Also, is there any way to print to XPS without quintupling file size? I like how well XPS files work with Windows Explorer and would like to use them but I don't like upping the file size so dramatically by printing to XPS.

I personally do not like Foxit just because it's full of adware and "buy me" options. If you want to stay with something other than Adobe, Sumatra PDF is a decent product, however, I've had several issues with it opening PDF files that I get from my school. It doesn't seem to be fully compatible with all PDF's and displays them as black pages. The newer versions that claim to of fixed that still have not fixed it as of a month ago.

Adobe Reader 8 and 9 are very good products also, strait from adobe.com. Right now I'm using Adobe 9.1 Lite though, which is just Reader 9.1 with all the updaters and junk stripped out. The only change I had to make was open the reader and uncheck the button to view PDF in browser since obviously being a 'lite' reader, also does not include the browser plug-in. All PDF's you click online just open in the reader rather than browser. I like this the best because you get the Adobe compatibility without the bloat, or the adware of Foxit.

As for XPS, 7 actually includes an XPS reader, rather than opening it in IE like Vista did. I don't care for the XPS format though and prefer PDF. It seems to render better and the readers are much more mature.

http://majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Reader_Lite_d5915.html

Get that, the "lite" version someone created (it's safe, no viruses, no bullshit, and it's MUCH faster than the stock Reader install, faster than it ever dreamed of being).

I've used maybe 15 different reader alternatives: Foxit, Sumatra, etc etc and they all suck in my opinion. Only Acrobat reader itself displays PDF files the way they should be displayed (in my experience). They never fail, they never have issues, and they always look great in Reader, but the competition and the alternatives sometimes - more often than not - just don't do it right.

XPS is what it is, if you need to optimize things, talk to Microsoft because you'll never see any support outside of them for that format, it's all theirs. I've never noticed any particular issues because of resulting file sizes, but then again I don't watch every single page I decide to save as an XPS file instead of printing it to real paper. Guess I could install CutePDF and do a comparison...

/me installs CutePDF to do a comparison of saving as XPS vs PDF using the [H]ardOCP main page for the sample:

Both documents = 8 pages

Test_Print.pdf = 552KB
Test_Print.xps = 1.72MB

So, yeah, it's larger, but who cares... :D

They look exactly the same to me, as expected.

I've used maybe 15 different reader alternatives: Foxit, Sumatra, etc etc and they all suck in my opinion.

Dang you change your mind quick!

01/09
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1384639&highlight=sumatra
Sumatra PDF ftw... tiny, ridiculously fast, portable - it's just one .exe file, that's it.

See, with Sumatra you don't have all that muss and fuss, it's a single .exe and that's it... open source ftw!!! :D

12/08
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1374548&highlight=sumatra
Sumatra PDF ftw...

I test a lot of software, constantly, on a fairly wide variety of platforms so... Sumatra was great for when I used it and for a simple reader that most folks would be able to get some use from, hence the previous recommendations. But it's been quite some time and since that Reader Lite came out it's been my primary PDF reader. It loads pretty damned fast, which is the downside to the regular product direct from Adobe.

They just love bloating their shit, don't they? :)

(and don't even get me started on my other nicknames... DOH!!!)

joes backpeddlin hard hahaha i like.

i still use foxit. the installer sucks- you gotta opt out of everything so you dont get adware, but if you do it right the program installs without any extra crap and always works well ime.

I'll be settling on Adobe Reader 9L, thank guys. And Joe never disappoints, no matter what hour of the day you post he's there. :eek:

I've only had two issues with Sumatra:

1) It slams itself to the top of the screen. An issue if you have your taskbar on the top. Fucking ridiculous design in that respect.
2) Sometimes it messes up spot colors, reverting to a minimized palette. The majority of PDFs don't use spot colors, however. Both RGB and CMYK PDF rendering have been perfect for me so far.

Guess I could install CutePDF and do a comparison...

/me installs CutePDF to do a comparison of saving as XPS vs PDF using the [H]ardOCP main page for the sample:

Both documents = 8 pages

Test_Print.pdf = 552KB
Test_Print.xps = 1.72MB

So, yeah, it's larger, but who cares... :D

They look exactly the same to me, as expected.
Picture perfect, yes, but file sizes can be immense. For example:

Windows Vista Resource Kit - Second Edition
1,647 Pages

PDF = 42.7MB
XPS = 308MB

Back