• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Want Better Sound

fullvietFX

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Messages
2,015
Currently I have the Logitech Z-5300 hooked up to the onboard sound. My Xonar DX2 makes hisses and scratchy noises randomly. The Z-5300 sound fine on the onboard sound though. I'm always tired of the Z-5300 because they give WAY too much bass with the onboard sound and I don't like the sound of it. They sound great with the Xonar DX2 but like it said it's buggy and makes random noises and sometimes doesn't work at all. I was thinking about upgrading to new speakers, I want the Z-5500 because of how easy they would be to set-up with just one coxial cable connected from the speakers to my Xonar DX2. Another problem with the DX2 is that I'm a complete audio newb and the settings intimidate me, leaving me unsure of what to set the settings. What steps should I take to get better sound?

I know this post is kind of a little bit of everywhere, but any help is appreciated. My main goal here is to get better sound quality. Thanks in advance.
 
I don't think the Z-5500s are an upgrade. I've had the Z-560s, Z-680s, and they sounded the same. You have the right plan with using coaxial though. I think you can get a home theater in a box that is better than the Z-5500s at the kind of price most resellers charge for it.
 
If you want better sound, get new speakers. Either :

$140 M-Audio AV40's, or T-amp and Insignia speakers
$170 Swan D1080 MKII '08 version
$220 M-Audio BX5a monitors
$350 a decent HTIB solution (read NOT Sony or Bose)
$400 KRK Rokit 6's, Mackie monitors
Add a subwoofer to any of the above choices for $150-$400

$450 passive speakers, used receiver and subwoofer. (this option is the best bang for the buck and most flexible in my opinion)

Speaker choice depends on budget and intended use. Do not buy Logitech speakers, please. They make great mice & keyboards, but not speakers.
A coaxial cable transmitting signal to crappy speakers still results in crappy sound.
 
Last edited:
If you want better sound, get new speakers. Either :

$140 M-Audio AV40's, or T-amp and Insignia speakers
$170 Swan D1080 MKII '08 version
$220 M-Audio BX5a monitors
$350 a decent HTIB solution (read NOT Sony or Bose)
$400 KRK Rokit 6's, Mackie monitors
Add a subwoofer to any of the above choices for $150-$400

$450 passive speakers, used receiver and subwoofer. (this option is the best bang for the buck and most flexible in my opinion)

Speaker choice depends on budget and intended use. Do not buy Logitech speakers, please. They make great mice & keyboards, but not speakers.
A coaxial cable transmitting signal to crappy speakers still results in crappy sound.


You can also get some Infinity Beta 20's @ ebay for about $100 for the pair, add a receiver, and a sub if you want. I think the Infinity's are ahead of almost all those options you posted if you don't mind the size.
 
Back
Top