Want a clock display for my HTPC!

castun

2[H]4U
OK, so now that the HTPC has been up and running smoothly for a little while, the biggest annoyance that my wife has voiced is that there is now no clock ANYWHERE in our living room. No more cable box and no more DVD player. The clock in WMC of course is only visible when you’re at the menu or guide, and it would be nice to be able to do a quick time check even when the TV is off.

So now, my options…I’ve thought about just getting a cheap alarm clock and putting it where the cable box used to be. Of course, I also wanted something aesthetically pleasing as well as keeping those shelves clear, and a cheap alarm clock definitely wouldn’t help me with either. I used to have one of those Drive Bay Mounted CrystalFontz LCD displays in my old case that was nice for monitoring temps and such, but the problem with them is the only ones they offer with a PC-USB interface are limited to character blocks, and there is a gap between each row of characters. This isn’t ideal either because the text would be so small you couldn’t read it easily from more than a few feet away at most. They do offer some very nice graphic LCD displays (some even look exactly the same except don’t have the gaps between characters), but it seems they’re just not designed to interface with a PC. It may be possible, but it seems it would require designing an intermediate interface board (and interestingly enough, the ones for PC actually come with an interface board already mounted to the back of the display board. Yet they never bothered to design a similar board for the graphics displays? Seems odd…

Has anyone else with an HTPC setup thought of a good solution?

TL;DR: I need a clock for the living room; highly prefer a nice, good looking drive-bay mounted solution.

Got any pics of the case you want the clock display to go into???

This is my case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066&Tpk=antec illusion&IsVirtualParent=1

There are 2 of the 3 optical drive bays available to use.

Thanks, but unfortunately all of those are also character block displays as well.

Might actually just go with that haha...

Many HTPC cases came with software driven LCD displays.
Many of those LCD displays were also available as a 5-1/4 bay accessory.

One that I used in several builds was ThermalTake MediaLAB
I guess these must be discontinued now? That's a shame.
I think I only have 1 left... never got used because it is natural aluminum color.
Guess I should have stocked up on black ones.

EDIT: It looks like there are still versions available direct from SoundGraph

Last edited:
I like the look of those...such a shame these all seem to use character block LCDs as opposed to graphic LCDs.

This might be up my alley actually:

GX24064-WB-BBI.gif

From http://www.matrixorbital.com

And damn, they're Canadian Based. Means I'd get raped on shipping / customs...

I like the look of those...such a shame these all seem to use character block LCDs as opposed to graphic LCDs.

Character block?

These are row/column pixel blocks. Granted they are far from hi-def quality, with gaps between the pixels, but more than adequate for a case display.

I have mine set to display clock mode and the character height set at roughly 1" bold.
I can see the time clearly from my couch, 22 feet away.

What I mean by character block was what you said, there is a gap between each character and row. The height of the characters is what would concern me. Probably visible from my couch too (only 10-12ft distance maybe), but still wanted a full graphic display (which doesn't have any gaps) just so you could fully customize the character height.

Back