WannaCry Ransomware May Be Linked to North Korea

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Experts from Google and Kaspersky are suggesting that the ransomware some of us are tired of hearing about may have ties to North Korea. If I’m understanding this right, the link is based on a version of WannaCry having code that is comparable to that of other software used by an NK-affiliated hacking group, Lazarus. I am not sure how legit this is, though, unless computer code is somehow exclusive to certain parties.

As security researchers investigate last Friday’s massive attack from the WannaCry ransomware, they’ve noticed clues that may link it with a North Korean hacking group that has been blamed for attacking banks across the world. The evidence is far from a smoking gun, and may prove inconclusive. But security researchers have noticed a similarity between an earlier version of WannaCry and a hacking tool used by the Lazarus Group. Both the 2014 Sony Hack and a string of recent banking heists have been tied to the group, which security researchers suspect works for North Korea.

Part of me thinks this is starting to resemble post 9/11 and Iraq. Every thing was their fault to justify invading, but now it's everything is NK's. Not that I agree with either party completely, but KJU isn't wrong when he says that we're bullies. He's not suicidal, he just wants his country to be taken seriously and however this turns out for him, he's doing a great job of making the world at least slightly afraid of them. </flamebait>

Part of me thinks this is starting to resemble post 9/11 and Iraq. Every thing was their fault to justify invading, but now it's everything is NK's. Not that I agree with either party completely, but KJU isn't wrong when he says that we're bullies. He's not suicidal, he just wants his country to be taken seriously and however this turns out for him, he's doing a great job of making the world at least slightly afraid of them. </flamebait>
Been listening to Dennis Rodman?

Been listening to Dennis Rodman?
No. Didn't even realize he was still a thing. I don't get why trump having nukes is any more reasonable than putin or un. It's like if everyone in your neighborhood had guns and disliked everything about you.... You'd want to own a fucking gun too. I don't agree with how the man is treating his people, but are the sanctions we're putting on him helping that? Do I have an answer, fuck no, that's not my line of business. I do think we've been punishing a toddler for too long that only wanted a chance to sit at the big kids table.

Reactions: dgz
like this
No. Didn't even realize he was still a thing. I don't get why trump having nukes is any more reasonable than putin or un. It's like if everyone in your neighborhood had guns and disliked everything about you.... You'd want to own a fucking gun too. I don't agree with how the man is treating his people, but are the sanctions we're putting on him helping that? Do I have an answer, fuck no, that's not my line of business. I do think we've been punishing a toddler for too long that only wanted a chance to sit at the big kids table.

I honestly never thought someone could spin-up sympathy for North Korea. We don't need bombs for NK, we just need to suppress their radar long enough to drop a couple hundred thousand MRE's.......and it's Victory Lap time.

I honestly never thought someone could spin-up sympathy for North Korea. We don't need bombs for NK, we just need to suppress their radar long enough to drop a couple hundred thousand MRE's.......and it's Victory Lap time.
Haha. I don't think they need them, but I feel it's a little hypocritical to force them to stop while we are in a position to launch at the push of a button. Plus many in the regime are following in fear, not because they agree with him.

Do they even have computers and the connection for such a thing? Or an OS aside from their Red Star linux based OS?

He's not suicidal,

No, just Homicidal. Like to the point of killing his family member with a highly toxic nerve agent in a civilian airport or anyone else that opposes him. Not to mention the DAILY propaganda that he spews out to his people to keep them from overthrowing him. I'm sure he's a great Barmitzvah's though & just well misunderstood. :rolleyes:

Reactions: HoffY
like this

Yeah, so the United States developed them first, with the help of the Germans of course, so yeah, we're entitled to have them. MAD. Also, we agreed & so did many other nations that they would not be used or tested any longer. But when you have a man, threatening to destroy you with them, and use them on neighboring countries, defiant on world law. Yeah, he needs to go or be put in his place.

Not to mention the DAILY propaganda that he spews out to his people to keep them from overthrowing him. :rolleyes:

Exactly why treating the entire country as at fault is a little fucked up. Take the man out, sure, but the thought of bombing his country for one person (or a few) is no better than what he is threatening to do.
But when you have a man, threatening to destroy you with them, and use them on neighboring countries

I did not realize he actually directly threatened to use them, so if that's the case, my mistake for being under informed and I am happy to have been corrected. My understanding was just he thought he was being bullied (in his mind) and wanted a fair ability to defend himself against if needed. And again, I was not really saying he should have them, just that our strategy thus far is proving his point and cannot possibly end well.

When I read "Experts from Google and Kaspersky" I stopped reading this tripe. Just like the Russians did this and the Russians did that bullcrap this smells of deep state crap.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Exactly why treating the entire country as at fault is a little fucked up. Take the man out, sure, but the thought of bombing his country for one person (or a few) is no better than what he is threatening to do.

I haven't heard anyone say that we should bomb the entire country, that's insane. But taking him and his military staff or his nuclear capabilities out would do a lot of good and free his people, those that aren't too far gone with brainwashing that is. I guess it would be far different if he were developing a nuclear program for energy purposes but that's not the case.

Fun fact: The Korean War never officially ended. Only a "Truce" was declared.

Last edited:
I feel like there are three solutions to the DPKR problem, really two solutions backed up by a firm ultimatum if they continue this dangerous saber rattling. I'm still amazed that people seem unfazed by their use of VX Nerve toxin in a foreign nation and in a public place, it could have been insanely bad. The DPKR leadership is wholly and completely unstable, unhinged and dangerous.

1. Offer to have them join the international community.

2. Offer to leave them be as a hermit kingdom.

OR failing those two:

3. Wipe them (leadership, etc) out, accepting there will be collateral damage to the tune of trillions of dollars and millions of lives, but it will be less than staying the current course until they first strike the rest of the world, catching us flat footed.

Well, considering how weak an ineffectual WannaCry was, it wouldn't be surprising if it came out of NK. Just look at their history of missile tests - many of which never made it off the ground. They aren't exactly known for their technical ability, but they sure to try!

The US had nukes before North Korea was the DPRK and while we were still actively at war with them. Why in fuck anyone would think we have more cause now then at any previous time to use them is ..... (insert unflattering word here).

Keep in mind that the "toddler" may want to sit at the big kids table but he refuses to grow up as well. North Korea refuses to negotiate directly with the US, repeatedly attacks South Korea causing deaths any time South Korea sees some good press in the world, hosts a world event, whatever, some South Korean citizens will die every time. And any time this toddler doesn't get their way they attack the very measures that have been built to try and foster peace and reduce tensions.

And none of us should ever completely forget that the UN and North Korea are actually still at War with each other, even though in some bizarre twist, North Korea was admitted into the UN itself.

So, the UN is at war ..... with itself sort of.

And you know, North Korea did come out several times and state that they are no longer bound by the peace accords that ended open hostilities in '54 so legally, it's back on if anyone wants to start throwing punches again.

Back