Wanna Upgrade, should i consider skylake?

a3venom

Gawd
I have a measly i3 although its fine for most games, i want to build a nice setup in my room with an expensive big ass TV + a couple more 27 inch monitors.
Also gonna get a neat little case like the Raidmaxx hyperion.
I don't think i will go 4k though, as i don't see the point at all.
I have a 290 that runs at 1025 /1500 nicely.
Here in Calgary, Canada
I can find Used - 4670ks for 200$
4770ks for 300 or 400 with a mobo
the 3rd gen ones at 150 - 200 for i5 (unlocked) and 100 more for i7(unlocked again)

No problem buying used cause most shit comes with wty, people love their in store wtys here.

So my question is, should i consider skylake for long term?
it costs 320 for the new i5 unlocked and like 200$ for a decent mobo.
Will have to buy new ram too since it is ddr4.

thoughts?

I am thinking older i7 because i wanna do WoW on one screen, Dota on the other, spotify / youtube on 3rd. Can a 4.4 GHz i5 run that kinda shit?

As a fellow Calgarian, there are zero Skylake CPUs available. I'm in a holding pattern with a 6700k preordered from MemEx.

I'm waiting for Skylake more for the platform than the processor, although I'm coming from a Phenom II X2 555 so pretty much anything will be a massive upgrade for me. More interesting is the PCIe 3.0 x4 m.2 NVMe support, as well as other goodies like USB 3.1.

If you already have a haswell compatible motherboard ready to go, upgrading to a faster haswell or devil's canyon chip is a no-brainer.

You could go skylake. There are infact a few boards that will run using DDR3, but if you are doing this for future-proofing reasons, you really should go with DDR4 IMO.

World of Warcraft only effectively uses a few cores, but it is extremely CPU limited within that context. Per-core CPU performance is more important than anything when it comes to WoW. Skylake is the best in that regard, but a fast Haswell or Devil's Canyon certainly won't be far behind.

If you already have a haswell compatible motherboard ready to go, upgrading to a faster haswell or devil's canyon chip is a no-brainer.

You could go skylake. There are infact a few boards that will run using DDR3, but if you are doing this for future-proofing reasons, you really should go with DDR4 IMO.

World of Warcraft only effectively uses a few cores, but it is extremely CPU limited within that context. Per-core CPU performance is more important than anything when it comes to WoW. Skylake is the best in that regard, but a fast Haswell or Devil's Canyon certainly won't be far behind.

Skylake i5 would be worth it over haswell / 3rd Gen i7 ? they will cost the same to me.

I would just buy a 4790K and done.. high clock out of the box and HT enough to Multi-task anything you want. also you will receive overall better performance for every game (specially newer ones)..

Generally I5 is best for gaming, I7 net offering much additional usefulness. But I've never owned an I7. Your particular case I do not know.
Used 4670K appeals to the cheapness in me. OTOH maximizing what you have with a 4770K and motherboard (I3 for spare or sale) would also be good.

I believe Gigabyte is running a motherboard and Skylake promotion in USA featuring free Alvira? RAM. May be available to you.

Skylake i5 would be worth it over haswell / 3rd Gen i7 ? they will cost the same to me.

Skylake will require a new motherboard and DDR4 (unless you buy one of the few DDR3 boards).

Are you able to make use of your existing motherboard, and put in a faster Haswell quad, or not? That would swing the cost one way or the other pretty dramatically.

If you are looking at a new motherboard anyway, then you might as well go skylake.

If ur getting new mobo, skylake makes more sense as a cpl people have already said...so add my vote to that...if not, grab an i5...if ur going to overclock, get the k, otherwise save a little scratch...
Anytime i see a build with a raidmax case, i cringe...they never have and still arent the best at qc with their products...ive seen a cpl reviews where the built in dust filters were poorly executed, loose fitting hdd and odd cages...on that particular case to boot...that top panel is a headache waiting to happen, i promise u...ive used those cases in a few builds in the past...none of them lasted more than 6 months before something had to be replaced...or simply returned for a different brand

My 2 cents

Edit..
I personally just purchased a fractal design node 804...amazing build quality

Out of the options that you have, I would just pick up the 4670k and roll with it. It's a great CPU and if the i3 is fine for most things you do the 4670k is going to more than enough for what you do.

Im not real convinced of the value added for the cost tbh...im looking at the i3 4170 vs waiting for skylake...for games and what i do, there is no value in simply upgrading to an i5

If ur getting new mobo, skylake makes more sense as a cpl people have already said...so add my vote to that...if not, grab an i5...if ur going to overclock, get the k, otherwise save a little scratch...
Anytime i see a build with a raidmax case, i cringe...they never have and still arent the best at qc with their products...ive seen a cpl reviews where the built in dust filters were poorly executed, loose fitting hdd and odd cages...on that particular case to boot...that top panel is a headache waiting to happen, i promise u...ive used those cases in a few builds in the past...none of them lasted more than 6 months before something had to be replaced...or simply returned for a different brand

My 2 cents

Edit..
I personally just purchased a fractal design node 804...amazing build quality

You're right i3 to i5 might be hardly noticeable in gaming.
And i own a raidmaxx case right now and it sucks, but the Hyperion just looks so good.

I mean i can easily try to grab a (used) 3770k + Mobo for $350, that will be like half the cost of 6600k+mobo.

When i bought my PC, i didnt really realize how good the older gen K chips were, and didn't trust used hardware. Now I have much more knowledge.

Just be aware that if you buy an older system like 3770k, you're going to find quality replacements harder and harder to come by, just like x58 motherboards are today. That's important, since you don't know how long a used motherboard will last you, and if you make the investment you'll likely want tio fix rather than all-out replace.

Again, why don't you just buy a 4790k to put in your current board? IT costs you the same as the used 3770k setup, comes pre-overclocked, and you get a warranty!

i thought these use a kind of ddr3 ram that is quite uncommon so you can't re-use what you got in your old pc.

It's primarily a voltage issue, and apparently it's possible for motherboard makers to work around that issue.

Example:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-P-D3/specifications/

ASUS said:
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3 3100(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

Back