WAN Backup Plan?

WhatTheSchmidt

Limp Gawd
We have a couple hotspots right now but this isn't the most ideal backup I would think. I am looking for a backup to Comcast if that service drops out. This is for a small business of about 30 computers or so total, spread over 11,000 square feet. This would be 4-5 hotspots deployed near the clusters of computers.

Ideally we would have a backup ISP with WAN Failover (I have Untangle setup to run everything, bridge mode, not as a router). This is too expensive to maintain though.

Would deploying the hotspots be about the best option? Is there a way to deploy the hotspots onto the network instead of them being their own thing? (I'm guessing no to this - especially since the hotspots have a limit of 8 devices each).

Ideally we would have a backup ISP with WAN Failover (I have Untangle setup to run everything, bridge mode, not as a router). This is too expensive to maintain though.

This is the only correct way to do this. Anything else would be rife with issues. The only cost here would a separate ISP bill which based on what you have posted won't be that much. Otherwise, do you plan on 4 or 5 firewalls ie one for each hotspot? How do you plan on failover to the hotspot? Failback? How are these hotspots connected? How much is the monthly service for each? If you need a backup then do it right. Also, stop bridging. There should be a logical layer 3 separation between your network and the Internet.

why don't you just connect your router to one of the hotspots?

i'm assuming you're talking about some sort of cellular service hotspot

As others have said, one of 2 options.
1) Get a router/firewall capable of managing multiple internet connections, i.e. failover/failback.
2) Get a router with an integrated 3g/4G radio that will accept a standard internet connection, like a Cradlepoint. Those will inherently support failover/back.

I typically use Fortigates for most of my clients and either Their Cellular modem for backup or a Cradlepoint 600/650 setup in bridge mode. For smaller clients that demand backup internet connection, I use a Cradlepoint MBR1200B and a USB Radio provided by their carier of choice.

The best is going to be a backup DSL connection of course. Or at least a connection that is totally different than what you currently have.
But, a lot of our clients have the kind of setup that Nate7311 talks about. A wireless connection that only kicks in if the primary goes down.

Back