Walmart "Magic Eraser" saves LCD screen from Child's black-ink Pen

Zak

Limp Gawd
Some cop posted this Note on a Police e-mail bulletin.
Since this is an LCD forum, it might be of interest here.
I've never used the guy's "method" so I have no opinion.
Here's what it said (edited)......

"CLEANING LCD SCREEN":
Last week I woke up from nap to find my 3 yr old had found a "Sharpie Permanent Marker" pen on my desk and used my laptop LCD screen for a drawing board.
I went to several places that sell computers and they could not tell me how to remove these black marks without damaging the screen.
I mentioned the problem at the Doctor' office, and receptionist said, "try the 'Magic Eraser' made by Mr. Clean, sold at WalMart".
Following the instructions, I wet a small part of the sponge-like "Eraser" ----and using single, straight, gentle-strokes, I found to my surprise the black marks disappeared.
I do NOT recommend this for "general LCD cleaning" because there are many products already available.
(note: I tried a couple of those products: they did not remove my ink marks).
Summary: If you experience a very-difficult mark/stain on your PC or TV LCD screen, you might want to try "Magic Eraser" [Source: xxxx xxx 10 July 07]

Another cure: Dry erase markers. Draw over the permanent marker ink with a dry erase marker then when you wipe it off the permanent marker is lifted off as well. Clean with a regular LCD cleaning solution and microfiber cloth after.

Interesting... would have thought it would scratch the screen. It does contain an abrasive, because I know you can't use it on wood, it will take the finish right off.

Right from their website:
Not recommended for use on surfaces that are polished/glossy, or on brushed, satin, dark, or faux finishes. Do not use with chlorine bleach.

Regular hairspray takes off "permanent" markers too. I have no idea what it may do to an LCD screen though. I suppose rubbing alcohol would too.

It may have worked but it probably took some of the anti-glare screen coating with it..

Why would you ever think to use Goo Gone on an LCD!? :eek:
I like my monitors working thank you very much...

Interesting... would have thought it would scratch the screen. It does contain an abrasive, because I know you can't use it on wood, it will take the finish right off.
Right from their website:
Not recommended for use on surfaces that are polished/glossy, or on brushed, satin, dark, or faux finishes. Do not use with chlorine bleach.
Which post are u answering?

I remember back in highschool we had this marketing project where we had to talk about a certain product. One of the girls did hers on the Magic Eraser. We were all in a class and she pulls out this permanent marker and starts coloring all over the wall. Already I'm thinkin' "oh sh!t". Well, guess what? It didn't work. :D

Question, was it on a glossy screen or not? Seems like it wouldn't be to bad if this was the case, but a normal LCD seems pretty tough.

Thanks for the tip though! Definitely keep that in mind!

I remember back in highschool we had this marketing project where we had to talk about a certain product. One of the girls did hers on the Magic Eraser. We were all in a class and she pulls out this permanent marker and starts coloring all over the wall. Already I'm thinkin' "oh sh!t". Well, guess what? It didn't work. :D

Hahaha awesome. Well not for her. Or the school. :D

well i know rubbing alchole can get rid of permanent marker when written to a cd so it might be able to get rid from the screen but not sure the damage it might cause.

The foam itself is an abrasive. It's melamine foam, an open-cell foam that is unbelievably tough at the microscopic level. Good stuff, but hardly strong enough to damage most AR coatings.

Plain old Ethanol (EtOH, Ethyl Alcohol, CH3CH2OH, however you term it, it gets you drunk) is all that is needed to remove 'sharpie permanent markers'. We use 95% EtOH at work every day to clean our labels off the glassware we use, I can tell you with 100% confidence that Ethanol will in no way shape or form destroy the screen, or the anti-glare coating. The glassware I work with is MUCH more sensitive then an LCD screen (i'm a structural biochemist), and ethanol is the standard solvent used to clean off marker :).

And for those of you who havn't clued on yet, Ethanol is ALCOHOL (the same alcohol that gets you drunk, from beer to vodka, to ... well you get the picture). You can obtain 95% Ethanol from any liquor store, the brand name is Everclear, and its a neutral grain spirit (aka the only molecules in Everclear are Ethanol, and Water).

Just my two cents :)

Its just a shame that there are so many retards out there that since they can't really taste it, they think its weak alcohol (in jello shooters primarily), and then they subsequently die of alcohol poisoning .... thats why Everclear is illegal in my country (Canada) :(. But most liquor stores will still order you a case if you ask the manager ... GO CORRUPTION AND GREED!!

Back