Wallet of Choice

ReCOde

Limp Gawd
What is your wallet of choice for storing your precious bitcoins?

I use CoinBase... I really like that they have an API ready for developers to use.

How about you? Likes, dislikes?

CoinBase for me. Simple to use and manage, plus 1% fees are reasonable. No complaints with coin base.

Core client/cold storage with backup wallet files on disks and thumb drives. Honestly after mt gox you should never trust a third party to hold your bitcoins, even if it is a big name like coinbase.

Core client/cold storage with backup wallet files on disks and thumb drives. Honestly after mt gox you should never trust a third party to hold your bitcoins, even if it is a big name like coinbase.

this i lost like 50 btc back in the day on a online one didn't care much at the time as it was only like $50 in coins i also put it on a usb drive along with instructions on how my wife can get them and sell them should something happen to me

Wallet type: Biker, leather, three-pocket.

assorted_black_ha_leather_steel_chain_biker_wallets.jpg

When used to carry both cash and plastic, I can be serviced anywhere on the planet.

And, when someone tries to rob me, the chain's useful for choking them the fuck out.

Another vote for Electrum.

As stated, buy your coins at Coinbase or Circle (if you choose) but do not keep them there as a wallet...

Another vote for Electrum.

As stated, buy your coins at Coinbase or Circle (if you choose) but do not keep them there as a wallet...

What reasons for your preference of Electrum over the others? So far I have only used Coinbase, but have just been getting started..

What reasons for your preference of Electrum over the others? So far I have only used Coinbase, but have just been getting started..

Unlike keeping them on Coinbase which is an exchange, you actually have them in your possession with Electrum. Further, Electrum is an SPV wallet so you don't need to worry about the size of the blockchain stored locally. On top of that, having a seed to restore your wallet is a great feature in case you forget your password to your local wallet file. It also integrates with a trezor nicely.

Are any of these wallets purely online yet safe? Electrum appears to require a download and will store the bitcoins on my computer... which of course could fail. Plus downloading software, bah.

I've considered getting into bitcoin for years since I heard about it, but I've never run across a means of using them that seemed even 20% as straightforward/easy as, say, using paypal. Or a bank. Or other things with cash.

I can say Coinbase had this bug on their iOS app where I scanned a QR code and it hit my account twice - they knew about it, and credited my funds back even though the merchant (in this case Uploaded.net) should've recognized I paid them twice. They claimed it was the same payment and that it was Coinbase's software showing the issue, but we all know that you can audit and see that wasn't the case...

Is coin base usable if you live in a country other than a 1st world country? For example any country in side Africa, this is mostly a forgotten part of the world.

Is coin base usable if you live in a country other than a 1st world country? For example any country in side Africa, this is mostly a forgotten part of the world.
i wouldnt recomend it. they screw you over when selling coins. i would look int other extanges as many contrys dont have the same tx restrictions making it easyer for companys to pay you. see if kraken works for where you are as they are the nicest when it comes to rates.

i wouldnt recomend it. they screw you over when selling coins. i would look int other extanges as many contrys dont have the same tx restrictions making it easyer for companys to pay you. see if kraken works for where you are as they are the nicest when it comes to rates.
hey wait, so u would not recommend offline wallet?
or u saying dont use luno.com? have u experienced them?

I wanted to understand if I install Bitcoin Core ; Feather Coin ; LiteCoin , all those wallets... which i have synched.... is this the same as having an account at Luno.com where Luno gives me an incoming Bitcoin address?

Back