Wall Plate

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
When putting in a ethernet plate into the wall

Pic

Can I just punch a hole anywhere in the dry wall or do I need tg do it behind a stud so I can mount the plate? I don't know where to start so thanks for any help.

For low voltage signal cables, there are open-backed half-sized boxes that you can place in the wall so that you don't have to mount to a stud. You can also use regular boxes I suppose. Your best bet would probably be to go to a hardware store and tell someone there what you are doing, and he should be able to tell you(and show you) exactly what you will need to do.

Look here, about half way down, SC100R. That is basically what I am talking about. Just cut out a hole in the sheetrock and mount that box in there. Then attach your wall plate to the box.

I see what you're talking about but how do I get that installed behind the drywall?

Pic

I was just planning on pinching a hold through the drywall and then putting it where ever.

Not that one. Look a bit lower on the page - under "For Existing Construction". Item SC100R (After Sheetrock). With that one you can just cut a hole in your sheetrock and put the box in. Insert the box, turn the screws, and the little wings swing out and hold the box in.

edit: this is from a different site, but it is the box I am talking about. http://smarthome.com/images/2552_big.jpg

Just to point out something else.......

You need a decent mounting point for the faceplate screws to hold onto, I've seen installations where the faceplate was screwed directly into the sheetrock. Needless to say, it doesn't hold well after a period of time.

I prefer to use fully enclosed "old work" boxes instead of the frames, this way if I need remove that plate, I don't have to deal with any insulation, dust, or other particles when working. Not to mention it keeps the back of the connections nice and clean. ;)

Back