Wall mounting router

For light devices I'll typically use those (or the compression-type plastic fittings, don't really care for those tho). For heavier equipment, toggle bolts and if there's a stud available, screws into that.

I have always mounted a piece of 3/4 ply to the wall. Recently i only had one stud to mount the ply too so i got out the liquid nails for the side without a stud. With the plywood you can mount, unmount gear in any way when adding of removing gear.

I'd recommend the Plywood method of mounting myself.

Some offsets to keep the panel off the wall, 4-6 screws into studs and you're good.

Rather than 4 holes PER DEVICE, fucking up a sheetrock wall.

Good ideas, thanks all!

I thought of the ply wood idea at first too, but thought it wouldn't look that good(lol). Then after you guys mentioned about the holes, you're right. As it'll be 4 devices for me. Cable modem, router, switch, and wireless AP.

Thing is, if you're going with the plywood method, you mount it in a back room.
Wall-mounting hardware is seldom something you want out in open view.

Thing is, if you're going with the plywood method, you mount it in a back room.
Wall-mounting hardware is seldom something you want out in open view.

It will be in the closet

We like using the StarTech 2U Vertical Racks to hang switches, routers, UPS, servers, etc from when we need to wall mount items. I still agree with the plywood screwed into wall studs, but it shouldn't be removed anytime soon so who cares about holes?

We usually paint the plywood black or white if it's going to be somewhat visible. Makes it look a little less "plywood-y".

I usually just grab the pre-primed plywood from home depot and go to town. Cut, roll some white paint on it, hang it and done.

The pre-primed plywood makes it a single coat affair and it actually hides some of the texture.

Plywood is what I always see in commercial environments and the pre-primed painted plywood should look quite nice in a closet.

Hmm, it's probably more expensive, but I kinda like the pegboard option like this. Being able to add/remove components with zipties and velcro strips seems handy. Add a couple hooks placed here and there for hanging a few other items (extra cables, tools, etc.).

A pegboard might end up being cheaper. Plywood isn't too cheap these days and the more 'finishable' types cost more.

Back