Wal Mart Acer Laptop

Cold Dark Shadow

[H]F Junkie
I picked up one of the $348 Acers from WalMart today and was curious if any one else had and if it came with any software liek i recovery disk or anything cause mione didnt so just wondering if it was just shipped that way? Every other laptop ive bought came with some kind of media lol

They stopped shipping those disks out with a lot of laptops it seems. I have always seen a desktop or start menu shortcut that will let you create that media. Some computers I have opened it prompts you to create the disks the first time you boot up and setup everything.

Just another way to cut production costs, my dell came with CDs to restore OS, Drivers and software, and the media direct partition.

Yeah you have to make your own disks.. It take 9 CD-R's though.. I'm thinking of just putting XP on mine.. You can go to aser's website and get all the drivers.

Does this model have a dvd burner? My acer let me write to two of those instead of a stack of CDs.

i havent fired it up yet, I was thinking about goin to XP as well instead of sticking with Vista home basic

use the empowering technology program and then to recovery. I just deleted all the software i didn't want on a fresh install and made a backup of it.. Yet I haven't made the disks yet.

If the HDD isn't completely shot you can always recover by clicking ALT + F10.

That boots into the recovery partition and from there you can recover you machine with no worries.

Only negative thing is if your HDD is physically damaged there goes the recovery partition with it.

Question
i burnt the facory recovery CDs
To use them, do you wipe out the hdd and pop disk one in and itll reload Vista and what not?

You shouldn't have to wipe the HD. Just put in the first disc and it should boot into some sort of wizard to restore the PC to factory defaults.

I was just askin in case i wanted to wipe it out

I tried just to pop the first disk in but it doesnt do anyhting thing

Back