Waking from Hibernation Failure

NDPTAL85

n00b
I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 with 512mb of RAM, and a brand new Toshiba 60gb 16mb cache 5400rpm hd. My OS is Win XP Pro. This issue occoured under my old HD as well.

I often get a blue screen when attempting to resume the laptop from hibernation. It usually occurs when I had a bunch of stuff open and loaded when the hibernation was started. I have no idea what the problem could be. Are there any utilities out there can diagnose hibernation issues under Win XP Pro? Are there any programs out there that do a better job of hibernation thatn Windows built in software?

Thank you for all your help.

When it blue screens, what is the stop error code? I realize you likely don't have that handy right now, but the next time it happens write it down. It could help tremendously in finding the problem.
Since you said it seems to happen more when lots of things are open, my best guess so far is it is could be a RAM issue.

I'll try to write it down. This issue has only started to appear recently. I've had this ram in for over two years. Plus if I never hibernate or shutdown I can achieve indefinite uptime so its not as if the system is unstable. Right now I'm going to try deleting the hibernation file and switching the order my RAM is in (they're identical chips so this shouldn't do much bad/good) and see if it helps.

Ok I told XP to not reboot after a blue screen so I was able to write it down. Here it is:

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xF8394ED0)

NDIS.sys - Address F8394ED0 base at F8391000, Datestamp 41107ec3

So can anyone figure that out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well, here's a start:
MS Knowledge base

Do you use Sygate personal firewall? Do you have SP2?

[edit] Another thing, NDIS stands for Network Driver Interface Specification, which is the connector between windows and the network-card driver. Are you using USB to connect to your cable modem? If so, you might try updating the driver for the modem.
If not, you might try updating the driver for your NIC. I've read that has helped a couple people.

I have SP2 but no Sygate products. I have an Xterasys 802.11g card that I had been using older drivers for. I just checked as you recommended and found updated drivers. Hopefully this will work. I'm at my wits end here. Do you know if letting Windows run the card or using the manufacturers drivers is best??

No luck with the BSOD issue. I have installed and used the new updated drivers for my card and I still get the BSOD on wakeup from hibernation. I am going to try removing the card before waking my laptop and see how that goes.

Other than that any other suggestions?

Thanks

when you go into hibernation does it take it a long time to go into hibernation?
or does it go quickly?

It usually always goes into hibernation the same amount of time. Like around a minute of time.

Just a shot, maybe your hyberfil.sys file is corrupt.
Try disabling the hybernation
Got this from techbriefs:
DELETE HIBERFIL.SYS BEFORE DEFRAGMENTING

If you use the Windows XP's Hibernation feature on your laptop, you may
want to delete the Hiberfil.sys file from the hard disk before
defragmenting. When you put your computer in hibernation, Windows XP
writes all memory content to the Hiberfil.sys file before shutting down
the system. Then, when you turn your computer back on, the OS uses the
Hiberfil.sys file to put everything back into memory, and the computer
resumes where it left off. However, Windows XP leaves the Hiberfil.sys
file on the hard disk, even though it's no longer needed.

The Hiberfil.sys file, which can be very large, is a special system
file that Disk Defragmenter cannot defragment. Therefore, the presence
of the Hiberfil.sys file will prevent Disk Defragmenter from performing
a thorough defragmenting operation.

Follow these steps to remove the Hiberfil.sys file from the hard disk:

1. Access the Control Panel and double-click Power Options.
2. Select the Hibernate tab in the Power Options Properties dialog box.
3. Clear the Enable Hibernation check box and click OK.

As soon as you clear the check box, Windows XP automatically deletes
the Hiberfil.sys file from the hard disk. Once you complete the defrag
operation, you can re-enable the Hibernation feature.

Good luck

I know this might not be very helpful, but try disabling any network devices you have and trying to resume from hibernation. If the error still occurs, it's most likely to be a firewall/protocol stack problem. If the problem stops, I would consider finding new or older network card drivers to see if the problem goes away. If it doesnt, try a different network device?

Hope this helps.

Steve

the problem has been hapening since before the install of SP2?

you might consider uninstalling all the network devices then rebooting and reinstalling them

I have tried both Stevo's and tiebird's suggestions. I thought that waking from hibernate without the card in would help but this morning instead of the usuall BSOD I just got a frozen screen. Windows itself says after a reboot that it was a device driver but that it can't get anymore specific than that. I am going to try a Dell True Mobile wireless NIC instead of this XTerasys card.

Also could a dead or near dead mobo battery have anything to do with this? And how do I tell if the mobo battery is dead or not?

Update: I have noticed that the wakeup failure usually occurs after the laptop goes into a self induced low battery hibernation. I have mine set to go into hibernation when it reaches 1% battery power and I have two batteries.

tiebird, I only went wireless very recently so I don't know if the problem existed pre-SP2 or not.

I wouldnt think its a low mobo battery problem as the BIOS would just tell u its going dead.

Maybe your laptop gets unstable when there is a lack of power? I know putting a new battery in shouldn't affect this but it's quite possible that corruption has occured because of this?

what happens if you put the laptop into hibernation without the network card in it
(uninstall the network card drivers as well)

tiebird, I dunno. It takes a full days of use to bring about the problem in the first place. Its not like I can just spontaneously cause it to occur. I have to have a lot of stuff open when it goes into hibernate and some time for the laptop to seemingly cool down because if I resume it right after putting it into hibernation it will function fine.

Someone over at notebookforums.com suggested I raise my hibernation trigger from 1% power to something higher. I am reluctant to do this since I like to get the most out of my batteries but I've put it from 1% to 3% to see how that goes. And since I have 2 batteries whatever I have it at is effectively doubled anyway...but I'll give it a shot.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with waking from hibernation. I know it's got something to do the that 16mb cache toshiba hard drive. I had no problems with hibernation before I upgraded to the new hard driver. I have swapped out to the old drive and the problem disappears. I have figure out that, if I tell windows to disable the disk cache, hibernation works perfect (just REALLY slow). I think windows is powering off my notebook before the drives on-board cache is finished writing to the disk. Does anyone know how to delay the power-off or somehow jumper the drive to use less cache? :confused:

I bought a new wifi card and that seemed to solve all the issues. I can now reliably resume from hibernation without fear of a blue screen. Its not perfect however as every other month or so it will fail to wake from hibernation and will simply reboot but I'm not blaming that on the wifi card.

Sorry you are still having problems.

On another note, my new toshiba 16mb cache 60gig HD that you seem to have just as I do just crashed a few weeks ago. I was able to restore from a backup and reformat the drive and it is working fine so far. I knew I should have been suspicious when I saw that the warranty for the 16mb cache drives is only 1 year while all other HD's have 3 year warranties.

Why can't people just make stuff that works?

NDPTAL85 said:
Why can't people just make stuff that works?
because doing so requires either extranious production and excess testing, more expensive inputs. Both of which cost extra.

max8061 said:
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with waking from hibernation. I know it's got something to do the that 16mb cache toshiba hard drive. I had no problems with hibernation before I upgraded to the new hard driver. I have swapped out to the old drive and the problem disappears. I have figure out that, if I tell windows to disable the disk cache, hibernation works perfect (just REALLY slow). I think windows is powering off my notebook before the drives on-board cache is finished writing to the disk. Does anyone know how to delay the power-off or somehow jumper the drive to use less cache? :confused:

send me your drive and ill reduce the cache and send it back to you, just so you know there may be different files on there than when you sent it out, thats normal, just format it and everything will be fine :p

Loki008 said:
send me your drive and ill reduce the cache and send it back to you, just so you know there may be different files on there than when you sent it out, thats normal, just format it and everything will be fine :p

Ummm... No.

Back