Wake on Lan

azn712

Limp Gawd
I am in school right now. I have a desktop in my dorm and a laptop with me when i got to class. I dont like to keep my computer on all the time. Is there a way for me to wake up my computer on lan without messing with router settings?

thanks

yes, you can. However it depends on several things.

1st being to find out if your school will allow WOL packets through routers. Where I work, they're blocked.

2 - what type of Wake Up packet does your computer accept?

If the schools routers block WOL packets, one way to get around this is to generate a simple program to ping around the subnet your machine is on, find a suitable host and replicate a subscript there to send the wake up packet. This is in essence like a virus replicating itself out, only not for malicious purposes, and you'll want to clean up all remnants of the replicated script.

You'll need the MAC address for the wake up packet as well. When I wrote some software for where I worked to accomplish this, the type of packet was the standard WOL packet which consisted of a single packet containing the MAC Address repeated 6 times. I haven't messed with this in a few years, but I some of the other WOL packet types may be a bit different.

Probably not easily, your dorm is probably not on the same network as other places on campus. Some computers can be set to turn on after the phone rings 12 times, though, so you'd just have to connect your phoneline through your modem (if it supports that), and call your room and let it ring for a minute. (note: many computers don't do this; you might not have a regular phone line; you might not have a moden; you might have voicemail that picks up instead)

Optimal solution: Get a roommate who is always in there and have them turn it on when you call them.

what you could also do is setup the auto-turn on feature in bios if it exists. Most newer boards I've seen do support that.

i considered auto-turn on but it probably would be the same thing as keep my machine running all the time.

@nst6563
do you know how i can test whether the network allows me to send WOL packets?

and how do i test what kind WOL packets are allowed on the network.

thanks

the easiest way to do it is to enable the WOL support in your bios, then use one of the online utilities to try and wake it like http://www.dslreports.com/wakeup. That way you don't have to download and setup a WOL script on your laptop.

^^ What he said, there are some free WOL utilities. But to find out what packet type your NIC supports, it will usually say in the driver properties. For the utilities though, you'll need your MAC address.

a side-effect of using WOL is that it is sent out via Broadcast, so every machine gets it, and anyone with sniffers running will pick it up and have your MAC address. So there are some potential security issues involved (which is why the packets aren't routable where I work).

The way I handle Wake On LAN is that I have an administrative account on my router in my dorm (which my desktop is behind). When I need to turn on the desktop I can log into the router remotely and then using the Tomato firmware that is installed I can send out the WakeOn Lan packet with one click in the GUI.

^^ What he said, there are some free WOL utilities. But to find out what packet type your NIC supports, it will usually say in the driver properties. For the utilities though, you'll need your MAC address.

a side-effect of using WOL is that it is sent out via Broadcast, so every machine gets it, and anyone with sniffers running will pick it up and have your MAC address. So there are some potential security issues involved (which is why the packets aren't routable where I work).
Knowing a MAC address isn't a security issue, hell just arp -a and you can get a list of every MAC your machine has talked to recently. If some one is sniffing though they could also send the WOL packet and turn on your computers at random...

Back