Waiting really stinks

bernaby

Limp Gawd
Pardon me up front for the rant but.......
I'm all set to buy a new card to replace my 6970 with a 7970 when the 290/x series is announced by AMD along with Mantle. The cards finally get released for review and they perform great but are noisier than I can accept. Okay, lets wait for AIB cards. Then NVidia drops the price on their cards and comes out with the 780 Ti. Excellent cards, cool and quiet, but expensive. And what about Mantle? If I get a 780 Ti and Mantle really does alter the landscape then I'm screwed. Took me a year to save the money for this upgrade and whatever I buy I'm going to have to live with for at least two years. I'm feeling frustrated as hell. Got the money to buy either a red or a green top of the line card right now but am being forced to wait for AMD to get off their duff and release the Mantle patch for BF4 so we can see what it does, and hey AIB's, how about some non reference 290/x? I'VE GOT MONEY TO SPEND ON YOUR GOODIES.....GET A MOVE ON PLEASE!!!!

If money is tight why even bother with a top tier card? You're running 1080p anyway right? I'd just get a gtx 680/gtx 770 for $230 to $280 off the F/S forums. Even a gtx 680 is a noticeable 45% to 48% performance boost over what you have. Save the $300 to $400 to see what mantle or g-sync brings next year. The gtx 680/770 will still be worth $150 to $200 + $350 to spend on maxwell, an aftermarket radeon card (with a price tag that isn't being pumped up by miners) or possibly a g-sync monitor.

You're gonna be spending $499 minimum on the AIB 290's... So does Nvidia still look expensive?
There are 780's below $499 now.

I know waiting sucks... But you've just gotta make a choice and stick to it. If you wait, you will wait forever. There is always something good around the corner.

If you waited for 780, 290x was just around the corner. If you waited for 290x, 780ti was just around the corner. If you wait for 290x AIB, Maxwell is just around the corner.

I just bought at 4770k, could have waited for Broadwell, but then by the time it comes, something better will be coming soon.

Make a choice, try to be happy with it and forget the greener grass mentality

If money is tight why even bother with a top tier card? You're running 1080p anyway right? I'd just get a gtx 680/gtx 770 for $230 to $280 off the F/S forums. Even a gtx 680 is a noticeable 45% to 48% performance boost over what you have. Save the $300 to $400 to see what mantle or g-sync brings next year. The gtx 680/770 will still be worth $150 to $200 + $350 to spend on maxwell, an aftermarket radeon card (with a price tag that isn't being pumped up by miners) or possibly a g-sync monitor.

Back in August I was looking at the 770's and the 7970ghz. When the 290's came out and NVidia dropped their pricing the higher tier cards became possible for my budget. I want a top tier card now because I won't be able to update for again at least two years, so I want something that will still be able to handle future games at reasonably high settings down the road. And who knows, there might be a 2560 x 1440 monitor down the line.....

Oh, and the reason why I have to wait a few years to replace components is because I'm married and the wife blows a gasket whenever I update my computer. If I buy a card now she would never put up with me buying another a year later.

Back in August I was looking at the 770's and the 7970ghz. When the 290's came out and NVidia dropped their pricing the higher tier cards became possible for my budget. I want a top tier card now because I won't be able to update for again at least two years, so I want something that will still be able to handle future games at reasonably high settings down the road. And who knows, there might be a 2560 x 1440 monitor down the line.....

Oh, and the reason why I have to wait a few years to replace components is because I'm married and the wife blows a gasket whenever I update my computer. If I buy a card now she would never put up with me buying another a year later.

Looks like the wife needs an update, not your rig.

Don't get me wrong, she is an easy person to get along with and treats me really great. Its just for some reason my computer spending bugs her.

I hear ya bro. I have cars, model trains, computers and my mistress , high end audio :)

The secret is keeping her happy while you blow shitloads of money on your hobbies :) it's not easy to balance and over the last 15 yrs I've seen guys just upgrade the wife since they allowed her to have more power lol

EVGA-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti-Classified-KingPin-Edition-635x635.jpg

I hear ya bro. I have cars, model trains, computers and my mistress , high end audio :)

The secret is keeping her happy while you blow shitloads of money on your hobbies :) it's not easy to balance and over the last 15 yrs I've seen guys just upgrade the wife since they allowed her to have more power lol

I surprised her with a nice birthday gift and she went from "your not buying no graphics card" to "can I help you buy the card you want". Like I said, she is pretty good to be with.

Pardon me up front for the rant but.......
I'm all set to buy a new card to replace my 6970 with a 7970 when the 290/x series is announced by AMD along with Mantle. The cards finally get released for review and they perform great but are noisier than I can accept. Okay, lets wait for AIB cards. Then NVidia drops the price on their cards and comes out with the 780 Ti. Excellent cards, cool and quiet, but expensive. And what about Mantle? If I get a 780 Ti and Mantle really does alter the landscape then I'm screwed. Took me a year to save the money for this upgrade and whatever I buy I'm going to have to live with for at least two years. I'm feeling frustrated as hell. Got the money to buy either a red or a green top of the line card right now but am being forced to wait for AMD to get off their duff and release the Mantle patch for BF4 so we can see what it does, and hey AIB's, how about some non reference 290/x? I'VE GOT MONEY TO SPEND ON YOUR GOODIES.....GET A MOVE ON PLEASE!!!!

Even if the AIB's were out, you still will be waiting for stock because of the mining craze currently.

That's why I just went team green after selling my 7970's

Same here. I am selling my MSI HD7950 TwinFrozr Boost cards since I have no use for them. I gabbed two GTX780 SC from Newegg.

I hate to say that but AMD does not have EVGA as its partner and this company makes beautiful cards. EVGA FTW!

Not sure if this point matters, but I'm running Skyrim @ 2560x1660 with the high texture packs on a 660 / i7 920 / 24gb RAM and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I'm a big advocate of getting the tier below the top one - better bang for your buck. You could also impress the wife with spending less and if she's used to you spending less on some parts you could then upgrade more often ;)

I just picked up an MSi Twin Frozr 780 GTX today. I am currently using a fully unlocked 6950 2gb, at any rate I think for $420 after rebate it's the best card for the money due to the litecoin craze. I'm a fan of both companies and AMD certainly won me over in recent years, but with the prices being driven up the way they are I couldn't really pass up the deal.

I just picked up an MSi Twin Frozr 780 GTX today. I am currently using a fully unlocked 6950 2gb, at any rate I think for $420 after rebate it's the best card for the money due to the litecoin craze. I'm a fan of both companies and AMD certainly won me over in recent years, but with the prices being driven up the way they are I couldn't really pass up the deal.

Niiice, that's a steal man!

just sell me your 6970 cheap and jump to Nvidia, AMD is just not worth the cash currently for gamers because AIB will be sold out instantly when they pop up

Just get a factory overclocked 780. Mantle won't change anything. BF4 already runs just fine on high end hardware and Mantle won't make the game look any better. Physx however is already available on a lot of games and does make games look better.

Marriage... lol.

Indeed. Thats why I am in no rush to get married, finally got money to spend and I dont want to spend it on flowers and expensive dinners just yet. I mean why get married when there are cheap Hookers and blow? Am I right? :D

I know this is probably a dumb criticism, but the plastic cover on the classified makes it look like a cheap product. Not that it really matters, since it'll be inside a case out of sight... but it's strange that Evga chose that particular style.

I know this is probably a dumb criticism, but the plastic cover on the classified makes it look like a cheap product. Not that it really matters, since it'll be inside a case out of sight... but it's strange that Evga chose that particular style.

It's not dumb.. I feel the same way.

Seems EVGA found another use for these old things.

7100.jpg

I haven't seen one of those in 20 years. LOL

To the married men... I'm sure your wives spend a lot of money on makeup, bags, and shoes and never ask your permission to buy any of it. So why do you have to ask permission to buy things for yourself?

I really don't get the marriage appeal. From the minute you say "I do" they have you by the balls financially. You better pray they don't divorce you and talk over half of your stuff.

Back