• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wait for Vertical Sync

Do you enable wait for vertical sync?

  • Yes

    Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No

    Votes: 32 43.2%

  • Total voters
    74

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2009
Messages
1,480
This is more of just a poll to see how many people have it enabled. I generally do when my frame-rates get too high. I start to see "tearing" at around 90 fps so I have to enable it.
EDIT: Sorry for the typos in the thread title.
 
yeah i enable it for the same reasons as aaron does.. but there are just some games that absolutely refuse to run correctly when its on.. so it depends on if the game supports it correctly or not..
 
I hate when people ask for a yes or no to questions like this. OP there is nothing special happening at 90fps that makes you see more tearing. EVERY game is different and some tear horribly even at 20-30fps while others arent very noticeable no matter how high the framerate. even certain spots in a game can be completely different because things like flickering lights within a game can make tearing very noticeable. its best just to take it on a game by game basis.
 
Dead Space runs and looks a shit ton better with vsync on. It's currently the only game I enable it in.
 
Dead Space runs and looks a shit ton better with vsync on. It's currently the only game I enable it in.
for the most part the tearing in that game wasnt bad at all to me. it does feel better locked down with vsync though as that game wigs out a little when framerates get insanely high. people with low end setups will never get those crazy high framerates so they probably dont know what I mean. and of course with Dead Space users should always use their cards vsync and not the games because it caps you at half refresh rate.
 
Everything looks like hell without it. I use it on every game I play.
 
when i play online, i turn it off to reduce input lag. i hate frame tearing though so i turn it on in all single player games.
 
Why bother having great graphics if they're going to tear and have a bunch of wacky lines every time you mouselook quickly?
Yeah, it can sometimes have weird side effects (mouse issues mainly), but in most cases those things can be remedied with some tweaking. I'd rather spend some time tweaking that see image tearing.
 
Nope, 60fps in a lot of games makes it artificially seem less smooth, when you're running games at super high frame rates like 200fps they feel a lot more responsive.

The mouse lag also caused by vsync is horrendous, not to mention the rapidly changing frame rate if you can't maintain 60fps minumum in some games.

Tearing has never irritated me, even when you get lots of it, it just makes more of your screen up to date.
 
I can't play with vsync, I completely feel the mouse lag. Its unbearable IMO.
 
I keep it off and have for years. Tearing doesn't bother me one bit, but the mouse lag from vsync does.
 
Always. I can't stand tearing, and like to have my framerate locked and consistent. I also enable triple buffering. I either haven't run into the infamous input lag, (except for a short time on an early version of Quake IV) or have built-in compensation in my brain. :D

I'm fairly sensitive to framerate fluctuations, and it kind of detracts from immersion sometimes. That said, I usually have to have a pretty good video card to keep things running above sync (in order to stay at sync (60.)) I've decided to go mainstream though for a while with a 5770, so that may change a little bit. (I haven't been playing enough games lately to justify things like the GTX-295 and 5850 that I had.) That said, I'm pretty impressed with the performance of the 5770 so far. (I was expecting much worse.)
 
In single player games I like to have vsync but I can feel the mouse lag, is there a way to have vsync on and not have the mouse lag.
 
Sometimes. For twitch shooters, fast paced racing sims, and the like I turn it off. For RPG's, and other slow paced games I turn it on. In CCC it is normally set to "Off, unless application specifies." I still predominately game on a CRT so the tearing is not as bad with it off anyway.
 
Back
Top