Wait for the new i7 920 D0 stepping?

Let me look into my crystal ball here...

*peers into the ball of truth*

The D0 stepping is supposed to be much better than the current i7. Overclocks should be in the 4.2-4.4ghz range with lower temps on air cooling

Is the stepping thats supposed to overclock a tad better and handle lower temps (Extreme clockers) ?

Its coming in a month, if you can wait, sure, but the thing im wondering, since its a stepping, unless the old ones are not sold when its released, why does it matter unless you buy from sites that only sell the D0 Step

The D0 stepping is supposed to be much better than the current i7. Overclocks should be in the 4.2-4.4ghz range with lower temps on air cooling
Where are you getting this from? Speculation?

Its coming in a month, if you can wait, sure, but the thing im wondering, since its a stepping, unless the old ones are not sold when its released, why does it matter unless you buy from sites that only sell the D0 Step
Exactly - retailers will have to clear their current i7 inventories before the the new steppings become widely available. So um, yea, keep waiting...

Where are you getting this from? Speculation?

Exactly - retailers will have to clear their current i7 inventories before the the new steppings become widely available. So um, yea, keep waiting...

i dont think that the 920 overclocking was actually proven, but i do believe reading that intel said that the 940 would be OC'ing higher with lower temps, and since the 940 and 920 are basically the same, most can assume that the 920 would OC better also.

And as for the clearing stock, the last time i went to the microcenter near me they had a good stock of 940's and 965's, but sold out right away with the 920's :D

Isn't the rumour said that Intel might tweaking the new stepping for less overclocking capility like they did to the late Q6600?
Because i7 920 is hurting the sales of 940 & 965 at the moment due to it frantastic OC ability.

Seriously, who want to run overclocked i7 over 4ghz on air cooler? The temps will be whooping over 80ish degree:eek:

If you want to be 100% sure to get the new D0 stepping you can wait a bit for 950 to come out, it will have the D0 stepping.
I think i will do that, because if i would get a 920 with one of the old steppings instead of the D0 stepping i would cry myself to death. ^^

The 920 stepping means nothing for overclocking.

• New S-spec and Material Master numbers for the converting products.
• CPUID will change from 0x000106A4 to 0x000106A5.
• The electrical, mechanical and thermal specifications remain within the current specifications. Intel anticipates no changes to customer platforms designed to previous Intel guidelines.
• Readable serial number will be removed from the package ink swatch to fully mitigate the potential risk of the IHS cosmetically overlapping a marked serial number. There is no change to the ULT matrix content which continues to contain the serial number.

http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?/cpu_mainboard/core_i7_920_getting_new_stepping/1

According to the article, D0 stepping is just side step revision.
It is not like B1 to G0 for Q6660 or C1 to E0 for Q9xxx, well time will tell I guess.

New D0 stepping is purely a cosmetic change regarding the serial. NO EFFECT ON OVERCLOCKING WHATSOEVER.

thats right. dont think that just because the stepping changes it immediately means the predecessor is worthless and the new one overclocks 50% better. the only changes are the cpuid number and the direction that the serial number is displayed on the cpu. anything else is just a legend, rumor or pure bullshit. so if either of these changes make a big difference to you, by all means wait for d0.

thats right. dont think that just because the stepping changes it immediately means the predecessor is worthless and the new one overclocks 50% better. the only changes are the cpuid number and the direction that the serial number is displayed on the cpu. anything else is just a legend, rumor or pure bullshit. so if either of these changes make a big difference to you, by all means wait for d0.

Well, new stepping does mean better overclocks when Intel changes/improves manufacturing process whcih is obviously not the case here :)

I heard the new D0 stepping simultaneously destroys cancer and slashes AMD's profits, destroying every other computer hardware manufacturer so King Intel can reign supreme finally.

I heard the new D0 stepping simultaneously destroys cancer and slashes AMD's profits, destroying every other computer hardware manufacturer so King Intel can reign supreme finally.

You saying Intel doesn't reign supreme already?

Like all is a matter of luck, my 920 does 3.8Ghz at 1.26v and primes 24 hrs rock solid. I have seen some better chips than mine and some worse. D0 will be the same, unless they change something major the OC will be limited by the cooling you have. If you wait you may get a better or worse chip, but if you want to build now i'd say just go get it you won't be missing anything from the information i have read so far. The majority of 920 should hit 3.8ghz with little effort, 4.0ghz requires more finese and a big increase in vcore. I need 1.37 for 4.0ghz prime stable.

Back