• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Wait for BIOS/CPU revisions for x79?

MarkGerazzi

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 26, 2011
Messages
112
Hey again guys,

I've finally got my cart filled out at newegg with what I thought was the perfect build, but so many are telling me to wait off for the newer versions of the motherboards and 3930k.

Some stuff I found floating around the net:

1. Hardware C-States (Not dependant on BIOS implementation)
2. Support for DDR3-1333 with 4 Ram Modules (C2 would drop back to 1066 with 4)
3. general clocking improvments typical of a new stepping (100-200Mhz higher headroom)

I don't know if these are important or I will benefit, number 2 looks daunting, my 1600 ram will downclocked? Since 3930k is only c2 stepping.

Is there anything else I should consider with "revisions"?


I have a record label shooting me $1000 for the build and they'd like for me to be done by the end of the week, something is telling me to hold off as much as I need this for work.
 
Hey again guys,

I've finally got my cart filled out at newegg with what I thought was the perfect build, but so many are telling me to wait off for the newer versions of the motherboards and 3930k.

Some stuff I found floating around the net:

1. Hardware C-States (Not dependant on BIOS implementation)
2. Support for DDR3-1333 with 4 Ram Modules (C2 would drop back to 1066 with 4)
3. general clocking improvments typical of a new stepping (100-200Mhz higher headroom)

I don't know if these are important or I will benefit, number 2 looks daunting, my 1600 ram will downclocked? Since 3930k is only c2 stepping.

Is there anything else I should consider with "revisions"?


I have a record label shooting me $1000 for the build and they'd like for me to be done by the end of the week, something is telling me to hold off as much as I need this for work.

It seems this is a customer build. You can do what you wish but if it were my customer i would have already ordered the parts.

That stuff you seen floating around the net looks like complete crap not to mention it has no relavance to a computer being built for a record label.
 
a 3930K supports DDR3-1600 natively. So if you buy DDR3-1600 thats what it will run at. Your question isnt very clear.
 
I"m just confused with this statement. I'll be using 8 dimms

Support for DDR3-1333 with 4 Ram Modules (C2 would drop back to 1066 with 4)
 
you say you found this info "floating" around the net.

Do you consider the source credible? Have you asked the maker of the motherboard you intend to buy about it? I don't even see the motherboard listed. Do you build/sell computers for a living?
 
I"m just confused with this statement. I'll be using 8 dimms

Support for DDR3-1333 with 4 Ram Modules (C2 would drop back to 1066 with 4)

The processor supports 1600 out of the box and that has nothing to do with stepping. If you're unsure how the motherboard will handle 8 sticks of ram then check on the motherboard manual pdfs online when you've picked one out.
 
Back
Top